Cole: Browns Will 'Take a Real Run' at Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
IMO having a healthy Bradford on the field is the only hope for having a playoff caliber season this year. for me to consider trading him I would want a first and second rounder for him, Fisher is in a win and win now situation and I don't think he gives up his best option at QB cheap.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are pinning the entire offensive statistics and team record on one guy. That's not how football works. Brandon Gibson and Austin Pettis were the number 1 receivers during that stretch. A wore down Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson were the RBs for the majority of that stretch. A bunch of offensive linemen that aren't in the league anymore started during that stretch. Bradford could have played better during that stretch too.
Actually yes, that is how football works. Look at the colts without manning, Green Bay without rodgers, Arizona last year without Palmer. Yeah it's exactly how it works. If your backups are as trashy as Sam's have been you would expect to see drop off in results like those other "franchise" qb have seen.
W/l record and ppg shouldn't be in the same ball park if a guy is irreplaceable

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why are people asking for Justin Gilbert? He got beat out by a UDFA for his position, looked like crap when he did play, and admitted that his work ethic and attitude were garbage as a rookie.

Remember that both Jenkins and Johnson are free agents next year. We could put Tru at free safety with Gilbert in the fold. And hey, who wouldn't have a shit attitude and work ethic with the Browns?

Point is, Gilbert is far more talented than even Darrent Williams was coming out of Okie State, and Champ Bailey himself said that Williams had the potential to be a perennial pro-bowler. Imagine a motivated Gilbert on this team. If we get him and a high second round pick for an injury-prone guy who probably won't even be on the team in two years, I'd be all for it.

FRO

Legend
Actually yes, that is how football works. Look at the colts without manning, Green Bay without rodgers, Arizona last year without Palmer. Yeah it's exactly how it works. If your backups are as trashy as Sam's have been you would expect to see drop off in results like those other "franchise" qb have seen.
W/l record and ppg shouldn't be in the same ball park if a guy is irreplaceable
And the Patriots went 10-6 without Tom Brady. Matt Flynn turned some backup duty into a nice contract. Maybe a reason why the Cardinals sucked so much when Palmer went down is their backup QBs didn't even belong in the league. Curtis Painter was another terrible QB.

Brian Quick's emergence and the signing of Britt really helped. The emergence of Stacy last year and Mason this year helped. The quality of talent on offense has drastically improved from end of 2012 beginning of 2013 to now. The talent of the whole team has improved from that time period as well.

I hate pinning a W/L record on the QB, good or bad. I think that's a poor indicator on one individual. I think we can look at one guys individual stats and judge him by that knowing that those numbers can be inflated/deflated by the supporting players.

FRO

Legend
Remember that both Jenkins and Johnson are free agents next year. We could put Tru at free safety with Gilbert in the fold. And hey, who wouldn't have a crap attitude and work ethic with the Browns?

Point is, Gilbert is far more talented than even Darrent Williams was coming out of Okie State, and Champ Bailey himself said that Williams had the potential to be a perennial pro-bowler. Imagine a motivated Gilbert on this team. If we get him and a high second round pick for an injury-prone guy who probably won't even be on the team in two years, I'd be all for it.
It's not like the Rams are superior to the Browns. We haven't won anything in a long while either. If Gilbert has a poor attitude on the Browns, being on the Rams won't change it. If a guy can't be motivated to play in the league then I have no use for him. He sucked last year and has every appearance of a bust. His teammates were even calling him out.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
IMO having a healthy Bradford on the field is the only hope for having a playoff caliber season this year. for me to consider trading him I would want a first and second rounder for him, Fisher is in a win and win now situation and I don't think he gives up his best option at QB cheap.

I agree without a healthy Bradford we are not making the playoffs.
how is it win, win if he trades him away and gets a 1st and 2nd when we both agree he won't make the playoffs without a healthy Bradford?
I think he is in a more dire situation - we have no developmental QB, we have no solid backup, and the starter has missed the last two season with an ACL injury and only thing he can tell us is "he's taking off the brace...."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's not like the Rams are superior to the Browns. We haven't won anything in a long while either. If Gilbert has a poor attitude on the Browns, being on the Rams won't change it. If a guy can't be motivated to play in the league then I have no use for him. He sucked last year and has every appearance of a bust. His teammates were even calling him out.

