Coach Fisher gives Rams reasons for optimism

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
brand.png

Ann Killion
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Coach-Fisher-gives-Rams-reasons-for-optimism-4844253.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Coa ... 844253.php</a>

St. Louis --

This isn't how the Rams drew up their start either. High offseason aspirations have slammed into the hard reality of a 1-2 record.

Such a start used to be routine for the Rams, but Jeff Fisher's arrival in St. Louis in 2012 raised expectations. His team's toe-to-toe play with its historical rival last season - a tie and an overtime victory against the 49ers - raised them higher.

"With respect to the rivalry, it really hasn't been one," Fisher said this week. "This organization has been on the losing end of a lot of games. Last year, we got our feet back on the map, but I don't think there's a rivalry yet.

"I hope it will become one."

It seemed to be on its way last season, especially after the Rams' overtime victory at the Edwards Jones Dome. The 49ers made crucial late-game errors, running an ill-advised pitch play deep in their own territory and botching the clock management at the end of the game. Fisher got some digs in at the 49ers afterward, saying, "I don't know what they were trying to accomplish there."

This week, Fisher had former Rams great Eric Dickerson attend practice. Dickerson whipped up the renewed rivalry angle.

"We hate the Niners still," Dickerson said. "That hasn't changed."

A former great could spout off, but Fisher and his players were saying all the right things. Coming off their own beat-down on the road, a 31-7 drubbing by Dallas, they can't dare express any belief that they might be catching the diminished 49ers at a good time. But after playing the 49ers dead even for almost 10 quarters last season, the young Rams - the youngest team in the league - are confident.

"Guys have complete respect for the 49ers," Fisher said. "But we know that when the game's on, both teams have a chance to win."

It's that self-belief and confidence that's a new thing for the Rams under Fisher. It's the same kind of changed mind-set that Jim Harbaugh brought to the 49ers in 2011.

"Having that confidence in your locker room every day is worth a lot," said Rams defensive end Chris Long. "It kind of breaks you out of that culture of losing. Of expecting the worst.

"With Coach Fish you expect the best. You really look forward to every day of work, thinking what can go right rather than what can go wrong."

Safety Craig Dahl, who switched uniforms from the Rams to the 49ers in the offseason, said of Fisher: "He has an aura about himself that just exudes through the team."

And Fisher has longevity. Perhaps the most underrated head coach in the league, Fisher has 150 wins under his belt, third most among active coaches behind Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan. Most members of the Rams team grew up watching Fisher's Tennessee Titans play.

He brought some Tennessee players with him, including cornerback Courtland Finnegan who likes Fisher so much he rents a room in his house (he refused to say what he pays in rent, joking, "check my tax returns").

"He's a players' coach," Finnegan said. "He's a guy you can talk to about more than football if you're struggling. He's looking for the best for his players."

Fisher was the 49ers' defensive backs coach in 1992 and 1993, under George Seifert. The 49ers were a dominant team then, on the brink of their last Super Bowl victory.

"I loved the guy," said Eric Davis, a former 49er who is part of the team's radio broadcasting team. "He understands the mentality of the guys in the huddle. He knew how to deal with personalities, when to micromanage and when to let the rules be broken."

After coaching Davis, Merton Hanks and Tim McDonald, Fisher left to become defensive coordinator of the Houston Oilers and - midway through the 1994 season when Jack Pardee was fired - ascended to head coach at age 36. He kept the team on track as it migrated, first to Memphis and then to Nashville, winning four division titles, making six playoff appearances and coming inches from beating the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Fisher's trademark is tough defense, a style he learned from his mentor Buddy Ryan, for whom he played in Chicago.

"He's a tough guy," Davis said. "He is going to coach you to beat a guy into submission. He doesn't want guys around who aren't tough."

Fisher left the Titans after the 2011 season and was hired by the Rams a year later, a splashy, expensive hire after years of underwhelming leaders like Joe Vitt, Scott Linehan, Jim Haslett and Steve Spagnuolo. The Rams had been making high draft picks for years and had some talent.

What they didn't have was a winning attitude.

"The greatest thing for the guys who have been here through some of the struggles was that he said, 'That's the past; put it behind you,' " said quarterback Sam Bradford. "He said, 'We're worried about the future, and this is how we're going to make things better.' The way he carries himself in meetings, on the field, in practice and on game days, he has a confidence that flows into everyone in this locker room.

"He told us, 'we're going to win games, we're going to be a good football team, and you guys need to believe that.' With his belief in us, we're like, 'OK. We can do that.' We expect to win games now."

And the Rams expect to renew their rivalry with the 49ers. Dickerson told a story about his favorite 49ers-Rams moment: how he once ran over Ronnie Lott late in a game and the Rams kicked a field goal to win the game. The game he was talking about was in September 1986, years before most of the players on the Rams' current roster were born.

It was a nice story. But the Rams have their own memories of beating the 49ers by a field goal. That memory, along with the confidence instilled by their head coach, is plenty of fuel.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't think anyone questions that Fisher exudes confidence. I hope they bounce back this game. My enthusiasm for the talents of the players is very high.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I remember watching my favorite football player in the universe run over that son of a bitch in that game. Lott was a player who would take every opportunity to lay vicious shots on any opposing player... especially players who were in defenseless positions.

Watching ED2105 truck his ass head-on was more enjoyable than the actual win that day.

God Bless you Eric!!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ya know, I really don't doubt our players or Fisher. With all the talent we have and Fisher at the helm, we have a bright future. I'll credit the early season struggle to major growing pains but it needs to be a lot better by mid-season.

jap

Legend
mr.stlouis said:
Ya know, I really don't doubt our players or Fisher. With all the talent we have and Fisher at the helm, we have a bright future. I'll credit the early season struggle to major growing pains but it needs to be a lot better by mid-season.

Early season struggles were to be expected with such a young team, and a number of posters mentioned this probability months ago. Young players have to get accustomed to the speed, quickness, strength, and intelligence level at the pro ranks before they deliver consistent results. Besides, we have new players trying to fit in with last year's players.