Colin Cowherd on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I just watched a segment where Cowherd reacts to news that Goff is the third best QB on the Ram depth chart. He reminds everyone that Freshmen QB's are rarely expected to lead their teams the first year in HS and College ball. He says that Prescott was behind the best OLine in football and only saw two exotic blitzes and threw a pick that was called back on one of them. His point is that Dak's success means nothing and Goff's struggles are to be expected. He continued by saying that Goff will win in time based on his thinking pre and post snap as opposed to athleticism and compared him more to Brady and Luck as opposed to how others rate rookie QB's like RGIII, Vick, and Vince Young based on athleticism alone. Cowherd is preaching patience and that in time Goff will be a good QB.

I actually agreed with Colin here... I may need to reevaluate my thinking now...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
giphy.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just watched a segment where Cowherd reacts to news that Goff is the third best QB on the Ram depth chart. He reminds everyone that Freshmen QB's are rarely expected to lead their teams the first year in HS and College ball. He says that Prescott was behind the best OLine in football and only saw two exotic blitzes and threw a pick that was called back on one of them. His point is that Dak's success means nothing and Goff's struggles are to be expected. He continued by saying that Goff will win in time based on his thinking pre and post snap as opposed to athleticism and compared him more to Brady and Luck as opposed to how others rate rookie QB's like RGIII, Vick, and Vince Young based on athleticism alone. Cowherd is preaching patience and that in time Goff will be a good QB.

I actually agreed with Colin here... I may need to reevaluate my thinking now...

Cowherd gets it. He is hated by many but usually takes a logical view on these sorts of things.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've never watched or listened to Cowherd but the ads for his show that I've seen on game pass make it seem like he's one of those shouty, say anything to get a reaction types.

When I saw the thread title I assumed he'd be saying that Goff is a bust and how the Rams made a huge mistake.

Pleasantly surprised to read he's being sensible about it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree with that analysis.

Goff is going to be fine, is he going to be HOFer who knows what the next decade will bring. We just need to be patient and let him develop even if that means he does not start for a few games.

I would not mind seeing him get the start in PS week 3 just to see how he handles it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Thing with Cowherd is he knows the game and his opinions are usually ok - but he has his favorite guys and his teams and he can be blinded by his homerism for them, way past the point loyalty should demand it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm still on the fence about when to start him.
At this point I think Keenum can win games. I'm not sure if Goff can yet.
Guys like Manning and Aiken had rough 1st years in the league, but they took their lumps and came out strong their 2nd year.

Do we risk a losing record by starting Goff?
Goff is going to be our long term qb. early struggles are part of the growth process, so why not just put him in now?
Does Keenum really give us a better opportunity to win now?

As much as I want to start the Goff era immedialtley, I'm leaning towards starting Keenum the first month or so. I think he gives us a better chance to win today and seems to have nice command of the offense.
The team also seems to like Keenum. Putting Goff in if he's still lost could send a message that were not playing for this year.

I really want to see Goff with the entire starting unit. It's tough to make a decision when both qbs aren't playing with the same unit.
Goff may shine. If he does than we have our answer. He starts.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I've never watched or listened to Cowherd but the ads for his show that I've seen on game pass make it seem like he's one of those shouty, say anything to get a reaction types.

When I saw the thread title I assumed he'd be saying that Goff is a bust and how the Rams made a huge mistake.

Pleasantly surprised to read he's being sensible about it.

He's usually pretty detailed and thoughtful in his analysis - it's just he comes across as a know it all and the smartest guy in the room.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm still on the fence about when to start him.
At this point I think Keenum can win games. I'm not sure if Goff can yet.
Guys like Manning and Aiken had rough 1st years in the league, but they took their lumps and came out strong their 2nd year.

Do we risk a losing record by starting Goff?
Goff is going to be our long term qb. early struggles are part of the growth process, so why not just put him in now?
Does Keenum really give us a better opportunity to win now?

As much as I want to start the Goff era immedialtley, I'm leaning towards starting Keenum the first month or so. I think he gives us a better chance to win today and seems to have nice command of the offense.
The team also seems to like Keenum. Putting Goff in if he's still lost could send a message that were not playing for this year.

I really want to see Goff with the entire starting unit. It's tough to make a decision when both qbs aren't playing with the same unit.
Goff may shine. If he does than we have our answer. He starts.
I'm in the same boat for regular season starter that why I figure why not give him a baptism against last years SB winner and see what happens. Give him a quarter and if he's buried let Keenum go in for the next quarter or two with the 1's and give Mannion the 4th quarter. If he's holding his own let him play the first half and see what happens.

At least then we know if he's really not ready and it brings down the 1s performance then Keenum gets the regular season start in SF and Goff sits until he proves tot he coaching staff he's ready for another chance.

If he's able to improve and the team is moving the ball let him start the last PS game and see who is looking for a back up, dangle Keenum and see who bites. They can always keep all 3.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm in the same boat for regular season starter that why I figure why not give him a baptism against last years SB winner and see what happens. Give him a quarter and if he's buried let Keenum go in for the next quarter or two with the 1's and give Mannion the 4th quarter. If he's holding his own let him play the first half and see what happens.

