Coach Fassel on Michael Sam’s Progress on Special Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

How is Michael Sam adjusting to the Rams’ special teams? ST coach John Fassel on the topic. There is a question on what his weight should be. Lighter=faster=good for special teams, but might not be so good for playing defensive end. (1:02)

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Does anyone see him as a DE at this level, or more of a pass-rushing SLB type?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Personally I think his biggest problem is that he is kind of a tweener. To answer your question from my perspective DCH - if he makes the team, it will likely be because he comes in as a speed rusher at a weight that allows him to do well at ST.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Somebody PLEEEEASE feed Coach Bones a couple of ham sandwiches with extra bacon and cheese.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Interesting to hear. Never really heard a ST coach in a interview. Seems like he has a idea of what's going on. Always pictured a ST coach as a coach that couldn't make it as a decent Defensive of Offensive coach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Could we not use him as a LB? Like as a pass rushing LB, rather than a hand in the dirt
I think that's most likely if he sticks. Guess we'll see. I honestly haven't seen much of him on tape.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If he can't contribute and I don't mean just filling a spot on ST it will be difficult for him to make this team. There are other guys competing too and I don't wantto see any thing other than the absolute best 53 on the roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As far as using the under 6-2 260 Sam as a designated pass rusher because he is too small to be an every-down player due to his small stature...who do you bench a 6-3 275 Chris Long or the 6-3 275 Hayes or the 6-1 289 pound Donald or the 6-6 270 Sims or the 6-4 265 Quinn insert Sam ? Just does not sound so smart to me.

I still remain very hopeful for the UDFA 6-3 270 very nasty very mean Ethan Westbrooks who has been a proven very effective in the interior with Donald myself. Rams are stacked @ DE I prefer to beef up the interior DL IMO.

I agree with RamFan 503 that Sam would work best in a defense designed like the Patriots or the 9ers or Broncos.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As far as using the under 6-2 260 Sam as a designated pass rusher because he is too small to be an every-down player due to his small stature...who do you bench a 6-3 275 Chris Long or the 6-3 275 Hayes or the 6-1 289 pound Donald or the 6-6 270 Sims or the 6-4 265 Quinn insert Sam ? Just does not sound so smart to me.

I still remain very hopeful for the UDFA 6-3 270 very nasty very mean Ethan Westbrooks who has been a proven very effective in the interior with Donald myself. Rams are stacked @ DE I prefer to beef up the interior DL IMO.

I agree with RamFan 503 that Sam would work best in a defense designed like the Patriots or the 9ers or Broncos.
True, true. But if he plays his way onto special teams and can maybe find a way to become a backup OLB, then that would be cool.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somebody PLEEEEASE feed Coach Bones a couple of ham sandwiches with extra bacon and cheese.
I think he may be getting ready to play the lead role in "The Machinist" in a local production off Broadway.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sam has something special in him, and that is an extra gear when pursuing the QB. If he makes the team, and is on the 53, he will be used in special packages where he can do just that, say on 3rd and long situations, for instance, but he will also have to be used on special teams to make it. He has good instincts, and closes out extremely well. I can't wait to see him on special teams...I hope he thrives.

Don't see him as a OLB at all, unless he was an OLB in a 3-4 as a rush backer, which, I guess, we might give that look as a package.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

I don't think he will be taking snaps away from starters but if two of them get injured? Always have to have depth. And he has to prove that he can be that depth.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I think Sam is basically a rotation pass-rusher, and that's the only way he should be used. IMO.