Cody Davis leaves Rams to sign with Jaguars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have always like Cody Davis. He was a very good fit in our defense for Wade. When the season began & Mo Alexander went into fail mode, Webster damaged his shoulder, Joyner pulled his hammy NRC moved in & out as an outside corner & Cody got a serious work out. But Cody got inured & his loss hurt the secondary. When Joyner went to the Nickle we saw Wade forced to go to Christian & Countess. Cody never returned to play.

Cody has been working for very low pay for the last five years now time to get his reward in NE FL.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Yes - I don’t think he is a top 5 FS . IMO these position can be easily filed by drafting well later in the draft.

M. Stewart & Rodney McLoud we’re both udfa’s . Cody Davis was as well.
Mo Alexander was a Fisher guy who he over drafted & was lucky to get EJ Gaines.

For now it is a solid play to solidify the DB field. The addition after that really make it top notch !! The Rams have depth there so will see if Christian or Countess can step up into a backup role ?
Will see how The Rams fill the depth chart , but IMO Joyner is a mentor type player who they will build within the 53 for 2019.
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always like Cody Davis... I hope he is getting paid, but IMHO, he was a "tweener" safety. Wasn't a great free safety, wasn't a great strong safety, bu the had all the tools..., speed, size, smarts, etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One of the few guys universally liked by all fans.
Except for Champ. Champ hates everybody.

Life-Cereal.jpg

Corbin

Obviously the coaching didn’t think as highly of Cody Davis .
Or they thought they didn't have to pay a backup's 1.7mill. plus salary to maintain his services when they could get a developmental S with plethora of late round picks we have and save 1.2+ million. That seems to be the more than likely culprit than any.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The Rams have several stellar young players on STs. Davis missed several game shots last year and it didn't phase the Rams STs.

He was a solid guy and earned his roster spot every week, but the Rams will be ok; especially if they draft a FS to back up/possibly replace Joyner.

Ram65

Legend
Or they thought they didn't have to pay a backup's 1.7mill. plus salary to maintain his services when they could get a developmental S with plethora of late round picks we have and save 1.2+ million. That seems to be the more than likely culprit than any.

That makes sense. Rams have to start counting those type of $$$ savings.

I felt comfortable when Davis had to fill in. He has to make the money while he can.

Corbin

That makes sense. Rams have to start counting those type of $$$ savings.

I felt comfortable when Davis had to fill in. He has to make the money while he can.
Exactly. He's filled hos role here thankfully.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Exactly, if they thought he was that important then they would have resigned him. He would have already had a 3 year deal from 2 to 3 years ago.

Like I said earlier as well. The Rams need to groom a FS to become a starter with Joyner being the mentor this season . There is no way he gets franchised again , unless they can get a long term deal done with a lot of guranted money’s
Plus these DB’s on the roster are talented & did well in special teams as well.
It’s not that I don’t like Cody Davis. Like you said to make my early point , that it’s not that big of a loss. Robey-Coleman would have been the bigger loss.
He played a lot better than Joyner as the nickel CB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Liked the player, bummed he left but that’s the business.
On the bright side, isn’t that another FA lost which tilts the compensation picks further in the Rams favor?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I sure didn't see this coming, I thought it was automatic Davis would be with us! I'll miss him! Good luck to him. He's earned a Pay Day!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Liked the player, bummed he left but that’s the business.
On the bright side, isn’t that another FA lost which tilts the compensation picks further in the Rams favor?
It could but he didn’t sign for much so he probably won’t tilt the compensation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Loved him but a sixth round pick should be able to come in and learn behind Joyner and contribute on special teams for a million a year less or more.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could but he didn’t sign for much so he probably won’t tilt the compensation.

It won't get the Rams another pick. However, with him and Carrier gone, the Rams can sign a couple of low cost free agent players without fear of it hurting the picks for Watkins and Johnson.