Clowney: We Love Kicking People Off The Mountain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I remember, you're correct. Matthews did come out ahead but I still have kept Clowney at #2 mainly because he's really an exception for me. The talent level is so high that it kind of breaks the scale persay. For example, if we had Roddy White and Julio Jones, I'd still draft Calvin Johnson if he was there. If we had Arian Foster, I'd still take Adrian Peterson. If we had Matt Ryan, I'd still take Peyton Manning.(Johnson, Peterson and Manning as prospects)

Those are the true exceptions. Rare talents. And you kind of just have to trust your gut on that one. But you're right, on my scale, I should have Matthews rated just slightly higher.
Thanks Jrry, I had written a more detailed response last night and then the server went down. :eek:

I appreciate your insight, my gut feeling is Matthews will be at least a 10 year rock on someone's OL with multiple pro bowl appearances I hope it is in horns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
none of them had a reputation for taking plays off, none had the HC calling them out in the media. don't get me wrong, if we take him ill root for him as long as he is a Ram, I just think there is too much risk involved.

Julius Peppers sure had that reputation. Never stopped him. The production argument is a bad one to make. Want to argue the taking plays off, I can't disagree. He does. I don't think it'll stop him from being great but it's the biggest flaw he has.

The HC stuff is meaningless.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if the rams draft clowney I will have such a huge boner I will have to hunt down my wife and surgeon her. then the boner might go away, maybe.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
none of them had a reputation for taking plays off, none had the HC calling them out in the media. don't get me wrong, if we take him ill root for him as long as he is a Ram, I just think there is too much risk involved.
Clowney didn't have his head coach "call him out in the media" either.

Spurrier said his work ethic is okay.."It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different. His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, a Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has."

Hardly "calling him out". If anything he is illustrating how his talent is so superior he can get by without having to put everything into practice constantly. Some players are like that and Clowney won't be the first nor the last.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Spurrier said his work ethic is okay.."It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different. His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, a Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has."

Hardly "calling him out". If anything he is illustrating how his talent is so superior he can get by without having to put everything into practice constantly. Some players are like that and Clowney won't be the first nor the last.

He might be talking about the whole injury thing after the game...but people never remember that Spurrier took it back a couple days later...said there was poor communication between him and the trainers.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Clowney gets out out of bed and puts his pants on two legs at a time.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Clowney gets out out of bed and puts his pants on two legs at a time.
And?

Yeah, even the all time greats put their pants on one leg at a time...and some of those all time greats didn't have the same practice habits as other all time greats...

I fail to see your point.

tonyl711

Starter
He might be talking about the whole injury thing after the game...but people never remember that Spurrier took it back a couple days later...said there was poor communication between him and the trainers.
that is what I was talking about Jrry ty for clearing that up, he did back track on it, but I don't think he says it in the first place unless there was truth to it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
And?

Yeah, even the all time greats put their pants on one leg at a time...and some of those all time greats didn't have the same practice habits as other all time greats...

I fail to see your point.
It was just a joke meaning that he has God given talent like very few have. I don't personally know about his work ethic, but there are some red flags there with this kid. There is some risk/reward, both at a very high level, because he's going to be a high pick. Because of needs, I'd have to pass on him, if it was ME making the decision, but I'll be the first to admit, he's one of those RARE talents.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It was just a joke meaning that he has God given talent like very few have. I don't personally know about his work ethic, but there are some red flags there with this kid. There is some risk/reward, both at a very high level, because he's going to be a high pick. Because of needs, I'd have to pass on him, if it was ME making the decision, but I'll be the first to admit, he's one of those RARE talents.
I certainly agree with all of that.

I'm not in the Clowney camp...I think there are other players with very high potential at the top that we can draft that make our team better than what Clowney would.

But I also don't look for reasons to tear down a player I don't want the Rams to draft just to make my argument for another player better. (not saying that was what you are doing by any means).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that is what I was talking about Jrry ty for clearing that up, he did back track on it, but I don't think he says it in the first place unless there was truth to it.

Or unless he was ticked off that we let Kentucky come back in that game and make it close and went off before exploring the situation then realized he was wrong.

Spurrier isn't the type to BS you.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm just happy the kid blew up the combine. Now if Houston doesn't take him, the second pick becomes more valuable. And I wouldn't be too upset if the Rams take him at two either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

upload_2014-2-26_17-8-37.jpeg

is that believable or did i aim too high?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

imagine if the texans take clowney and no teams think enough of the qbs to trade up for one. that would be the worst case scenario for the rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

imagine if the texans take clowney and no teams think enough of the qbs to trade up for one. that would be the worst case scenario for the rams.

Even in that scenario, I think we'd be okay. There are plenty of good options at #2. But from all reports, Texans are going QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even in that scenario, I think we'd be okay. There are plenty of good options at #2. But from all reports, Texans are going QB.

yeah, i'm not worried about the options. rams will be a better team with any of them. just that it would be nice to get an extra pick and still get the player they wanted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah, i'm not worried about the options. rams will be a better team with any of them. just that it would be nice to get an extra pick and still get the player they wanted.

I concur.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
People focus on the select few negative plays while ignoring all the positive ones that don't go on the stat sheet. And even more importantly, they ignore how much teams schemed for him. North Carolina neutered their offense by running mainly screens and quick passes because they were so worried about Clowney. They often doubled or chipped him.

^^^ This. I agree. I saw the same thing on the little tape I watched. Teams ran away from / schemed for Clowney more than I have ever seen a team scheme for a defensive player.

I don't see how he gets past #1 overall.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
^^^ This. I agree. I saw the same thing on the little tape I watched. Teams ran away from / schemed for Clowney more than I have ever seen a team scheme for a defensive player.

I don't see how he gets past #1 overall.

Yessir. Watching that UNC game reminded me just how much I want Clowney. That play where UNC doubled him with the RG and RT was just so sexy. Clowney attacked the B gap and used each of his arms to throw two 300+ pound OLs out of the way. That's insane. And the guy hasn't even grown fully into his frame yet.