Coach Dungy says...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just read were Coach Dungy, on the Dan Patrick show, said " The None call" on Dez Bryant, for coming on the Field, with-out a Helmet, was worse than the "Non pass-interference call." and that the Ref's were "Gutless for not calling it!!" It should have been a 15 yard penalty according to Dungy. I agree!! What-say-you!?

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree. When I saw the PI, I actually didn't think it was that bad. I had bigger issues with them picking up the flag and not calling a foul on Bryant.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I didn't even notice that. What bothers me is how internet fans are saying tht Lions fans are complaining about the call cost them the game. "No excuses, blah blah blah, should've stopped them on the next drive, blah blah blah." That's not the point, a flag can't be just picked up and erased AFTER it was announced and accepted. If everyone just moved on, this will never get fixed.

I think the best part is where they cherry pick the split second where the WR has a finger on the facemask, and pretend like that's a penalty that should've been called. So these same people on their high horses and saying "oh no excuses" are saying there was a flag that wasn't called. Isn't that what irony is called?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just read were Coach Dungy, on the Dan Patrick show, said " The None call" on Dez Bryant, for coming on the Field, with-out a Helmet, was worse than the "Non pass-interference call." and that the Ref's were "Gutless for not calling it!!" It should have been a 15 yard penalty according to Dungy. I agree!! What-say-you!?

I will add this. Maybe the NFL Isnt bent on getting Dallas in the Superbowl as much as they just figured Dallas vs Green Bay is a bigger matchup and will get much more attention?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Dungy is right, should have drawn a flag.

The situation with the picked up flag and anyone thinking that is what caused the Lions to lose is laughable. That was one play in a game where there were plenty of other things that came into play in the final outcome. 3 turn overs in the second half is a bigger factor

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Yep. Sure do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Dungy is right, should have drawn a flag.

The situation with the picked up flag and anyone thinking that is what caused the Lions to lose is laughable. That was one play in a game where there were plenty of other things that came into play in the final outcome. 3 turn overs in the second half is a bigger factor

Not so laughable. At the time of the call the Lions were in the game and playing well. Often it can just take one bad call to change momentum in a game. We as Rams fans have witnessed this many times this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't even notice that. What bothers me is how internet fans are saying tht Lions fans are complaining about the call cost them the game. "No excuses, blah blah blah, should've stopped them on the next drive, blah blah blah." That's not the point, a flag can't be just picked up and erased AFTER it was announced and accepted. If everyone just moved on, this will never get fixed.

I think the best part is where they cherry pick the split second where the WR has a finger on the facemask, and pretend like that's a penalty that should've been called. So these same people on their high horses and saying "oh no excuses" are saying there was a flag that wasn't called. Isn't that what irony is called?
Not to mention, and the film shows it, the cowbell player was pulling on the lions players jersey before the hand to the face!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will add this. Maybe the NFL Isnt bent on getting Dallas in the Superbowl as much as they just figured Dallas vs Green Bay is a bigger matchup and will get much more attention?
If True, It shows what " Football Purists" they are!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not so laughable. At the time of the call the Lions were in the game and playing well. Often it can just take one bad call to change momentum in a game. We as Rams fans have witnessed this many times this year.
Not buying it. They had plenty of opportunities to add on and did not get it done in the second half. They had the ball with plenty of time and time outs at the end of the game even moved in to Dallas territory and then choked. Stafford fumbled not once but twice on that last drive, he did not get it done.

Dallas had a holding call on a play where they scored, they regrouped and got the TD.

How many penalties and non calls did GSOT work through and go on to win? One play does not win or lose a game.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I listened to a retired head ref (who refereed several superbowls) on Mike & Mike weigh in on both the non-PI call & the Dez non-call. I tend to agree with him on the non-PI call: after watching the play live, I could tell that it was NOT DPI, because the DB had both hands off the WR, but the WR had both of his hands grabbing the DB! i.e., he wasn't try to catch the ball, he was falling backwards grabbing the DB & trying to generate a DPI flag (a la Odell grabbing Tree's facemask on his way out of bounds to draw a late hit flag). I was yelling at the TV when the flag was thrown, just to make sure the ref heard me :) Also, per the old ref guy, the WR has to be making an attempt to catch the ball for it to be DPI. The ball wasn't catchable anyway, hitting the DB in the back.

Also, according to the retired ref guy, it was not the line judge who threw the flag, but another guy down field; the line judge, who was closest, disagreed with the flag, but did not communicate it to the head ref on the field on time before the head ref announced it. After he told the head ref it was not a foul, his call overruled the other ref's call, so the head ref picked it up--extraordinary, but still within his right to do so if he believes the call needs to be changed.