At least then we know if he's really not ready and it brings down the 1s performance then Keenum gets the regular season start in SF and Goff sits until he proves tot he coaching staff he's ready for another chance.

If he's able to improve and the team is moving the ball let him start the last PS game and see who is looking for a back up, dangle Keenum and see who bites. They can always keep all 3.
I'm in in a agreement with starting him aginst Denver also.
We all know there is no QB controversy. Goff is going to be our qbsooner or later. Let him play with the 1's and see how he does. Maybe he'll show enough that he could start week 1.
It's not a question of how well Keenum plays, it's all about when the coaches think Goff is ready.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Agree and disagree.
Goff throws the ball with great velocity and was as fast as wentz. He is definitely athletic. What worries me is he spends too much time looking downfield for that open man. That's when he gets in trouble.

Mannion is not ahead of Goff. Watch the 1st game again and see how Mannion almost threw two picks, was inaccurate on some throws and was scared to take shots downfield. Cap'n Checkdown.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Agree and disagree.
Goff throws the ball with great velocity and was as fast as wentz. He is definitely athletic. What worries me is he spends too much time looking downfield for that open man. That's when he gets in trouble.

Mannion is not ahead of Goff. Watch the 1st game again and see how Mannion almost threw two picks, was inaccurate on some throws and was scared to take shots downfield. Cap'n Checkdown.

Bingo on Mannion.

Goff is fine. Once he gets more reps, the mental game will slow down for him and he'll shine.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Nope! Goff is a bust! Jk kinda, im still not sold on him just like I wasn't sold on him before the draft. I agree that he is not ready to start but my question is how will he get ready without playing? Say Keenum starts the first three games, what will make Goff ready to start without playing any of those games?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Id rather he keep that habit - of always looking downfield - looking for the tds on every play, than becoming a check down artist....

The game will slow down and he'll make that read a bit quicker is all.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I don't agree. I just don't see the benefit of not playing. The only way he's going to get used to the speed of the game is by playing in it.
Maybe he costs us a game or two early because he's learning but will make up for later in the season
He'll have his learning curve whenever he takes over, why not start now

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I am being positive about Goff, he's a smart kid and will learn what he needs to and get where he needs to be, may not be this season. As far as Cowherd is concerned, I think he's wicked smart, a little arrogant but hey, he's a personality.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm in in a agreement with starting him aginst Denver also.
We all know there is no QB controversy. Goff is going to be our qb sooner or later. Let him play with the 1's and see how he does. Maybe he'll show enough that he could start week 1.
It's not a question of how well Keenum plays,
it's all about when the coaches think Goff is ready.

You make too damn much logical sense Dodger.... That's exactly my thinking.. Does Keenum really need to start the traditional 3rd preseason dress rehearsal because if he doesn't he will be less prepared to start in Frisco?

If Goff gets pulled at Denver in the 2nd quarter for Keenum because he was unable to move the ball against Denver's 1's, does anyone really believe this will hurt Keenum's ability to perform in the season opener and or hurt Goff's psyche and ruin his confidence for the rest of his rookie season? No freaking way, I'm not buying that crap....

Starting Goff in the 1st QTR is the perfect scenario and if he looks good let him finish the first half. If he shows no progress and shits his pants, yank his ass out and let Keenum finish the first half and put the Goff mystery to an end, until he is ready in a month or two or what ever the time frame needed is etc..

It really is just that simple. Goff is not a mentally weak minded, soft spoiled brat that will cry and fall apart and never recover from a bad outing. It would only make him work on his craft all that much more harder like he has been doing all along.

Keenum would still have another 1st QTR tuneup 5 days later at the Vikings and 9 more days to prepare after that, for the fully installed game plan at SF Monday night.

I chuckle about how much emphasis of importance is put on Keenum needing to start the first half of the 3rd traditional preseason game.

Again..... From the minute Keenum stops playing in the Broncos game he will have 5 days to prepare for the final preseason game (a minimum of 1 or 2 series at Minnesota) and another 10 days after that until opening day.

Keenum doesn't need to start at Denver. Start Goff and if he looks over-matched after the first QTR.. Then you bring in Keenum but at least the kid will have gotten a good taste of what its like to play against a stud Denver defense with the full compliment of Gurley and company having his back. I see no harm in this theory at all..

Again, that was a great post Dodger
as well as the others that shared your view...

notinjured.0.gif

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Lol... Cowherd...

Cowherd occasionally gets lucky and makes a good comment.

He is 95% trash... he might be one of my all time least favorite sports talk dudes.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Well, I don't agree. I just don't see the benefit of not playing. The only way he's going to get used to the speed of the game is by playing in it.
Maybe he costs us a game or two early because he's learning but will make up for later in the season
He'll have his learning curve whenever he takes over, why not start now

See: Derek Carr