COACH Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Are the slow starts every year common for Coach Fishers teams? I remember when the team would go to Tennessee in preseason and practice against the Titans. They always seemed to be much more ready and almost violently tough to practice and play.

Since being here it seems like the Rams take 4-5 weeks to find that edge and get going. Usually by that time we are either out of the hunt or have such a huge hill to climb.

I remember dreading having to play Fishers teams because of how physical they were. They beat on you for 60 minutes. So whats the deal is my age slowing my memory and I'm remembering them tougher than they were, I know our teams sucked so that may have something to do with it or I'm just getting selective memory

I'm not seeing the meanness I Remember the Titans having. So like my earlier question. Is Fishers teams always slow out the gate or is this a new phenomenon with the Rams?

Also could Coach Williams be pulling the reigns in to keep the guys from being to aggressive due to him being back his first year with control of the D and doesn't want anyone saying that anything looks like bounty gate with vicious hits?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Are the slow starts every year common for Coach Fishers teams? I remember when the team would go to Tennessee in preseason and practice against the Titans. They always seemed to be much more ready and almost violently tough to practice and play.

Since being here it seems like the Rams take 4-5 weeks to find that edge and get going. Usually by that time we are either out of the hunt or have such a huge hill to climb.

I remember dreading having to play Fishers teams because of how physical they were. They beat on you for 60 minutes. So whats the deal is my age slowing my memory and I'm remembering them tougher than they were, I know our teams sucked so that may have something to do with it or I'm just getting selective memory

I'm not seeing the meanness I Remember the Titans having. So like my earlier question. Is Fishers teams always slow out the gate or is this a new phenomenon with the Rams?

Also could Coach Williams be pulling the reigns in to keep the guys from being to aggressive due to him being back his first year with control of the D and doesn't want anyone saying that anything looks like bounty gate with vicious hits?

Those are solid considerations.

We don't see the ferocity we expected. Week one was... well... I don't even want to think about that effort. Week two they seemed to meld more and play hard. The secondary might be leading the team in playing hard and that's not good.

We DON'T have an answer as to why a badass DC taking over a badass D isn't performing.

My HOPE is just that it's players getting used to a new scheme. They better be ready Sunday because Dallas is the real deal.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure that the way TJ McDonald laid out Mike Evans to save that game for the Rams that Coach Williams isn't asking anyone to hold anything back.

Either than or TJ isn't listening...

I don't think this is a matter of wanting to start slow. Last year, they tried to go with Richardson and a pass heavy O. Once they fixed that mistake, they turned things around, so it was a strategery mistake. The D was super hard hitting.

This year, the D is functioning from a new system. They're doing better in Pass D, but still finding their way in Run D. Some plays, they get it and get the TFL. Others, they get gashed a bit. With this DL, the Williams D has the potential to be outrageously stingy as a Run D.

Probably not this year. Probably next year, once folks really have a year in the system. That said, guys are already getting it. Mostly. The problem is that games can be won and lost with a few plays.

Rams won the TB game on a defensive play by TJ (although they almost lost it because of a blown defensive call by Fisher who miscommunicated the call he wanted to GW). So we'll see going forward.

I was at the Tampa game. Our D hits HARD. I dunno about the first game. Even JL said they didn't hit anybody, so maybe we just let that one go. But if Game 2 is any indication, the Rams are back in the smash mouth business.

Alan

Legend
Interesting question. I can't answer it because I was never a big fan of his coaching and was against us hiring him. Of course he's our coach now so...

I will say this however, I think he's not been able to wrap his head around the minimized training allowed by the new CBA. He doesn't work our vets hard enough and they spend the first few weeks working out the kinks they should have worked out in the preseason. I'm probably wrong though.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Interesting question. I can't answer it because I was never a big fan of his coaching and was against us hiring him. Of course he's our coach now so...

I will say this however, I think he's not been able to wrap his head around the minimized training allowed by the new CBA. He doesn't work our vets hard enough and they spend the first few weeks working out the kinks they should have worked out in the preseason. I'm probably wrong though.

But all teams have the CBA. Rams are the team with fewer vets in most areas. They should have been able to take the Vikings.

Whatever the argument, they better be ready for Dallas. Dallas needs an ass whooping and Rams have the talent to do it.

Alan

Legend
RamzFanz thinking equity:
But all teams have the CBA. Rams are the team with fewer vets in most areas. They should have been able to take the Vikings.
But every HC does his TC and off season stuff differently so I don't think you can compare one to to another. Unless I'm misremembering, Fisher is notorious for his laissez-faire attitude towards vets. Especially when it comes to conditioning but in other ways too. Such as reps in practice and number of practices they're required to attend. It's just my theory so...who knows.

