College football - I don't get it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I see that the Heisman trophy winner led his Florida State team to wins by an average of 42 points, with each win being by at least 14 points. He's broken team records in the process.

I realise that bowl games are much more competitive but i struggle to see how the regular season schedule can possibly be entertaining given the kind of stats shown above.

It must also make the job of an NFL scout very difficult. How can they accurately assess talent when these players are pummelling poorer teams most weeks? No wonder so many players struggle with the step up to the pros.

I realise that the NCAA and the NFL are entirely separate but the two systems are set up completely differently when it comes to parity

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I see that the Heisman trophy winner led his Florida State team to wins by an average of 42 points, with each win being by at least 14 points. He's broken team records in the process.

I realise that bowl games are much more competitive but i struggle to see how the regular season schedule can possibly be entertaining given the kind of stats shown above.

It must also make the job of an NFL scout very difficult. How can they accurately assess talent when these players are pummelling poorer teams most weeks? No wonder so many players struggle with the step up to the pros.

I realise that the NCAA and the NFL are entirely separate but the two systems are set up completely differently when it comes to parity

The gap of talent is only wider in the weaker conferences. Florida State plays in the ACC, imo one of the weaker major conferences. If you look at the 14-team ACC, Florida State & Clemson are really the only "good" teams, and they do beat up on the lesser schools.

But if you look at conferences like the SEC or the Pac-12 (to a lesser extent), sure there are the powerhouse schools in each conference (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Oregon, USC), but I think the playing field is slightly more level than other conferences. Its much easier to evaluate talent in the stronger conferences like the SEC & Pac-12 because most weeks teams will be facing legitimate competition and teams that feature handfuls of NFL hopefuls.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The gap of talent is only wider in the weaker conferences. Florida State plays in the ACC, imo one of the weaker major conferences. If you look at the 14-team ACC, Florida State & Clemson are really the only "good" teams, and they do beat up on the lesser schools.

But if you look at conferences like the SEC or the Pac-12 (to a lesser extent), sure there are the powerhouse schools in each conference (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Oregon, USC), but I think the playing field is slightly more level than other conferences. Its much easier to evaluate talent in the stronger conferences like the SEC & Pac-12 because most weeks teams will be facing legitimate competition and teams that feature handfuls of NFL hopefuls.

Good man. Thanks for the explanation. Are Auburn likely to beat Florida State in the BCS Championship? (I've no idea what conference Auburn are in)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good man. Thanks for the explanation. Are Auburn likely to beat Florida State in the BCS Championship? (I've no idea what conference Auburn are in)

Auburn is in the SEC. I don't know about likely but I wouldn't write them off. Their defense will have to slow down Winston though...but Auburn's offense is crazy hard to stop. They ran right through two of the nation's best defenses in Alabama and Missouri.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I'm not believing you mentioned USC with those other teams. :rofl: But I get what you are saying. The ACC, although obviously not as strong as the SEC, Big 12, Big 10. or Pac 12 isn't as weak as perceived. Miami, VT, and GT usually field pretty competitive teams and all have played or won Nat'l championships in the past. Ever since the NCAA cut the number of scholarships a school can offer, the gap has closed and schools like UCF have become capable of beating those marquee schools on any given Saturday. FSU, this year, have put it all together in every facet of the game. They have beaten traditional powerhouses just about as soundly as the also rans of D1. The Seminoles look to be one of those once in a decade kind of teams that stand head and shoulders above the rest of the country. They look poised to dethrone the six year run of SEC Nat'l Championships.

The elite talent scouts stand apart from the rest of the crowd in their ability to go down to the lower divisions like D1AA and D2 of college football and find NFL caliber performers. But even they probably get lucky more than not in finding a Jerry Rice playing at a school such as Mississippi Valley State. Check out the list of these kind of guys currently playing in the NFL.

Player, Team College Career Highlight
Source: NFL
DE Jared Allen, Vikings Idaho State Five-time All-Star; has six consecutive 10-sack seasons
WR Miles Austin, Cowboys Monmouth Two-time All-Star; had 1,000 receiving yards in 2009 and 2010
WR Victor Cruz, New York Giants Massachusetts Set Giants season record with 1,536 receiving yards in 2011
WR Marques Colston, Saints Hofstra Only Saint to record six career 1,000-yard seasons
LB Zak DeOssie, New York Giants Brown Two-time All-Star as long snapper
G Jahri Evans, Saints Bloomsburg Four-time All-Star; has started all 112 career games
WR Pierre Garcon, Washington Mount Union Led team in receiving yards (633) last season
FB Jerome Felton, Vikings Furman Named to 2013 Pro Bowl
CB Cortland Finnegan, Rams Samford Named to 2009 Pro Bowl; 16 interceptions from 2008-12
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, Titans Harvard Passed for 3,000 yards in each of past three seasons with the Bills
QB Joe Flacco, Ravens Delaware Super Bowl XLVII MVP; has club record 102 career TD passes
LB London Fletcher, Washington John Carroll Played in 240 consecutive games, longest active streak in NFL
RB Chris Ivory, New York Jets Tiffin Rushed for 1,307 yards & eight TDs in 24 games with Saints
WR Vincent Jackson, Bucanneers Northern Colorado Three-time All-Star; had career-high 1,384 rec. yards last year
WR Jacoby Jones, Ravens Lane Named to 2013 Pro Bowl; had three 105+ yard KR-TDs in 2012
FB John Kuhn, Packers Shippensburg Named to 2012 Pro Bowl
DE Robert Mathis, Colts Alabama A&M Four-time All-Star; has 91.5 career sacks
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Broncos Tennessee State Named to 2010 Pro Bowl; has 16 career INTs in five seasons
QB Tony Romo, Cowboys Eastern Illinois Three-time All-Star; has four 4,000-yard seasons
T Michael Roos, Titans Eastern Washington Named to 2009 Pro Bowl; has started 127 career games
K Adam Vinatieri, Colts South Dakota State Two-time All-Star; has four Super Bowl victories
WR Nate Washington, Titans Tiffin Led Titans in receiving yards in each of past two seasons
CB Lardarius Webb, Ravens Nicholls State Registered team-high five interceptions in 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
IMO, More than likely it will be a boring game. Auburn is FAR superior.
Of course you mention USC, with more players in the NFL than any other School for most if not all of the last decade