He's also a twenty-two-year-old. And it's not like guys like Asomugha and Sherman were awesome right out of the gate.

And yes, the Rams are far, far superior to the Browns circus show. We aren't a circus, and Fisher has the exact kind of personality to handle Gilbert. Remind me how Pettine did with Manziel and Dareus again?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Browns do have two 1st round picks. I'd demand one of them for Bradford or no deal. Is he worth it? We don't know today but that's what it would take for me to strip my team of a QB. Kinda ominous to be sitting here with no QB in the NFL.

tonyl711

Starter
I agree without a healthy Bradford we are not making the playoffs.
how is it win, win if he trades him away and gets a 1st and 2nd when we both agree he won't make the playoffs without a healthy Bradford?
I think he is in a more dire situation - we have no developmental QB, we have no solid backup, and the starter has missed the last two season with an ACL injury and only thing he can tell us is "he's taking off the brace...."
I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say anything is a win win, I said he is in a win and win now situation if he wants to keep his job. the only way I see Fisher trading Sam is if he gets a real good deal to where he has the picks to trade up to get one of the top 2 QBs.

ram007

Starter
Except browns no one would give a 2nd rounder for Bradford. It is a fantasy that Bradford is worth more than a 3rd rounder

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say anything is a win win, I said he is in a win and win now situation if he wants to keep his job. the only way I see Fisher trading Sam is if he gets a real good deal to where he has the picks to trade up to get one of the top 2 QBs.

I hate to blame my eyes but reading this off a phone at 43 years old can get trying at times

So yes I fully agree
It just angers me as a lifetime fan that we drafted Garrett Gilbert and he's be the ideal developental guy to be our long term backup - we even had Case Keenum for a spell and now both our backup QB's are free agents (Davis restricted) and there is even more Bradford drama than ever before - just doesn't look like this is gonna end well when nobody is gonna offer anywhere close to a 3rd for Bradford
- switching back to lurker mode

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Browns do have two 1st round picks. I'd demand one of them for Bradford or no deal. Is he worth it? We don't know today but that's what it would take for me to strip my team of a QB. Kinda ominous to be sitting here with no QB in the NFL.

Sam is one torn ACL from retirement. He will not fetch a first round pick.

I love the dude and pray he stays healthy and that he finally plays up to his talent but the fact is he has to prove both. Cue up his last game vs Dallas for a refresher on his inconsistency, it is maddening.

That his value is greatest to the Rams right now is why they are gonna go once more into the breach with him. IMO if some team offers a first round pick he is gone.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I hate to blame my eyes but reading this off a phone at 43 years old can get trying at times

So yes I fully agree
It just angers me as a lifetime fan that we drafted Garrett Gilbert and he's be the ideal developental guy to be our long term backup - we even had Case Keenum for a spell and now both our backup QB's are free agents (Davis restricted) and there is even more Bradford drama than ever before - just doesn't look like this is gonna end well when nobody is gonna offer anywhere close to a 3rd for Bradford
- switching back to lurker mode
43?
Are you fucking kidding me?
You're in for a rough 25 years my friend. :rockon:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I love the dude and pray he stays healthy and that he finally plays up to his talent but the fact is he has to prove both. Cue up his last game vs Dallas for a refresher on his inconsistency, it is maddening.

That his value is greatest to the Rams right now is why they are gonna go once more into the breach with him. IMO if some team offers a first round pick he is gone.

The Dallas game where our OL wasn't blocking anyone and our receivers were dropping pass after pass? You could also cue up the Carolina game where he was giving a top 5 defense the business and the Houston game where he was nearly perfect.

