Coaches under intense pressure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jared Cook was open most of the day running underneath crossing routes, and Davis never looked for him, or was too busy bailing on the pocket to find anyone "on time". McNabb kept talking about getting Davis into a rhythm, but yet, even on the quick, 3 step drops, Davis just doesn't get the ball out on time. Same issues were present in training camp.

I agreed with most of what you said here but it looked more to me that they were likely working on him stepping into the pocket or "climbing" the pocket. But that pocket simply wasn't anywhere to be found. I was absolutely blown away by how pathetic Wells blocking was. He simply couldn't block his man AT ALL. Then I can't see how you could really say that those long passes were a QB decision. I firmly believe that Schotty had the game plan that they were weakest in their secondary as reported and that was how he intended to attack. I really think the O-line sealed that fate and Davis didn't help because he has so little experience dealing with that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agreed with most of what you said here but it looked more to me that they were likely working on him stepping into the pocket or "climbing" the pocket. But that pocket simply wasn't anywhere to be found. I was absolutely blown away by how pathetic Wells blocking was. He simply couldn't block his man AT ALL. Then I can't see how you could really say that those long passes were a QB decision. I firmly believe that Schotty had the game plan that they were weakest in their secondary as reported and that was how he intended to attack. I really think the O-line sealed that fate and Davis didn't help because he has so little experience dealing with that.

I was at the game, and from where I sat, I saw Davis hit on his first attempt to Britt (opening drive) when he pushed the ball down field. That Britt got behind the DB made it an easy completion. But if you look at the routes, in most EVERY play call, Davis continued to try to force the ball down field, to the ONE receiver who would get deep. I would maybe agree with your premise of it being on Schottenheimer, if they would have run multiple guys down the seems, or tried to stress the Defense DEEP. But that was rarely the case. On most of those plays, they had guys underneath, and Davis simply didn't look at them.

Neither of us can know for sure. But I just don't think its always on the OC when the offense stalls. In this case, IMO, there were way too many instances where the QB just didn't make good decisions with the football. I mentioned this in a previous thread. Go back and watch the TD pass on the opening drive. Davis had Harkey in the flat immediately, but he didn't get him the ball. Instead, he ends up scrambling, and gets credit for "keeping the play alive" with his feet, and eventually making a play to Kendricks on a busted play. But if he gets the ball to Harkey "on time", they end up with the TD and everyone talks about what a great play call it is. Instead, because Davis doesn't make the read, it looks like HE is the one who makes the play, on what many would say was a "bad" play call.

Way too many instances of this every week for me to put it on the OC all the time. And its consistent with what I have seen from Davis throughout training camp each of the past two years. He "scrambles" in 7 on 7 drills, because he misses on his reads, and doesn't get the ball to the right guy "on time". That's NOT on the play call. That's on the QB.

Which goes back to my biggest point. The impact on this team by not having Bradford is bigger than most want to admit.

Athos

Legend
I also think that many are overlooking the impact that losing Bradford has had on this team.

With the O-Line as it is, not sure having Bradford would make much of a difference. And I don't think the O-Line was very good even when healthy either. Though health is relative. We've spent big bucks on retread lineman basically. Had Bradford not injured that knee in pre-season, I have a feeling Wells/Long/Joseph would have been the cause in season. Healthy or not at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With the O-Line as it is, not sure having Bradford would make much of a difference. And I don't think the O-Line was very good even when healthy either. Though health is relative. We've spent big bucks on retread lineman basically. Had Bradford not injured that knee in pre-season, I have a feeling Wells/Long/Joseph would have been the cause in season. Healthy or not at this point.
I maintain that teams wouldn't be game planning vs. Bradford the same way they are vs. Davis. I also think, ( I have seen it first hand) that Bradford has a much better understanding of where to go with the football. For all the criticism he got (gets) for checking the ball down, that is exactly what this team needs to be doing more of. It is exactly what Smith and the Chiefs did against us all day Sunday, to counteract the pass rush. Yet when teams do it against us, its the defense who can't seem to make the adjustments (according to many) but when our offense does it, its due to a lack of creativity.

Can't have it both ways. I just don't totally buy into the whole "this o-line sucks" montra. I know I am in the minority here. But it's not all on the O-Line, or the OC. I just don't get the mindset that there has to be someone to BLAME all the time. At some point, players need to execute the plays that are called. And things aren't always what they appear on the surface.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I see this Ram OL as one of the biggest FAIL unit of the many fail Ram units. The OL is the key to any offense IMO. Fisher's decision to move major cap $$$ as the method of building an experienced solid OL over the draft now after 3 NFL drafts has prove this Rams offense undoing. Yes Going with a basic immobile brittle Bradford plays heavy too. Both go hand in hand. Fisher had 13 draft picks the last 3 yrs in day one & day two of the draft.....he used only one selection out of 13 picks high draft picks on an OLer. Outside of Robinson the OL future currently is dismal.

In reviewing the "going veteran" route i.e. Jake Long, Harvey Dahl, Quinn Ojinnaka, Chris Williams, Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter, Robert Turner, Scott Wells, Rodger Saffold & Davin Joseph as mainstays to a productive front line.........(n)

Athos

Legend
Davin Joseph has been blown off the line nearly every time. Can't really argue he hasn't been a weak cog that could have blown up Bradford from up the middle.

Like I said, all the big Bradford hits I can remember, besides the lately J. Long getting blown up, have come from up the gut. That's on Wells and two OGs we've had since forever when Saffold isn't healthy.