Coaches hired and fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
NFL Coaching Carousel: Mike Vrabel Emerges as a Strong Fit for Titans’ Head-Coach Position

By ALBERT BREER
January 15, 2018

Every decision the Titans have made for three years now has been with quarterback Marcus Mariota’s development at the forefront.

When they fired Ken Whisenhunt halfway through 2015, the beheading the Titans’ quarterbacks were taking early that season pushed the issue. When they hired Jon Robinson as GM in January 2016, his time spent around Tom Brady as a scout for the Patriots and in drafting Jameis Winston as the Buccaneers’ director of player personnel were factors. And when Mike Mularkey was given the head-coaching job full-time, it was largely because he’d fixed the aforementioned protection problem.

So the Titans are about to hire an offensive guru as head coach, right?

Not so fast.

On Monday, two head-coaching spots were, for all intents and purposes, filled, and another one opened up. And one widely-held assumption early in the day was that Josh McDaniels’s availability had pushed the Titans to pull the plug on Mularkey, an idea that was punctuated by McDaniels’s offense tearing through an overwhelmed Tennessee team in Foxboro on Saturday night.

My belief is that was never the case, and McDaniels—who’s as bright a head-coaching prospect as there is on the market—probably wouldn’t have been the Titans’ lead dog had he still been available (the Colts are expected to hire the Patriots’ offensive coordinator, according to multiple reports). The reason why is simple: it’s about fit.

Over the last two weeks, as news of Mularkey’s employment status was widely reported and and written about by the media, the trust between Mularkey and Robinson fractured—and that was a piece of why talks on bringing Mularkey back broke down over the last couple of days. It may have been difficult to get Mularkey to take a Band-Aid deal and make staff changes previously. These circumstances made that impossible.

Now the Titans will look to find alignment, and the first man they requested to interview, Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel, is seen as a better match for the team’s brass than McDaniels from a personality standpoint. Also, he and Robinson have common background in that each spent many years in New England. Vrabel will have to sell Tennessee on his staffing choices and his vision for developing Mariota, but word of how well Vrabel interviewed in Detroit and Indianapolis has gotten around. Robinson laid out criteria for the job during his press conference on Monday, and the first thing he said he was looking for was a “leader of men.”

That’s Vrabel, whose strengths are in his presence and ability to reach people. It doesn’t mean he has job, but there’s little question that he’s well-positioned for it.

And after Monday, it’s one of only two spots (again, for all intents and purposes, because some of these can’t be official) left. In case you need catching up, here’s the rundown …

Arizona: OPEN
Chicago: Matt Nagy
Detroit: Matt Patricia
Indianapolis: Josh McDaniels
N.Y. Giants: Pat Shurmur
Oakland: Jon Gruden
Tennessee: OPEN

Here’s a little more from the coaching-rumors grapevine …

• As I understand it, McDaniels was always going to want two things—a GM he respected and a quarterback he liked. Indianapolis checked off both boxes, and the credit goes to Colts GM Chris Ballard. Ballard and McDaniels built a rapport over the last year and, as ESPN’s Seth Wickersham reported, Ballard worked to repair the team’s Deflategate-affected relationship with the Patriots, something that resulted in the Jacoby Brissett trade. Having the foresight to know those things might matter is a tribute to the foresight of Indy’s second-year personnel czar.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/15/nfl-coaching-carousel-news-mike-vrabel-tennessee-titans

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay if Mike Vrabel gets the gig, who would be his OC? The guy that might work is Mike McCoy, former Head Coach and although he was let go in Denver had good offenses in Denver previously and in San Diego as well, I don't think the Bronco development taints him, however, with Robinson & Vrabel being from New England, one would surmise there might be someone they both can agree upon...Rob Chudzinski could be another name, however, with limited success of late, but with no Luck, did not have much to work with in Indianapolis.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
So it looks like Shurmer to Giants, McDaniels to Colts, Patricia to Lions, maybe Vrabel to Titans. Just read that Mike Munchak, Panthers DC Steve Wilks, and Cards DC James Bettcher are leading candidates (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ardinals-colts-giants-lions-coaching-searches) for the Arizona job. Another question they face is who will be their QB in 2018? I think the Cards take a step backwards next year losing Arians. I always thought he got the most out of his players.

I see the Rams and Niners battling for the division for the next five years. I will be interesting to see how NE fares if they do lose both coordinators. The day Brady and Belichick hang it up, fans around the league will probably indulge in a beverage or two. I know I will.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gren-hopes-pat-shurmur-lightens-up-this-time/

Mike Holmgren hopes Pat Shurmur lightens up this time
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2018

134861290-e1478201444323.jpg

Getty Images

Mike Holmgren obviously thinks Pat Shurmur is a good coach — he hired him in Cleveland.

But he hopes Shurmur makes some changes in his next job, which could allow the talents that are clearly there emerge to a greater degree.

Holmgren told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News that Shurmur could stand to lighten up a bit as he prepares to take the Giants job (you know the one that can’t technically be offered yet).

