Cody Davis Blog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

had

Rookie
Finding our Rhythm

Credit: St Louis Rams

After two weeks of coming close but just not getting the win, we came into Indianapolis trying to get back to playing our game and find a way to win. Well to say the least we came out firing on all cylinders and quickly gained the momentum and confidence that we have been searching for. That rhythm we have been trying to put together seemed to click and even spilled over into quite a lot of dancing celebrations. It seemed to be contagious and after the touchdown by Chris Long, the big plays just seemed to roll in. Everyone seemed to get in on the action and I also got the play I had been looking for... my first NFL tackle! I was not being blocked by a front line guy so I was free to the off returner, the player who runs in front of the ball carrier. I saw my opportunity to cross the blockers face, I took my shot, and it paid off! I didn't even realize I had flipped him until my teammates had told me. In this business it is all about what you put on the field, and as you start to make plays you gain more respect with both coaches and teammates. I'm glad to start building that respect and finally have an official stat on my resume. But the most important stat of the day was the victory and the fun we were having out on the field showed. We are going into an off week and will get a chance to rest, get back to fundamentals, and prepare to build off of this win. Until next time!

Awesome. The kid can make plays. There's a place for him. I think he'll find his way.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Me too train. Wonder where lockedown is with his predictions today...

lockdnram21

Legend
Me too train. Wonder where lockedown is with his predictions today...

I'm right here. Why you worried about what I have to say? Since you wanted my opinion here it is, as soon as tj is back Davis will be back on practice squad where he belongs

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm right here. Why you worried about what I have to say? Since you wanted my opinion here it is, as soon as tj is back Davis will be back on practice squad where he belongs

No offense intended, your opinion is a valid as anyone's. Although after re-reading my post I can see how I came across as something of a dick; sorry. I was honestly wondering if you had changed your mind now that he was playing, albeit almost exclusively ST, and seemingly playing pretty well. I don't get what comes across as disdain for this player however.

nighttrain

Legend
MacDonald looks good for quite some time, still leaves room for one more, Davis is my current choice
train

lockdnram21

Legend
No offense intended, your opinion is a valid as anyone's. Although after re-reading my post I can see how I came across as something of a dick; sorry. I was honestly wondering if you had changed your mind now that he was playing, albeit almost exclusively ST, and seemingly playing pretty well. I don't get what comes across as disdain for this player however.

I get how people want to see players on there team succeed. But I just don't see him as a fs for this team. McLeod Is getting better and I think he will prove we have our starters next year in him and McDonald

nighttrain

Legend
I get how people want to see players on there team succeed. But I just don't see him as a fs for this team. McLeod Is getting better and I think he will prove we have our starters next year in him and McDonald
I wouldn't give any safety on this team passing marks, weakest link on D
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My First Year in The NFL

The new year is here and looking back on twenty thirteen... what a wild ride it was! This year has been crammed full of exciting changes, new beginnings, and stressful moments. On January 1st 2013 I started my training for the NFL and now on January 1st 2014 I have wrapped up my rookie season. If you have missed my journey this year... it has pretty much gone like this: NFL training, regional combines, pro day, getting married, super regional combine, honeymoon, undrafted free agent signed to St Louis, OTAs, off season workouts, training camp, preseason games, cut after preseason, signed on practice squad, moved from Texas to St. Louis, moved up to active roster week 5, and played/secured my spot on all four special teams to finish the year. Phew! Now you might understand and forgive me for inconsistent blogging and taking a couple of weeks off after the season, I apologize!

