Comparing Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rockman

UDFA
Does anyone else see him being a Donnie Averie type? DA had speed and used it to burn a few defenses. But soon, they adjusted and He was just not as effective anymore. He only had a few branches of the route tree.

I kinda see Givens as the same. He was not as explosive last year and was not too effective on the underneath stuff. I hope I am wrong. Maybe we can just chalk it up to not being 100% healthy. But if health is an issue, he needs to toughen up and find a way. The good ones do.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which Donnie Avery? The stl version that sucked or the productive one?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a way. I'd say more Devery Henderson as, imo, Avery wasn't as good of a deep threat as he should have been. Like Henderson, Givens can take the top off a defense but I just don't have much confidence in him developing into something more. He's not willing to fight for the ball, he's not a crisp route runner, and he's not physical.

But he'll carve out a nice role for himself as a deep threat and a guy who can pick up yards after the catch with his speed. Good role player.

We'll see, though. I hope he proves me wrong.

Rockman

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
St. Louis. I did not watch him as closely when he left. Except Sports Center highlights.

tonyl711

Starter
he was injured most of the year, you say toughen up, but try running around with a bad foot, I don't care what WR you put out there, he will not be effective with a foot or leg injury.

Rockman

UDFA
he was injured most of the year, you say toughen up, but try running around with a bad foot, I don't care what WR you put out there, he will not be effective with a foot or leg injury.

Do we know for sure what that injury was?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
People seem to conveniently forget that KELLEN CLEMENS COULDN'T THROW THE DEEP BALL. W/o Sam CG didn't have as many chances to make big plays in 2013. I'm not excusing lack of physicality or inconsistent hands, but having Sam healthy will help him in 2014. Imo he has good potential to be a decent #2 type WR

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
People seem to conveniently forget that KELLEN CLEMENS COULDN'T THROW THE DEEP BALL. W/o Sam CG didn't have as many chances to make big plays in 2013. I'm not excusing lack of physicality or inconsistent hands, but having Sam healthy will help him in 2014. Imo he has good potential to be a decent #2 type WR
Exactly what I was going to post! Sam went out and Givens was taken out of the roster effectively

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Avery had his moments and looked liked he was coming around before his injury. I'll never get over them not getting Jackson, though. It's a Quick over Jeffery situation. Quick still has a good chance of redeeming Snead, though. He has to start now...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Avery had his moments and looked liked he was coming around before his injury. I'll never get over them not getting Jackson, though. It's a Quick over Jeffery situation. Quick still has a good chance of redeeming Snead, though. He has to start now...

Ugh, Alshon would be so perfect in out offense

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Givens was better at the deep crossing patterns than given credit for here. He fights for the ball better than Avery ever did too. He doesn't seem like he will ever be great but his speed will stretch the defense and there is value in that. At best he has Kevin Curtis like production, but he is not as bad as Avery was at this point.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Who actually knew who Quick was? Huge reach... We'll see

That i think has been the biggest curve-ball choice to date by Snead & Fisher, took me by surprise because he hadn't been on my radar, hopefully it all pans out :bow:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he's tougher than Avery,his route running may be a problem ,but I blame coaching,he'd run the routes right for Martz or wouldn't be able to sit for a month ( figuratively of course)
I saw the kid in person in training camp last year, he has the perfect size for a deep threat or a slot guy,small enough to be elusive as hell strong enough to be durable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Which begs the question; why was he on the field?

Clemens can't feed his bread and butter.

If he can't get his act together running routes, then he should be used more situationally, less full time.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
In a way. I'd say more Devery Henderson as, imo, Avery wasn't as good of a deep threat as he should have been. Like Henderson, Givens can take the top off a defense but I just don't have much confidence in him developing into something more. He's not willing to fight for the ball, he's not a crisp route runner, and he's not physical.

But he'll carve out a nice role for himself as a deep threat and a guy who can pick up yards after the catch with his speed. Good role player.

We'll see, though. I hope he proves me wrong.
This is exactly how I view Givens .... and wouldn't be surprised at all if he is the one who might not have a spot.... if he doesn't step it up.

Rockman

UDFA

Your actually supporting my case here. I want to see more production with short to intermediate routes, with occasionally busting one all the way. But right now, he's only making the occasional big play. Kellen should have been able to use him that way.

iced

there's a productive one?

Does anyone else see him being a Donnie Averie type? DA had speed and used it to burn a few defenses. But soon, they adjusted and He was just not as effective anymore. He only had a few branches of the route tree.

I kinda see Givens as the same. He was not as explosive last year and was not too effective on the underneath stuff. I hope I am wrong. Maybe we can just chalk it up to not being 100% healthy. But if health is an issue, he needs to toughen up and find a way. The good ones do.

and he had the most drops on the team (in fact his drop percentage was one of the highest in the nfl (15% total, 73rd in the nfl)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/24/sig-stats-drop-rate-wrs/

I wouldn't say he needs to stay after and practice with the juggs machine..he should just not leave practice

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
there's a productive one?

and he had the most drops on the team

I wouldn't say he needs to stay after and practice with the juggs machine..he should just not leave practice

more productive one? maybe that was just what it seemed like in my fantasy league lol