I think all the teams are starting out slower than usual since the new CBA took affect. The Rams are just a little slower than the other teams. Or some of them anyway.

I think we're going to beat the Cowgirls. I'm not sure why. :)

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard a few people make the statement about the change to Williams system. I was under the impression that they were running his system basically from year one, especially with Blake making the calls. I also thought Fisher and Williams were pretty much on the same.page as to how the D was going to be ran before Williams got suspended.

@Allan I wonder about the camps as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are the slow starts every year common for Coach Fishers teams?

Nope. No discernible pattern in Tennessee. Was probably around equal in the number of years they had a better first half and the number of years they had a better second half.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Last year our run defense had 2 awful games (Dallas, SF) back to back. Walton as DC was a problem, specifically in the secondary.

As to the Minnesota game, keep in mind that this Oline had only played 1-1/2 quarters together. Add in Davis, subbing for Hill, and you have a mess: on the Jeff Fisher show, Davis freely admitted that 2 of the false starts were on him. I would also agree that some of the fundamentals were missing in training camp, specifically tackling. Rainey was extremely elusive but some of those runs just shouldn't have happened. Kind of like Patterson's TD run.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I expect a couple good run plays in a game by the other team. Just don't want a bunch! This isn't the steel curtain, yet! I think it will be soon, though! Looking forward to it!

tbux

Rookie
This year I think it is too much youth everywhere and losing two major players that are also leaders in Sam and Long.

fearsomefour

Legend
Those are solid considerations.

We don't see the ferocity we expected. Week one was... well... I don't even want to think about that effort. Week two they seemed to meld more and play hard. The secondary might be leading the team in playing hard and that's not good.

We DON'T have an answer as to why a badass DC taking over a badass D isn't performing.

My HOPE is just that it's players getting used to a new scheme. They better be ready Sunday because Dallas is the real deal.
I dont really think Williams is as advertised. I will certainly take him over what we have had. But, he had a huge luxury of almost always playing with a lead in New Orleans. Also, if he gambled and gave up a big play (something his Ds in NO did do) he knew the O, most times, would drive right back down the field.
Stat wise his D rankings have been middle-ish of the pack for a good part of his career. There is more raw/young talent here than a lot of places he has been. So, I certainly expect more and think we will get more than a middle of the pack D. But, his style is super aggressive, super aggressive means you will give up some big plays.
At some point teams are going to have to take some deeper passes in the passing game. So far, it has been 3 step and gone to offset the pass rush. God help a team if we get a two score lead on anyone. Its a process and will take some time. Denver invested heavily in their D and through 2 weeks is ranked like 30th or something and dead last vs. the pass. Im not in worry mode at all with this D I am just interested to see how it evolves week to week. Turnovers were a real hallmark of Williams Ds, a by product of the super aggressive style of play. Last week was a good start.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams won the TB game on a defensive play by TJ (although they almost lost it because of a blown defensive call by Fisher who miscommunicated the call he wanted to GW).
Please explain the Blown/miscommunicated Play! I'm not aware of what your referring to!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It has for the most part been previously stated. I think our youth and player turnover coupled with a new system have been the main reasons behind the slow start. Physicality I think is more of a reflection of our personel. We have some physical players TJ Mac and Brockers also Dunbar to a degree but for the most part we are athletic and finesse. Quinn speed athleticism JJ the same A.O more of the same etc...

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please explain the Blown/miscommunicated Play! I'm not aware of what your referring to!

Last play of the game Fisher stated he was thinking of a different formation but yelled out the three DL formation.instead of the formation he was thinking

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last play of the game Fisher stated he was thinking of a different formation but yelled out the three DL formation.instead of the formation he was thinking
OK, Thanks for the info!

…..

Legend

I dont think you are wrong. Good post.

Debacled

Starter
Yet again the Rams are fielding an extremely young team. It isn't the vets that need to knock off the rust, its the younger guys. One thing you will see with younger players is more thinking than feeling, and that will slow them down. Once the young guys get more comfortable with what they are doing or what they are expected to do you will see less thinking and more feeling. That would improve overall play a TON.

Look at Quick for a great example of this. Took him a couple years to connect the dots, but we are watching it all come together now. Same can be said about McDonald, he appears to be a quick learner and is making a fantastic impact thus far this year.