Between now and then I have learned a lot and have grown as both a football player and a man of God. The biggest thing I learned in year one is to not focus on or worry about things you can't control. There are so many new distractions that are thrown at you as a NFL rookie and most of it doesn't have to do with your actions. Starting with the hype or lack of hype coming out of college, you get judged and graded for 8 months before you even get a chance to play in a game. For me it was frustrating to see my draft grades slowly decrease when nothing was happening but training. I guess it is easy to forget about a bland and quiet guy who doesn't have the prototypical "look" of a football player. Maybe long hair or tattoos are in order? Ha! The grades finally increased when I had the opportunity to prove myself at regional combines and pro day. The media, scouts, coaches, front office, and everywhere in between is constantly judging your value and making decisions about you throughout this whole process. Unlike college, this means your job and life as you know it is on the line. But if you spend time worrying about what they think about you, where they put you on the depth chart, or if they are going to keep you... this is just wasting your time when you could be improving and proving yourself. This lesson is a constant struggle because so much is on the line in one of the most unpredictable jobs. Along with this I have become stronger in my faith and putting it in God's hands. Moving my wife Ashley and I away from family, out on our own, and not knowing the outcome of my job came with a lot of anxiety and potential guilt if it didn't work out.

Stepping into the facility for the first time I noticed that nothing was too extravagant, like some of the over the top college facilities, but everything I would want or need as a football player. The Rams are the most player oriented team, coaches, and staff I have been around and they take care of us from top to bottom. As for the on the field experience, it was everything that I expected and more! Putting on the NFL jersey and helmet still seams surreal. Even when talking about opponents I can't believe the names that come out of my mouth that I get to go up against each week. As I went through preseason, on to practice squad, and onto the active squad I continued to learn and adjust to the NFL game. The most obvious difference from college is the talent level as everyone is big, fast, strong, and skilled. This makes it that much harder for me on the field, but also off the field as I have to study and be more prepared in order to gain an advantage. Also another difference is time restrictions. In college you have more on your plate when it comes to school so you have more free time. But the NFL is a full time job as most all of my days were from 7-5 of physical and mental work with one day off which is also used for extra film study, lifting, and meeting with coaches. But when it comes down to it football is football, and I had a blast playing this year.

Playing on the "big four" special teams (punt, punt return, kickoff, kickoff return) with a team full of exciting rookies flying around was awesome. Like I have described it before, it is a track meet out there each and every rep. On special teams you never know when or how the action will come. Some games you simply don't have any opportunities to make any plays. I couldn't get any stats the first few games because of this but finally hit my groove and started to put tackles and knockdowns on the board. Along with the great play of my teammates and great calls from Coach Fassel, we were able to set an NFL record for net punt average of 44.2! Overall we didn't make the playoffs or reach our goals, but had some great positives and growth to take into next year. The day after our final game felt like senior year all over again. Checking out and saying goodbye, because in this business you never know who is coming back. I am now on my first off season on my own and I will stay in St. Louis to train and work to make the team again next year. A year is under my belt and I can't wait to see what God has in store next.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
That reads like a good kid with his head on straight. I wish him success in all his life's endeavors

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Gonna go out on a limb and say he not only makes the team next year he's our starter in the next two years. He is faster and a better tackler than any safety we have and he's big too. Jmo but the way he works to get better is gonna pay off.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That reads like a good kid with his head on straight. I wish him success in all his life's endeavors
I pretty much agree. I really hope he turns out to be a good player; not just because it helps the Rams, but because he seems like a good kid, the type you'd want to root for.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
In a league over-populated with "turds" (my name isn't Kent so I don't include Sam Bradford in that group), Cody Davis seems like a genuinely good guy. I'd love to see him succeed and make a living long term from pro football.

However, I don't think next season's starting FS is currently on the roster and McLeod is already ahead of him in the pecking order so I do wonder if he'll make the 53 man squad next year. He deserves it as far as I'm concerned but I'm not the GM (yet)

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Love reading his blog. Hope he keeps improving and earns a spot next year, without injuries occurring.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
In a league over-populated with "turds" (my name isn't Kent so I don't include Sam Bradford in that group), Cody Davis seems like a genuinely good guy. I'd love to see him succeed and make a living long term from pro football.

