Comments, questions, concerns: The way too early Camp Convo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
1) Sounds like the timing on deep passes from Goff to Cooks is going well but a work in progress (some completions, some misses).

2) John Franklin-Meyers name is popping up a lot, already. That could be awesome for DL depth. Question though: Where will most of his reps come from through camp, OLB or DL??

3) Notebroom and Demby seem to be getting a number of reps. (Not surprising, in-of-itself) At this point, I guess all one can say is that they don't look lost and that they look the part... how will this evolve?

4) Not much word on how OLBs are looking yet. Only that Longacre is back. No real word on how Ebukam looks.

5) Has Barron practiced at all yet?? Sounds like Littleton has the Mike spot locked up. Wilson and Hager platooning at the other spot? (Wilson sounds like a great bargain pickup). Scales and Kiser sound like they'll have to show more when pads go on for them to dent the 1st string.

6) Secondary is as advertised. Lock Angeles. But oh, that depth! I can totally see why someone mentioned we might want that special dime personnel on the field more (3-2-6). Peterson could be the heir apparent to Talib if he ends up being a one year rental. Hill's no slouch. Joyner will earn himself a fat contract from some other team this year.

7) John Kelly looks like a find and an excellent option for 3rd RB. Bye-bye Davis.
'
8) Tight ends... Everett has improved, but by how much. Hemmingway quite so far seemingly. Highbee gets talked up by coaches but sounds like the same issues remain with catching the ball.

9) Depth at receiver is pretty good! Reynolds sounds like he needs to work on juggs machine tho.

Did I miss any observations?

Last edited:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
1) Sounds like the timing on deep passes from Goff to Cooks is going well but a work in progress (some completions, some misses).

2) John Franklin-Meyers name is popping up a lot, already. That could be awesome for DL depth. Question though: Where will most of his reps come from through camp, OLB or DL??

3) Notebroom and Demby seem to be getting a number of reps. (Not surprising, in-of-itself) At this point, I guess all one can say is that they don't look lost and that they look the part... how will this evolve.

4) Not much word on how OLBs are looking yet. Only that Longacre is back. No really word on how Ebukam looks.

5) Has Barron practiced at all yet?? Sounds like Littleton has the Mike spot locked up. Wilson and Hager platooning at the other spot? (Wilson sounds like a great bargain pickup).

6) Secondary is as advertised. Lock Angeles. But oh, that depth! I can totally see why someone mentioned we might want that special dime personnel on the field more (3-2-6). Peterson could be the heir apparent to Talib if he ends up being a one year rental. Hill's no slouch. Joyner will earn himself a fat contract from some other team this year.

7) John Kelly looks like a find and an excellent option for 3rd RB. Bye-bye Davis.
'
8) Tight ends... Everett has improved, but by how much. Hemmingway quite so far seemingly. Highbee gets talked up by coaches but sounds like the same issues remain with catching the ball.

9) Depth at receiver is pretty good! Reynolds sounds like he needs to work on juggs machine tho.

Did I miss any observations?

Very good synopsis!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice summary. (y)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I’m still waiting to hear more about our LB log jamb. Lots of guys. Open spots seem to be closing. Kiser? Obo? Ramik? Littleton? Longacre? Ebukam? Is Franklin-Meyer an OLB or hand in the dirt? Lawler? Hager? Of course Barron. Hard to believe there aren’t a few better-than-competent bodies in this group.

I still think a couple stars emerge. It’ll be fun to watch.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee is on year three, if memory serves, and has the same issues with catching the ball in traffic. Should we just resign ourselves to the fact that he's just a traditional blocking TE?

fearsomefour

Legend
Higbee is on year three, if memory serves, and has the same issues with catching the ball in traffic. Should we just resign ourselves to the fact that he's just a traditional blocking TE?
No.
Also, his blocking was pretty subpar until the second half of last year.
Players can develop and grow.
I expect an improved year out of Higbee this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No.
Also, his blocking was pretty subpar until the second half of last year.
Players can develop and grow.
I expect an improved year out of Higbee this year.

I would normally agree with this for any other position, but the Rams can't seem to spin silk from a sows ear in the Tight End development process. If he can't block and he can't figure out the "catching the ball in traffic" thing, lets cut him. Gurley sort of does the job of a catching TE?

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

I think our depth with CBs outside of Peters, Talib, and NRC is solid. Hill had a good game in the NFC Division game against the Falcons and Peterson showed flashes on week 17 against Garoppolo.

I expect us to draft a DB this next offseason to compete as Talib's successor.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I still have high hopes for Higbee, but it does remind me of the years of frustration we endured with Lance Handbricks.

Hopefully Higbee emerges this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would normally agree with this in any other position, by the Rams can't seem to spin silk from a sows ear in the Tight End development process. If he can't block and he can't figure out the "catching the ball in traffic" thing, lets cut him. Gurley sort of does the job of a catching TE?
Or kept a true blocking TE on the roster.
Truth is its way too early to tell with any of the TEs on the roster.
Higbee was better as a TE last year than year one....would expect continued improvement.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have hope for our TEs because they are getting world class coaching. But that said I think we overvalue our TE roster. There is talent at the position but it's no sure thing that someone is gonna step up.

Higs needs to improve his hands & focus. Everette can make contested catches and has RAC but is very inconsistent. Hemingway meh needs to stay healthy and show he can do just about everything.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
No real word on how Ebukam looks.
Actually early on in training camp McVay said he was real pleased with how Ebukam is looking, being real quick and strong in his attack.
Sounds like Littleton has the Mike spot locked up. Wilson and Hager platooning at the other spot?
In the article posted today about the ranking of the wide receivers on therams.com site that Ebukam and Barron already have their starting spots all seen up with Littleton, Wilson, and Kiser battling for the other ILB, and Longacre likely winning the other spot outside opposite Ebukam.

Last edited: