Coffee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coffee achiever here!

The most import thing to good tasting coffee is grinding the whole bean at the time that you make the coffee. That makes a huge diff. I just have a basic cheapo grinder and drip coffee maker.

My taste in coffee and my taste in beer have taken a similar turn as I've aged. In both cases, when I was a younger man I preferred the darker varieties such as stout in beers and french roast in coffees. I now prefer the lighter more hoppy, bitter beer and lighter, nuttier coffee.

Yes. I'm a grind before brew guy myself.

Funny you bring up the taste in beer... I find myself pretty wide in acceptance of both coffee and beer. I appreciate the variety.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I had to look that one up. From India? It's an instant?

I know a few people who love their instant coffee.

Yup, but you can find it here in Indian grocery stores. They have an instant and roast types.

Fun fact: I never really cared for coffee until one Sunday fall afternoon. The Rams were winless, and they were about to play the winless Lions. For some reason the mood struck me to drink this stuff and the Rams won their only game that season. Been drinking a cup ever since. Obviously it worked every week lol.

SierraRam

Recreational User
As with beer, I'll drink whatever coffee is available. But if I get to be choosy,
Gevalia French Roast is my choice:
upload_2015-9-6_11-56-18.jpeg

Starbucks Komodo Dragon Blend Super dark roast.

No way! I tried that once...
images

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As with beer, I'll drink whatever coffee is available. But if I get to be choosy,
Gevalia French Roast is my choice:
View attachment 10036

No way! I tried that once...
images
:ROFLMAO:only for real serious coffeeteers! Way too intense for you California high Sierraians.

We still have many items from Gevalia those black mugs, & those black carafe thermos from back in the 80's & 9o's. Gevalia make some fine coffee brews!

I swear I think Starbucks puts something seriously addictive :huh: in their coffee's I have no ideal what it is because I do not fit the standard Starbucks visitors/buyers.

Athos

Legend
Never touch the stuff.
I don't know why, but I never developed a taste for it.

I'll show myself out now.

Me either. Never tried it either. Have no desire. Funny thing tho, love the smell. Or did as a kid.

Before my favorite aunt went crazy, used to love making coffee with her in the morning when she visited.

My bros have coffee addictions.

I never will. I wake up and stay awake the old fashioned way way. Sheer will power.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
coffee is like pipe tobacco. i can smell it all day and not want to move from that room. in my whole life, i drank coffee for 1 week straight. last winter, i was doing 12's and a double or 2 during a 3 week stretch and needed a boost that soda wasnt providing. so our Bunn coffee maker always runs in the am for first shift and as i stayed over is why i needed caffeine. i work 3rd, when it gets light out, i hit a "wall" especially after 8 or 12 hours into a shift.
so i decided to give coffee a chance, although i need a LOT of sugar to make it go down better. (diabetics dont need extra sugar btw). so on monday it was 1 cup, tuesday 2, wed 3 thurs 3 and finally on friday i wanted to cut down since i had no coffee at home so i did 1 cup and an hour later i literally had the shakes needing more caffeine. THAT was the end of my coffee experiment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Me either. Never tried it either. Have no desire. Funny thing tho, love the smell. Or did as a kid.

Before my favorite aunt went crazy, used to love making coffee with her in the morning when she visited.

My bros have coffee addictions.

I never will. I wake up and stay awake the old fashioned way way. Sheer will power.
I have to have something cold (and preferably carbonated) first thing in the morning. Drinking coffee right after you wake up, to me, is like getting out of a hot tub to go take a steam bath.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My coffee is a daily 32oz Yeti Rambler glass of Indian River fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with 9 ice cubes. So you can see I'm very particular too. lol

My wife is the coffee drinker. She uses a Bosch coffee maker that uses the Tassimo brand coffee. It makes one cup at a time like a Kuerig... but it is superior to the Kuerig according to my wife. The coffee is more expensive and harder to find apparently.

She has a Kuerig at her salon for her clients. LOL

I'm just learning about all of this thanks to your thread here. Ha.

She's pretty serious about her coffee... but she only drinks one cup per day.

Um... I have a very, very BLUE story from boot camp that starts with me eating those very same Indian River grapefruit. I did boot camp at Naval Training Center, Orlando FL. MAN, when they are picked fresh, they are delicious. Don't fret, no grapefruit were harmed in the making of the story... that episode from boot camp became what my WoW friends dubbed "Mackey" stories... very blue, funny, often kinda gross, all true stories.

As for coffee, I'm off caffeine for right now, but when I do, I was actually using Kava, it's an instant that is reduced acid. I'm on a GERD medicine and I used to drink a lot of brewed coffee, but I don't anymore. What's funny is that now the Kava jacks me up and the regular brew is just fine. In moderation, of course.