“I’m a grinder, but I had fun coaching,” Holmgren said. “I said, ‘Pat, I don’t think you are having enough fun. Everything is doomsday. Joke with the guys. Tease them. Let them see you are human.’ He was scowling. He’s a good play caller, he’s a good offensive coordinator. In my brief time with him in Cleveland, I saw some light at the end of the tunnel. . . .

“I believe the players in Cleveland respected him. He came off like a hard ass all the time. Very stern. Players are players – they respect you as long as you are honest. Bill Walsh said it to me once: ‘If you kick them in the ass, if you do it in practice, that’s okay. But don’t let them leave the field without telling them something good.'”

Holmgren also noted that Shurmur read every word that was written when he was running the Browns, something he won’t be able to do in New York because there will be a lot more words.

“I told him, ‘You can’t let it get to you,'” Holmgren said. “‘Don’t create an adversarial situation.’ I tried to counsel him that way.”

Any reasonable person would learn from previous mistakes, and there’s certainly a track record for coaches leaving the Browns and performing much better the second time. And Holmgren clearly hopes that Shurmur evolves, and enjoys the process more this time.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That ought to go over well with Odell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...port-of-pat-shurmur-as-new-giants-head-coach/

Odell Beckham Jr tweets support of Pat Shurmur as new Giants head coach
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 16, 2018

859088954-e1516086788887.jpg

Getty Images

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is expected to be hired as the next head coach of the New York Giants once his postseason run with the Vikings comes to an end.

While any agreement with Shurmur can’t be executed until Minnesota’s season in over, that hasn’t stopped Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. from expressing his support for the new hire.

In a tweet sent out on Monday, Beckham replied to a report of Shurmur’s expected hiring with excitement over his new coach.

View: https://twitter.com/OBJ_3/status/953016350703697920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2018%2F01%2F16%2Fodell-beckham-jr-tweets-support-of-pat-shurmur-as-new-giants-head-coach%2F

Beckham certainly looks at the 2,150 combined receiving yards racked up by Adam Thelien and Stefon Diggs, and the 3,547 passing yards of Case Keenum compiled in 15 games and gets excited about the possibilities to be found in New York in the future. Finding a way to get the most out of Beckham while limiting his distractions will be among Shurmur’s biggest challenges in his new job.

For now, Beckham can be excited about the prospect of a new coaching staff and a new path moving forward with the Giants.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ounce-ken-norton-jr-hired-kris-richard-fired/

Seahawks fire Kris Richard, hire Ken Norton Jr.
Posted by Josh Alper on January 16, 2018

kris-richard.jpeg

AP

The Seahawks have officially announced the hiring of defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Mike Solari.

Word broke on Monday that Norton is returning to the Seahawks to run the defense. He had taken a job as the 49ers linebackers coach last week, but was let out of his contract to rejoin head coach Pete Carroll’s staff. Norton was Seattle’s linebackers coach for five years before becoming the Raiders defensive coordinator in 2015.

Along with confirmation of that move came an announcement that the Seahawks fired their previous defensive coordinator Kris Richard. Richard, who moved into that job when Dan Quinn became the Falcons head coach in 2015, interviewed for the Colts head coaching job after the end of the regular season and seems likely to land a job somewhere fairly quickly.

The additions of Schottenheimer, who replaces Darrell Bevell, and Solari, who replaces Cable, were also previously reported.

The Seahawks also announced that they’ve fired linebackers coach/assistant head coach Michael Barrow. Barrow was hired in 2015 and added the assistant head coach title last season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

View: https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/953407340195209216

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2018/01/16/seahawks-announce-changes-coaching-staff

The Seahawks announced three additions to their coaching staff Tuesday, naming Brian Schottenheimer offensive coordinator, Ken Norton Jr. defensive coordinator and Mike Solari offensive line coach.

Kris Richard, who served as defensive coordinator the past three seasons, was relieved of his duties, as was linebackers coach/assistant head coach/defense Michael Barrow. The Seahawks relieved previous offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and offensive line coach/assistant head coach Tom Cable of their duties last week.

Norton returns to Seattle after spending the past three seasons as the Oakland Raiders’ defensive coordinator. Prior to that, the former All-Pro linebacker had a long history coaching under Carroll, serving as the linebackers coach at USC from 2004-2009, then with the Seahawks from 2010-2014. As a player, Norton was a three-time Pro-Bowler and two-time All-Pro for the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers, winning three straight Super Bowls in the 1990s, two with Dallas and one with San Francisco. During his earlier tenure in Seattle, Norton played a big role in developing two players who remain key pieces of Seattle’s defense, middle linebacker Bobby Wagner and weakside linebacker K.J. Wright. From 2012-2014, Norton was part of a defensive staff that helped the Seahawks lead the NFL in scoring defense each of those seasons and in total defense in 2013 and 2014.

Schottenheimer, 44, most recently served as the quarterbacks coach in Indianapolis over the past two seasons, but also has significant experience as an offensive coordinator, holding that position with the New York Jets from 2006-2011, the St. Louis Rams from 2012-2014, and the University of Georgia in 2015.

