Clowney Says He’ll Put On A Show At Nfl Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://thetandd.com/sports/college/9e4f8d68-83e5-11e3-b4d1-001a4bcf887a.html

Alongside leadership and work ethic, Jadeveon Clowney showed that he learned something else from Marcus Lattimore – never sidestep an opportunity to make a favorable impression.

Even though he is not eligible to play in the game, Clowney made the rounds on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., by meeting with representatives of NFL teams, following in Lattimore’s footsteps.

A year ago, Lattimore watched Senior Bowl practice from the sidelines, talked with NFL scouts and executives and spoke with reporters. The public relations strategy worked as Lattimore enthralled the right people and was eventually selected in the fourth round by the San Francisco 49ers despite missing the second halves of his junior and senior seasons with serious knee injuries.

Clowney, of course, is expected to be among the top five picks in the 2014 NFL Draft (May 8-10 in New York City), although his unmistakable objective over the next 4-1/2 months is impressing the right people and hearing his name announced as the No. 1 overall pick when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell steps to the podium for the first time.

“It’s very valuable to put a face with a name, and be out here watching the guys,” Clowney told reporters on Tuesday, according to a story in the Baltimore Sun. “It’s something to experience.”

Clowney is aware of the whispers surrounding him after his sack total dropped from 13 in 2012 to three in 2013. After a couple of episodes this past season, some analysts have questioned his work ethic and willingness to play football at a high level for a sustained period of time.

Clowney vowed to put all those concerns to rest by putting on a show at next month’s NFL combine at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis when he plans to perform all of the drills during the annual showcase for about 300 NFL hopefuls that runs from Feb. 22-25.

“I plan on doing everything,” said Clowney, who told the media horde at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala., last July that his best ever 40-yard dash time was quicker than 4.5 seconds. “It’s all about competing and I’m a competitor.”

NFL.com analysts Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks and Matt Smith each have the Houston Texans taking Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick in their initial mock drafts. In addition, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt ranks Clowney as the No. 2 overall prospect behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel and ESPN’s Mel Kiper has “J.D.” going No. 3 overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

According to Jason Cole of the National Football Post, a St. Louis Rams assistant coach joked about his team taking Clowney in the No. 2 spot and “putting him on the field with fellow defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long, but then admitted that might be difficult.”

Clowney welcomed the stratospheric expectations he faces at the next level.

“I’m just going to take advantage of it and train and get better and just compete,” Clowney said. “I’m gifted and my work ethic is also going to set me apart.”

Clowney is one of a record 102 non-seniors that have declared for the 2014 NFL Draft (players who are three years removed from high school are eligible to make the jump early to the NFL and agree to forfeit any remaining college eligibility). Last year the number of underclassmen entering the draft was 73.

Already drawing comparisons to Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams, the last defensive end to earn the No. 1 overall selection in 2006 when the Houston Texan took him over Reggie Bush, Clowney is considered more “NFL ready” at the same point following three years with the Gamecocks.

Clowney’s in-depth scouting report at CBSSports.com supports the hype surrounding him: “Exceedingly rare combination of size, explosiveness, strength, speed and technique. Times the snap well and possesses true explosiveness out of his stance to cross the face of the left tackle. Exceptional burst off the snap with lateral agility and an array of pass rush moves.

“Simply too quick for trap blocks, consistently flashing into the backfield to beat oncoming blockers (as in the case of the famous Michigan tackle for loss, forced and recovered fumble). Good flexibility to dip around the tackle’s reach, turn the corner sharply and close on the quarterback in a flash.