I prefer a medium roast with a nice body and not too much bitterness. I really don't like that burnt flavor which means I'm very much over Starbucks. In NY in this really nice Italian ristorante with white tablecloths, I had a steak for two with pom frite and Italian coffee which is pretty strong stuff, but it wasn't burnt when it was roasted. It was glorious. One of the best meals I ever had. Sat and ate at the bar in peace by myself and just savored every bit and sip. THAT was a fantastic cup 'o josepe...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Drink 10 cups a day and have for years! Appreciate the good stuff like expresso but seldom get it! Use a Bunn coffee maker in the home but seldom get it at a restaurant unless it's breakfast time! My girls use Keurigs and the cofee's good but overpriced for what it is! I do enjoy the cafe du monde when I'm in NOLA, the chicory coffee with a plate of beignets!
This would explain the choice of punctuation for every sentence in this post. :p

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I picked up an iCoffee brewer to replace the Tassimo that I had for years. It brews all standard K cups but uses a "Spin Brew" technology that actually really does reduce the bitterness and acidity associated with regular (Keurig, Tassimo, etc) single cup brewers. My neighbor brought one of her K Cups over and was amazed at how much smoother it brewed in the iCoffee. She replaced her Keurig a week later with one. True story.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The wife has a Keurig and the bitterness is why she has to add creamer. Just told her about the iCoffee. I might surprise her with one.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Um... I have a very, very BLUE story from boot camp that starts with me eating those very same Indian River grapefruit. I did boot camp at Naval Training Center, Orlando FL. MAN, when they are picked fresh, they are delicious. Don't fret, no grapefruit were harmed in the making of the story... that episode from boot camp became what my WoW friends dubbed "Mackey" stories... very blue, funny, often kinda gross, all true stories.

As for coffee, I'm off caffeine for right now, but when I do, I was actually using Kava, it's an instant that is reduced acid. I'm on a GERD medicine and I used to drink a lot of brewed coffee, but I don't anymore. What's funny is that now the Kava jacks me up and the regular brew is just fine. In moderation, of course.

I prefer a medium roast with a nice body and not too much bitterness. I really don't like that burnt flavor which means I'm very much over Starbucks. In NY in this really nice Italian ristorante with white tablecloths, I had a steak for two with pom frite and Italian coffee which is pretty strong stuff, but it wasn't burnt when it was roasted. It was glorious. One of the best meals I ever had. Sat and ate at the bar in peace by myself and just savored every bit and sip. THAT was a fantastic cup 'o josepe...

You aren't gonna just leave me hanging after the build up you just gave the story I hope...

My grandparents had a large orange grove... they were mostly juice oranges. I won't be grossed out about anything when it comes to citrus... so please fill me in on the details of this BLUE story. (y):eek:;)

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm on a GERD medicine and I used to drink a lot of brewed coffee, but I don't anymore.

I have acid refulx as well (GERD).

I have taken Prilosec for it but haven't needed to take any medication for it in a very long time. I found that it WAS the coffee primarily that was tearing me up and making my body produce way too much stomach acid. I found though that if I add cream, I don't have any problem at all. I suppose it is the calories in the cream/milk that buffers the coffee... Not sure, but it has worked great for me. You might give this a shot if you were drinking it black before and see if it helps you too.

There's a few things I would have a very difficult time completely giving up and coffee is one of them.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The other thing that I sometimes have problems with is peppermint and certain kinds of sausage.

I've been able to exclude those things without much issue though.

It's funny I can eat all of the spicy/hot food like peppers and horseradish, etc. that I want and not have an issue. Good thing too because that's another thing I'd have a very hard time omitting. I do eat a lot of hot food.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You aren't gonna just leave me hanging after the build up you just gave the story I hope...

My grandparents had a large orange grove... they were mostly juice oranges. I won't be grossed out about anything when it comes to citrus... so please fill me in on the details of this BLUE story. (y):eek:;)

Not gonna post it. I'll be glad to tell you, but it's very much an in person story. Was hopin to take you up on your invite if it's still good (refresher: only 3 times I went to a Hooters, I got food poisoning, you said I was doing it wrong and needed to catch a game with you ;) )

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not gonna post it. I'll be glad to tell you, but it's very much an in person story. Was hopin to take you up on your invite if it's still good (refresher: only 3 times I went to a Hooters, I got food poisoning, you said I was doing it wrong and needed to catch a game with you ;) )

Cool... We'll have to make it happen sometime this season. I've got some friends in Naples... maybe we can watch a game together and invite @LesBaker when I head down there. I know you like my ribs... but maybe we'll have to eat out.

BTW... Publix sells the Indian River brand fresh squeezed grapefruit juice in the produce area. I buy 3 large jugs of it every weekend to last me through the week. Just in case you have a hankering for some LOL

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
That's cool. I can drive down that way. We'll definitely have to make it happen.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yes. I'm a grind before brew guy myself.

Funny you bring up the taste in beer... I find myself pretty wide in acceptance of both coffee and beer. I appreciate the variety.
Me too, one hot, the other cold! (y)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm a shift worker so coffee is free at work. They provide a Folgers and a no name I like to call "Guatemala floor sweepings". I rarely ever drink coffee away from work and hate Starbucks. I guess it's that aspirin aftertaste.

I can relate to drinking 10 cups some days, especially when you pull a double (16 hrs) then have a quick turnaround ( 8 hrs off).

I'm currently addicted to that International Delight creamers, especially the French vanilla and caramel macchiato.
https://www.internationaldelight.com/products/french-vanilla
https://www.internationaldelight.com/products/caramel-macchiato