Last edited by a moderator:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Of course you mention USC with more players in the NFL than any other School most if not all of the last decade

I agree; Auburn's run game is amazing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course you mention USC with more players in the NFL than any other School most if not all of the last decade
And there win/loss record is what? major bowl appearances in that time frame? The University of Virginia has put quite a few in the NFL too but...............

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Theese are the players from USC in the NFL right now

David AusberryOakland RaidersTight End
Sam BakerAtlanta FalconsOffensive Tackle
Matt BarkleyPhiladelphia EaglesQuarterback
Allen BradfordNew York GiantsLinebacker
Charles BrownNew Orleans SaintsOffensive Tackle
Reggie BushDetroit LionsRunning Back
Jeff ByersCarolina PanthersCenter
Jordan CameronCleveland BrownsTight End
Brandon CarswellSan Francisco 49ersWide Receiver
Jurrell CaseyTennessee TitansDefensive Tackle
Matt CasselMinnesota VikingsQuarterback
Brian CushingHouston TexansLinebacker
Fred DavisWashington RedskinsTight End
Rhett EllisonMinnesota VikingsTight End
Everson GriffenMinnesota VikingsDefensive End
Stanley HaviliIndianapolis ColtsFullback
Khaled HolmesIndianapolis ColtsCenter
Wes HortonCarolina PanthersDefensive End
Winston JusticeDenver BroncosOffensive Tackle
Ryan KalilCarolina PanthersCenter
Matt KalilMinnesota VikingsOffensive Tackle
Kaluka MaiavaOakland RaidersLinebacker
Clay MatthewsGreen Bay PackersLinebacker
Rey MaualugaCincinnati BengalsLinebacker
Taylor MaysCincinnati BengalsSafety
Anthony McCoySeattle SeahawksTight End
T.J. McDonaldSt. Louis RamsSafety
Fili MoalaIndianapolis ColtsDefensive End
Mike MorganSeattle SeahawksLinebacker
Carson PalmerArizona CardinalsQuarterback
Mike PattersonNew York GiantsDefensive Tackle
Nick PerryGreen Bay PackersLinebacker
Troy PolamaluPittsburgh SteelersSafety
Keith RiversNew York GiantsLinebacker
Nickell RobeyBuffalo BillsDefensive Back
Frostee RuckerArizona CardinalsDefensive End
Mark SanchezNew York JetsQuarterback
Tyron SmithDallas CowboysOffensive Tackle
Malcolm SmithSeattle SeahawksLinebacker
Jawanza StarlingHouston TexansSafety
Terrell ThomasNew York GiantsCornerback
Christian TupouChicago BearsDefensive Tackle
Damian WilliamsTennessee TitansWide Receiver
Robert WoodsBuffalo BillsWide Receiver
Shareece WrightSan Diego ChargersCornerback

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
here is the list for all time
The only point being made is that Rams 24/7 made a valid point
Notre Dame 462
USC 461
Ohio State 390
Oklahoma 339
Michigan 332
Nebraska 331
Tennessee 321
Penn State 317
Texas 316
Miami (FL) 294
Florida 289

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
here is the list for all time
The only point being made is that Rams 24/7 made a valid point
Notre Dame 462
USC 461
Ohio State 390
Oklahoma 339
Michigan 332
Nebraska 331
Tennessee 321
Penn State 317
Texas 316
Miami (FL) 294
Florida 289

Four Big Ten teams on this list, surprising when only two SEC and two Big 12 are there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It just is.

And you can still assess talent. You can still break down their technique, attributes and nitpick the hell out of guys. It's a little more difficult if they don't face any major competition but still very much possible.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
It just is.

And you can still assess talent. You can still break down their technique, attributes and nitpick the hell out of guys. It's a little more difficult if they don't face any major competition but still very much possible.
That's why scouts don't just base players off stats. They'll study these players in the games, and they get excited when 2 top talents go head to head.