“Uses his hands well to fight through blockers’ attempts to corral him, demonstrating refined hand placement and impressive strength. Does not rely on his outside speed rush, complementing his burst with an equally effective interior rush due to a terrific swim move and very good lateral agility.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good. Give 'em all a Mike Mamula performance so that teams want to forfeit their draft for our spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some suggest that his lack of effort at times was to reduce the risk of injury, so he doesn't end up like Lattimore.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he got a serious injury trying to dispell all of the critics at the combine.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does that make the Combine a CLOWNey Show? Come on man.... you HAVE to show up wearing oversized cleats and driving one of those little cars. Maybe a unicycle?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He can do all work on the field and that will not address the issues people have with him. The problem appears to be his desire that cannot be measured. It will be an interesting side show

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What the hell is wrong with you guys......you should be pulling for this guy and the other guys to have a great combine to pump up the value.

Don't hate, participate.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sorry Les but I don't see anything I say here affecting who and where he gets drafted

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Yea Clowney, I'm sure a great combine will erase all the concerns about your work ethic.
This push stinks of desperation for high draft pick money, not love of the game. No one doubts his abilities it's the desire that is in question

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
never sidestep an opportunity to make a favorable impression.

Which should've started by finishing plays, and not taking them off in College ball.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
probable the show will be about a ticket going 140 he gets on the way to the combine...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good! If he puts in a big enough show then I'll want him lol. Can you imaging a stunt with Quinn and Clowney?? Oh man... lol

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good! If he puts in a big enough show then I'll want him lol. Can you imaging a stunt with Quinn and Clowney?? Oh man... lol

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully he makes it impossible for the rams to pass on him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully he makes it impossible for the rams to pass on him.

Yes

And if he lights up the NFL then that would tip that trade dramatically in our favor.

Oh the woe of Redskins fans.

The problem with Clowney is he makes plays where you sit back and go wow, it's easy to see why GMs would love him. Then there are periods of the game where he gets taken out of the game and if he didn't have a big #7 on his jersey you'd just think meh. Maybe it's him taking plays off, attempting to not get injured, or maybe that's just who he is. Then there's other times where he looks gassed despite not doing much of anything.

If we were to take a DE at #2 overall he has to be 100% guaranteed to be better than Long for me, he just leaves too many questions for that to be the case.

I pray that another team falls for him and makes us an offer too good to refuse, because I don't trust Snisher not to take him if not.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I will go ahead and predict we are not even thinking about DE with our first pick considering the players we need elsewhere. Especially a largely overrated DE with questions about if he even wants to put in the work and who had a less than impressive season this year that we are told we can attribute to trying to avoid injury... A great show at the combine shouldn't make a difference because it's really not his potential that's the issue here.

tonyl711

Starter
lets see, he didn't think that on the field during the season was the time to "put on a show" but now that its time to get drafted he is ready to "put on a show" to prove his worth???? whats wrong with that picture? football is a team game and regardless of the reason he let his team down last season by not giving 100% with the rest of his teammates last season. it gets bad enough that his HC feels the need to call him out in the press?
the Rams aren't going to take him, they are going to trade with Cleveland, drop to #4, then trade that to Atlanta so they can take him. in the process picking up an extra second and third rounder for this year, and an extra first and second for next year. (my dream scenario)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
lets see, he didn't think that on the field during the season was the time to "put on a show" but now that its time to get drafted he is ready to "put on a show" to prove his worth???? whats wrong with that picture? football is a team game and regardless of the reason he let his team down last season by not giving 100% with the rest of his teammates last season. it gets bad enough that his HC feels the need to call him out in the press?
the Rams aren't going to take him, they are going to trade with Cleveland, drop to #4, then trade that to Atlanta so they can take him. in the process picking up an extra second and third rounder for this year, and an extra first and second for next year. (my dream scenario)
^This

I have the exact same thoughts. I might be willing to take a chance on him if DE was a big need, but right now our team may have the best overall DE depth in the league. It's just something that is not a need at all. If we drafted Clowney, he would be at best a rotational guy right now. When you couple with the chance that his lack of effort could end up making him a bust, I'd rather get someone who can contribute to our team now at the #2 pick. We have options at #2 for people who could contribute right away and help our team long term. So I say pass on Clowney but hope someone falls in love with him and trades up for him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In gym, wearing shorts,,, him Tarzan.

On field, with football players,,, him Jane.