Colt Lyerla time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Time to start rolling the dice.

Another gambles worth taking is Seantrel Henderson

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather take a good football player than roll the dice on athletes that don't give a shit. Just my opinion, though. Merits to both strategies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The odds of a 6th round pick making this team are somewhat slim as it is - at least take the huge upside if you can get their head on straight. But the Rams may still have guys on their board that are both skilled and have good attitudes.

FRO

Legend
I was hoping for Aaron Murray. Just stay true to the board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously guys? There's a filter for curse words that you can choose to use if you don't want to see them. No reason to hit inappropriate because there's a curse word in a post. It wasn't used to insult any poster or Rams player.

The odds of a 6th round pick making this team are somewhat slim as it is - at least take the huge upside if you can get their head on straight. But the Rams may still have guys on their board that are both skilled and have good attitudes.

I don't think the odds are slim. We're not the 49ers or Seahawks yet. Still building up our team.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:
Seriously guys? There's a filter for curse words that you can choose to use if you don't want to see them. No reason to hit inappropriate because there's a curse word in a post. It wasn't used to insult any poster or Rams player.
I've had questions myself about the use of the Inappropriate button. I've used it before but I don't like the fact that unlike the like button, your name isn't associated with it. I also don't know if you can take one back. I didn't know someone used it on one of your posts and after I found it I couldn't understand why it was used. I think it was an inappropriate use of that button in this case. I'm pretty sure it's a new poster who is unaware of its true purpose. Let's hope no one uses it for that again in the future. I apologize for the rest of us who aren't idiots.

FRO

Legend
Sometimes I accidentally hit inappropriate when scrolling on my phone. That was my bad.

Alan

Legend
FRO owning up:
Sometimes I accidentally hit inappropriate when scrolling on my phone. That was my bad.
Thanks FRO. I didn't really think someone did it on purpose. (y)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it was because your opinions suck.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Packers giving Colt Lyerla a tryout this weekend
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 16, 2014

coltlyerla.jpg
AP

One of the more talented players eligible for the NFL Draft wasn’t even drafted.

But for the weekend at least, the Packers are willing to give tight end Colt Lyerla a chance.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com tweeted out a picture of the Packers rookie minicamp roster, which listed Lyerla among the tryout players.

Lyerla had a load of off-field issues at Oregon, and a drug arrest shortly after leaving school last fall, which made him radioactive during the draft.

He also fell victim to the modern plague of saying stupid things on Twitter, which some people take more seriously than drugs.

There’s no doubt Lyerla can play, but the fact he’s singing for his supper in Green Bay this weekend shows how nervous teams are about guys with character concerns.

V3

Hall of Fame
I've had questions myself about the use of the Inappropriate button. I've used it before but I don't like the fact that unlike the like button, your name isn't associated with it. I also don't know if you can take one back. I didn't know someone used it on one of your posts and after I found it I couldn't understand why it was used. I think it was an inappropriate use of that button in this case. I'm pretty sure it's a new poster who is unaware of its true purpose. Let's hope no one uses it for that again in the future. I apologize for the rest of us who aren't idiots.

Not that I was the one who used it in this case but I think it would be bad if the names showed up. That would start all kinds of wars. It's fine the way it is. It's not like his post is going to get dropped.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Colt Lyerla the latest player Ted Thompson takes a chance on
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 20, 2014

t-thompson2.jpg

Not everyone was willing to even consider Colt Lyerla.

But the Packers have shown a willingness, perhaps even a fondness for second chances, and General Manager Ted Thompson made it clear that there are certain players he’s willing to stick his neck out for.

The Packers signed Lyerla after a free agent tryout. The talented former Oregon tight end wasn’t drafted, after leaving the team in October and then getting arrested on drug charges.

“You weigh it all. And every case is an individual case,” Thompson said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com. “We have always believed that, or I have always believed, that there are certain things . . . that people can atone for, acknowledge their mistakes and get on with their lives. And I am a proponent of those kind of people that try to do that. And that’s where we’re at with Colt.”

The Packers have given out chances at redemption before, for players such as Koren Robinson and most recently Johnny Jolly.

Thompson said he talked to many people about Lyerla’s troubled background, and clearly did plenty of evaluation of his football skills as well. The kid is clearly talented, and had the best vertical leap and broad jump in his group at the Combine, running a 4.59-second 40 as well.

Let’s not be naive, it’s also easier to give chances when you have a stable organization and strong leadership and a quarterback.

But Thompson also obviouisly places a value on a good redemption story, which can help lift a team as well — especially if the guy can play.

BeerOClock

Rookie
I guess the Packers miss Jermichael Finley.

....for both his athleticism at TE on the field and his drama off the field.