However, I don't think next season's starting FS is currently on the roster and McLeod is already ahead of him in the pecking order so I do wonder if he'll make the 53 man squad next year. He deserves it as far as I'm concerned but I'm not the GM (yet)

The thing about McLeod, is he was pretty much forced into the role when Stewart couldn't stay healthy (yet again) in training camp. While he was the best option at the time, and later, was the ONLY option as the Nickel CB once Finnegan went down, I think he is much better suited as a versatile depth guy. He REALLY excelled as a Special Teams player his first year, and could reestablish himself in that area in 2014.

That being said, Cody Davis is in the exact same position McLeod was at this time last year. Has a full year under his belt in the system, got enough of a taste of game action on Special Teams. Became a core contributor on all four "teams". Now take that logic, as it did with McLeod and use it regarding Davis. The difference being, Davis has better size, speed, instincts and is a better tackler.

I agree, to a point, that the other starting safety (in Fisher's scheme he does not differentiate between FS and SS) may not be on the roster right now. But It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Cody Davis being in a position to seriously challenge for that job come Training Camp.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The thing about McLeod, is he was pretty much forced into the role when Stewart couldn't stay healthy (yet again) in training camp. While he was the best option at the time, and later, was the ONLY option as the Nickel CB once Finnegan went down, I think he is much better suited as a versatile depth guy. He REALLY excelled as a Special Teams player his first year, and could reestablish himself in that area in 2014.

That being said, Cody Davis is in the exact same position McLeod was at this time last year. Has a full year under his belt in the system, got enough of a taste of game action on Special Teams. Became a core contributor on all four "teams". Now take that logic, as it did with McLeod and use it regarding Davis. The difference being, Davis has better size, speed, instincts and is a better tackler.

I agree, to a point, that the other starting safety (in Fisher's scheme he does not differentiate between FS and SS) may not be on the roster right now. But It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Cody Davis being in a position to seriously challenge for that job come Training Camp.
I hope McDonald stays in the mix, because that dude hits like a freight train.
Unfortunately, that's also what could keep him OUT of the mix.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I hope McDonald stays in the mix, because that dude hits like a freight train.
Unfortunately, that's also what could keep him OUT of the mix.

I don't think there's any question that McDonald is going to be one of the key guys in the secondary for years to come. I know its still way too early to make any projections, but they could do worse than having him and Cody Davis back there developing side by side. I firmly believe the biggest reason was the overall youth of the secondary, being the reason they just didn't feel comfortable running him out there this past season.

But the thing both McLeod and Davis have in common, they are both very smart individuals They pick things up quickly, and seem to have a feel for the defense. I think that position could be the most intriguing to watch his off-season.

IMO, CB is the biggest area they will focus on. But what they choose to do (or not do) will tell a lot about what they think they have at Safety.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Renewing and Rebuilding

With the season coming to a close, it has now been more than a month into off-season... and what a change of life! Going from the most hectic time in my life the entire 2013 to now in my first off-season where I'm basically on my own to keep in shape and prepare for next season. The first thing I did was take two weeks off! This has been the most rest I have had since I began school organized sports in Junior High. The rotation of sports along with summer leagues in jr high through high school and the intensity of college football brings mental and physical challenges nonstop. My body definitely needed the rest and recovery but with the help of being snowed in, the apartment walls were beginning to close in on me very quickly. I have chosen to stay in St Louis and train at the facility which hopefully I can be around the coaches and learn while I stay in shape. With workout taking up my mornings I have been able to fill my afternoon with various things that I have either been putting off or always wanted to do. I have been doing charity work, researching charities to get involved with, working on side projects like MotoMe, organizing a possible football camp, and if all else fails dive into some of my hobbies. I'm extremely blessed to have this time to focus on myself to renew my mind and rebuild what I want my life to be about. Along with this renewed focus I am going to redesign and rebuild this website to be more interactive/informative on not only football but other aspects of life, hopefully improving on what I have started. If you have any ideas or suggestions on what you would like more/less or anything to add, please share them below or message me on Facebook or Twitter! Until next time, enjoy this video of my dog running in the snow with the GoPro 3.

http://thestudentofthegame.blogspot.com/2014/02/renewing-and-rebuilding.html?m=1