Cole: Report: Rams could start Mannion if Goff struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The preseason will be interesting to see our new players and scheme. It won't make a lick of difference for Goff and Mannion.

The verdict is still out in other words on who can lead this offense?...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You're welcome to see things how you will, but it's not out for me.

I am seeing how it is realistically. Regardless both of these QB's are under new management, whether they perform up to par is to be determined. Time from here on out will tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am seeing how it is realistically. Regardless both of these QB's are under new management, whether they perform up to par is to be determined. Time from here on out will tell.

Perception is reality. The reality I perceive has all of the Rams offensive coaches coming out to the media supporting Goff, speaking about his leadership, and pushing him as the guy. It's pretty clear to me whom the Rams envision leading their offense.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Non story. Every player in football is in danger of being benched if they stink bad enough. The difference is, some guys have longer leashes than others. I would guess that Goff has among the longest leashes in the league.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Perception is reality. The reality I perceive has all of the Rams offensive coaches coming out to the media supporting Goff, speaking about his leadership, and pushing him as the guy. It's pretty clear to me whom the Rams envision leading their offense.

To whoms perception is their reality?...Who? You have to take into account McVay came into a doo doo storm, and now he has to adapt and overcome...What our reality is as Rams fans is to have a great season..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The preseason will be interesting to see our new players and scheme. It won't make a lick of difference for Goff and Mannion.
Actually it would its the perfect chance to see how Goff adjust to the new scheme it's the perfect chance to see if his mental game has finally caught up with his supposed talent.

For Mannion it's to see if he can be a valuable back up. It's to test his strengths and weaknesses to finally see what we have in him.

He outplayed Goff last year in the preseason and when Goff did play he looked worse then he did in the preseason so yeah I think this is important.

Do you remember Luck first game in the preseason, his first throw in his career. His team was scheming and using plays that they were going to run in the regular season to get him up to speed and see how he really look. That's what I expect from McVay I expect to see how our offense is going to look and I expect to see Goff execute it. But if he struggle in the preseason again and just look terrible then yeah I'm definitely going to be worried and if Mannion out plays him again in the preseason then yeah questions are going to come up.

It's in Goff best interest to quiet these types of stories in PRESEASON and don't let them linger on into the season

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and in other news back up starts if starter sucks shocker ... :blah:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To whoms perception is their reality?...Who? You have to take into account McVay came into a doo doo storm, and now he has to adapt and overcome...What our reality is as Rams fans is to have a great season..

Everybody's perception is their reality. It's why I always chuckle a bit when people label their opinion as "realistic" or "realism." You're simply telling us your reality. Most everybody does the same thing. It's an opinion.

It's clear what the Rams are doing. They're supporting Goff via the media. That tells you that they picked their horse to back. If Goff sucks, I don't doubt that they'll go to Mannion if he gives us a better chance to win, but Goff will get his chance first. And I have total confidence in Goff.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

The OC said Jared Goff was the starting QB on day 1 of the rookie mini-camp. It is not in any doubt who the starter is and it is going to take quite a few bad games for Jared to be benched.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The OC said Jared Goff was the starting QB on day 1 of the rookie mini-camp. It is not in any doubt who the starter is and it is going to take quite a few bad games for Jared to be benched.

I know he will start...He would have to be as bad as Fitzpatrick to get benched. He won't even get to that level on McVays watch anyways.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If I go to the beach I will get sand in my shorts.

WTF. This is journalism now? OFC Mannon will play if Goff struggles. That's why Mannon is a BACK UP...

wmc540

Pro Bowler
90% of what Jason Cole reports is either basic, obvious observation or shoddy information. Either way, it's lazy journalism (if you can call it that).

He also tweets some weird stuff when he isn't talking about sports.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I go to the beach I will get sand in my shorts.

WTF. This is journalism now? OFC Mannon will play if Goff struggles. That's why Mannon is a BACK UP...

As I noted before, that's not the case for every team. Teams with top QBs, to turn around a metaphor, "will allow their ship to go down with their Captain"

If we go 0-2 and Goff is looking terrible with 4+ INTs per game, then don't expect him to keep starting especially if Mannion's looks good in the preseason.

The takeaway is only that Goff isn't untouchable and while he has the pole position and the team will give him every chance to win, if he falters (which again, I don't expect in the slightest) then he will be pulled.

Goff won't get "quite a few games". He's never done anything to earn that latitude.

I expect him to be successful. And, no, he's not walking a tightrope where a few bad plays put him on the bench. It's just that he's not going to have a leash like Brady, Big Ben or Ryan would.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we go 0-2 and Goff is looking terrible with 4+ INTs per game, then don't expect him to keep starting especially if Mannion's looks good in the preseason.

The takeaway is only that Goff isn't untouchable and while he has the pole position and the team will give him every chance to win, if he falters (which again, I don't expect in the slightest) then he will be pulled.

Goff won't get "quite a few games". He's never done anything to earn that latitude.

100% personal opinion and wild speculation and nothing more sorry. And Mannion for these coaches, or any Rams coach for that matter, has never done anything to earn the right to push Goff. Doubt or dislike Goff all you want but nothing in this article or following discussion has any basis in reality.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Non story. Every player in football is in danger of being benched if they stink bad enough. The difference is, some guys have longer leashes than others. I would guess that Goff has among the longest leashes in the league.

I agree to non story , but his leash is only so long. This wouldn't be even disgust if it was Big Ben,Rivers , Eli , Brady, Bree's Ext...
Goff has not earned anything ,but a pay check. He is 0-7 as a starting QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As I noted before, that's not the case for every team. Teams with top QBs, to turn around a metaphor, "will allow their ship to go down with their Captain"

I expect him to be successful. And, no, he's not walking a tightrope where a few bad plays put him on the bench. It's just that he's not going to have a leash like Brady, Big Ben or Ryan would.

Even Kurt Warner got released ? Was that smart ?? The offensive line was horrible. The Rams I think are in a good spot with there line right now IMO .