Oddly enough, when we finally abandoned that spread offense attempt with an ineffective OLs and struggling WRs, Bradford suddenly started playing extremely well because he actually had a running game and some blocking.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Totally agree! I hope Sam Bradford proves me wrong and has a long, healthy career but I just don't think the Rams can count on that anymore. Personally, if it was my decision (And, thank goodness for everyone's sake it ISN'T!) I would trade him to the highest bidder (A 1st Round pick would be great but I would settle for a 3rd or possibly even a 4th) just to free up some cap space so the Rams could sign some key free agents this offseason! No matter what the Rams do with Sam Bradford it will be a gamble!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree! I hope Sam Bradford proves me wrong and has a long, healthy career but I just don't think the Rams can count on that anymore. Personally, if it was my decision (And, thank goodness for everyone's sake it ISN'T!) I would trade him to the highest bidder (A 1st Round pick would be great but I would settle for a 3rd or possibly even a 4th) just to free up some cap space so the Rams could sign some key free agents this offseason! No matter what the Rams do with Sam Bradford it will be a gamble!

I'd rather gamble on making the playoffs then not gamble and accept another year of 6-10. Trading Bradford away to save money for a mid round pick leaves us shit up a creek in the QB department. Only way I could consider that deal is if I had already traded for another starting caliber QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could also cue up the Carolina game where he was giving a top 5 defense the business and the Houston game where he was nearly perfect.
It's really a sad state of affairs what we're accustomed to as Rams fans. When scoring only 13 points while throwing a pick 6 is considered "giving the business"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really a sad state of affairs what we're accustomed to as Rams fans. When scoring only 13 points while throwing a pick 6 is considered "giving the business"

that's a very superficial way to look at it. i see you're very into numbers without taking account of what actually happened.

on the pick 6, first play of the game, stacy whiffed on his block and the defender bumped sam's arm as he delivered the ball. what would have been a long strike to a wide open quick turned into a pick 6.

other stuff that happened - quick dropping a 3rd down pass in the red zone that would have led to a 1st down, tavon fumbling near the red zone, deep strike to tavon for a td wiped out by a ticky tack call on long for tripping, deep strike to quick on 3rd down for a td dropped by quick, wr drops pass for 1st down and next play sam has to scramble out of pocket and then, boom, acl gone.who knows, if that simple pass was caught the next play would have been completely different and sam wouldn't have been injured. such is fate.

but i digress. sam was ripping the panthers a new arsehole. but it never showed on the scoreboard. which brings us back to your post.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I'd rather gamble on making the playoffs then not gamble and accept another year of 6-10. Trading Bradford away to save money for a mid round pick leaves us crap up a creek in the QB department. Only way I could consider that deal is if I had already traded for another starting caliber QB.

I understand your reasoning but I just don't have any confidence that Bradford will stay healthy. I also like your ideas in some of your earlier posts that suggest the Rams trade for a veteran (Foles?) and sign a FA (Freeman?) along with drafting a QB somewhere in the upcoming draft. Believe me - I have been one of Bradford's biggest supporters (And, I still think he is a great young man who is a very skilled QB BUT he just can't stay on the field) but I just believe it is now time to at least make an attempt to find another starting QB for the Rams. There again this is just my personal opinion.

FRO

Legend
I understand your reasoning but I just don't have any confidence that Bradford will stay healthy. I also like your ideas in some of your earlier posts that suggest the Rams trade for a veteran (Foles?) and sign a FA (Freeman?) along with drafting a QB somewhere in the upcoming draft. Believe me - I have been one of Bradford's biggest supporters (And, I still think he is a great young man who is a very skilled QB BUT he just can't stay on the field) but I just believe it is now time to at least make an attempt to find another starting QB for the Rams. There again this is just my personal opinion.
Foles has his own injury issues. There is no good option for us. I think we should roll with Bradford one more time.

About the Carolina game, if you watched it you couldn't claim Sam was anything but great in that game. Quick had about 3 drops. Jake Long got called for a bogus tripping call that negated a long TD. You can blame Sam for just getting 13 points, but that blame would be misguided.