Schottenheimer, who played quarterback at the University of Florida, has coached that position in the NFL with Washington, San Diego and most recently the Colts. He is the son of longtime NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer. Drew Brees, who began his career in San Diego and eventually became one of the most prolific passers in NFL history, credited Schottenheimer with helping him develop as a young quarterback.

“He’s been such a great influence for me,” Brees said in 2006. “I don’t think we would have had the success we’ve had as a team or as an offense without him, nor do I think I would have had the same individual success were it not for Brian. As great a coach and mentor as he has been, he’s been an even better friend off the field. I couldn’t ask for someone to do a better job of instructing and preparing me to play the game each week.”

And despite his background as a quarterback, Schottenheimer’s track record also suggests he should be able to help Seahawks coach Pete Carroll’s goal of “not losing the essence of who we are” when it comes to having a successful running game. During his six seasons with the Jets, Schottenheimer’s offenses finished in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards, attempts and yards per attempt three times, and top ten in rushing touchdowns four times. The 2009 Jets, who advanced to the AFC championship game, led the NFL both in rushing attempts and yards.

Solari, 63, has enjoyed a long career as an NFL offensive line coach, including two seasons in Seattle in 2008 and 2009. He also served as Kansas City’s offensive coordinator from 2006-2007. Most recently, Solari spent the past two seasons as the offensive line coach for the New York Giants.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
WOW, no worries here, Ken Norton, JR., was over matched as a DC in Oakland, they had to call in John Pagano to save his ass and then they fired him anyway, add in Schottenheimer and MIke Solari, who oversaw the Giants Offensive Line that has been a colossal failure since they hired Solari in 2016....IMO the Seahawks have downgraded in those three areas.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Schottenheimer is the new OC for the Seahawks? Haha this is the best news I’ve heard all day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think very highly of Kris Richard. I'd make an effort to get him on our staff. He's one of the best DB Coaches in the NFL, and I thought he was a better schemer than Gus Bradley. I think Seattle will regret letting him go. I'd love to hire him as a position coach and a DC-in-waiting in case Wade retires.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow shocked Munchak bowed out, very confusing, so it will come down to Steve Wilks, John DeFilippo and Brian Flores and Steve Keim likes to be an out of the box thinker, but I have to believe it will come down to Wilks or DeFilippo because Flores is very inexperienced....Wilks IMO, would be a solid hire, Rams interviewed him last season.
Thinking either Munchak is getting the OC job in Pittsburgh and/or Arizona has their guy and he knew he wasnt it

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thinking either Munchak is getting the OC job in Pittsburgh and/or Arizona has their guy and he knew he wasnt it

Tomlin underscores his cluessness, he fires the coordinator whose unit put up 42 points and keeps the guy whose unit gave up 45. Munchak might be their OC and wonder where Haley ends up, maybe in Tennessee with Mike Vrabel as their Head Coach.

Rumor has it that QB Coach Randy Fichtner likely next OC for Steelers so we shall see how this breaks out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tomlin underscores his cluessness, he fires the coordinator whose unit put up 42 points and keeps the guy whose unit gave up 45. Munchak might be their OC and wonder where Haley ends up, maybe in Tennessee with Mike Vrabel as their Head Coach.

Rumor has it that QB Coach Randy Fichtner likely next OC for Steelers so we shall see how this breaks out.
Sounds like Haley was not a well liked guy in Steeler town
Munchak is the pride of Scranton PA, maybe he just wants to stay home

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/17/steelers-make-it-official-on-todd-haley-departure/

Steelers make it official on Todd Haley departure
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 17, 2018

186722484-e1516218024344.jpg

Getty Images

The Steelers made it official Wednesday, announcing that offensive coordinator Todd Haley wasn’t returning (which we knew already).

The team put out a two-sentence statement from coach Mike Tomlin, which said the kind of stuff two-sentence statements say.

“I have made the decision to not renew the contract for offensive coordinator Todd Haley,” Tomlin said. “I would like to thank Todd for his contributions to our offense the past six years, and we wish him the best in his coaching future.”

The release doesn’t mention a succession plan, though quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner is viewed as a likely replacement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...te-to-be-next-steelers-offensive-coordinator/

Randy Fichtner favorite to be next Steelers offensive coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2018, 12:51 PM EST

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Tuesday that he feels the “least amount of change, the better” when it comes to their offensive coaching staff this offseason.

Now change is out the window with Todd Haley not getting a new contract as the team’s offensive coordinator. Early word on the team’s plans to replace Haley suggests that there won’t be much more upheaval.

According to multiple reports, quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner is the favorite to wind up as the new coordinator in Pittsburgh.

Fichtner has been the Steelers’ quarterbacks coach since 2010 and was the wide receivers coach for three years before moving into that role, so he has a long relationship with both Roethlisberger and head coach Mike Tomlin and has been on hand for some big years for the Steelers offense.