As far as Dez goes, players on the sidelines enter the field OFTEN during games; refs usually give the players a bit of lee-way to get off of the field before they throw an Unsportsmanlike flag. I didn't see Dez, but according to the retired ref guy, Dez got off the field quickly, and it's the ref's prerogative to throw or not throw the flag. Usually they throw the flag only if the player keeps getting in their face & doesn't leave them alone.

I'm not saying the NFL is not fixed, that's a whole other ball of ear wax.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
First of all momentum in a game is a real thing. That penalty would have made it first down...... whether we agree with the pick up of the penalty flag or not....... it is interesting to note that with 4 minutes left the Cowboys had been called for 5 penalties and the Lions 3 up until that point..... then the Lions were called for 5 penalties in the last 4 minutes ...... as many as the Cowboys had in the game until that point... while the Cowboys were called for just 1 in the last 4 minutes.

I'm just saying........

Go Rams........... ;)

VilleDeal

UDFA
after all of the buffoonery we all saw all year from the stripes... is there any wonder that this type thing happened.... welcome to our world.

VilleDeal

UDFA
after all of the buffoonery we all saw all year from the stripes... is there any wonder that this type thing happened.... welcome to our world.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Refs are just supposed to call the fouls that happen period. They aren't supposed to be making up variations on the rules as they go. If a guy is on the field and removes his helmet it's a penalty and that should be the end of the story.

The idea that a ref says to himself he won't call it this time because he's decided in order for there to be a penalty it has to meet his own criteria is pure bullshit. That old saying " let them play, it's the playoffs" is more bullshit. There is no separate set of rules that go into effect during the playoffs.

Athos

Legend
Yep.

OPI/DPI. Neither should have mattered.

The moment Dez ran onto the field without his helmet on, the Lions should have been given the 1st down.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I listened to a retired head ref (who refereed several superbowls) on Mike & Mike weigh in on both the non-PI call & the Dez non-call. I tend to agree with him on the non-PI call: after watching the play live, I could tell that it was NOT DPI, because the DB had both hands off the WR, but the WR had both of his hands grabbing the DB! i.e., he wasn't try to catch the ball, he was falling backwards grabbing the DB & trying to generate a DPI flag (a la Odell grabbing Tree's facemask on his way out of bounds to draw a late hit flag). I was yelling at the TV when the flag was thrown, just to make sure the ref heard me :) Also, per the old ref guy, the WR has to be making an attempt to catch the ball for it to be DPI. The ball wasn't catchable anyway, hitting the DB in the back.

Also, according to the retired ref guy, it was not the line judge who threw the flag, but another guy down field; the line judge, who was closest, disagreed with the flag, but did not communicate it to the head ref on the field on time before the head ref announced it. After he told the head ref it was not a foul, his call overruled the other ref's call, so the head ref picked it up--extraordinary, but still within his right to do so if he believes the call needs to be changed.

As far as Dez goes, players on the sidelines enter the field OFTEN during games; refs usually give the players a bit of lee-way to get off of the field before they throw an Unsportsmanlike flag. I didn't see Dez, but according to the retired ref guy, Dez got off the field quickly, and it's the ref's prerogative to throw or not throw the flag. Usually they throw the flag only if the player keeps getting in their face & doesn't leave them alone.

I'm not saying the NFL is not fixed, that's a whole other ball of ear wax.

The ref on Cowherd said that the penalty definitely should have been pass interference but the ref was correct for not penalizing Bryant because he never really came after a ref or touched him in anyway.

I call BS on the last part. If Bryant touched a ref then he would be ejected. We saw that ourselves when a Ram accidentally touched a ref while putting his arms up in frustration. Bryant came out disputing the call and removed his helmet. That is a penalty. The interference call was interference because the DB was holding before the pass.

The thing that needs to be done on these amoebus calls is that they all need to be reviewed by the refs over the offseason and then a hard line taken on each and everyone to decide what is the right call. I have seen guys get PI because they didn't turn and look for the ball, when in a receivers face. So, which one is right and why should one apply to one team and not the other. That is where the real disparity comes into play. Double standards apply to certain teams and it is getting tiresome.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Rams defensive front should have been getting holding penalties against the opposition 5 or 10 times a game but it just isn't going to happen. Hell sometimes I wish for 1 or 2 and it doesn't happen.

Bitching about the refs has been happening longer than I have been watching and that's a LONG time.