Clowney gets another speeding ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ol' Ball Coach didn't come out "defending" clown until after he ran him through the mud in the media first. He then did his best Damage Control by his lame attempt to "defend" him once he realized that his recruiting efforts were going to be screwed over because he called clown out in front of the cameras.

FTR,,, I'm a Nole Fan. I've hated that freaking visor throwing punk for many many years.

I stand corrected then,, but either way, he runs a circus in Columbia, SC. has been that way for quite some time

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
At least he wasn't driving under the influence, so there's that. So he likes speed, he's young and dumb and has the need for speed. He isn't getting violations for substance abuse or anything. Could be much worse. Not saying we should draft him or anything, just saying it isn't as bad as a lot of people think.

The taking plays off and playing it safe though, that i agree with as being a concern.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think most of us users would agree with that.:D :bigup:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If I got a ticket for every time I sped when I was young, I wouldn't have a license now, thats for sure.

A55VA6

Legend
If we drafted him, Fisher is the perfect guy for Clowney. He'll make sure he stays out of trouble.. and if not, no one can.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I agree with Coach. There's no structure/discipline on that team. The Spurrier way leads to entitlement for a player like Clowney. Soon enough, Clowney will learn it won't wash in the NFL.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Problem is, many don't learn it for a few years. If at all.

I keeping thinking back to the debate about drafting SB or that once in a lifetime DT and that colors my thinking. Even if you do hit the jackpot, what happens? You can't afford to keep him without hamstringing your team.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If we drafted him, Fisher is the perfect guy for Clowney. He'll make sure he stays out of trouble.. and if not, no one can.

Do you really want to take that chance with the (possibly) no. 2 pick?

Maybe you're more of a gambler than I am, but I'd take Matthews (not glamorous but little chance of a bust), or look to trade down (which is probably the most likely outcome).

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Needless to say I am a fan of the talent and potential that Clowney offers. Although I do not think we are in a position to draft best available in the first 2 rounds.
We are in need of talent in other areas and I doubt all of that will be addressed with FA's. As far as the character issues it is always a bit of a gamble. I am more prone to be a little more conservative at the top of the draft when it comes to questions of character. I do however remember a kid named Sapp sliding down the draft board a bit, we even selected Carter ahead of him and several reports had us taking Sapp if available. Well Sapp turned out to be what all originally assessed which is better than the 3 DL's ahead of him and probably warranted the top 3 pick he was valued at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Maybe you're more of a gambler than I am, but I'd take Matthews (not glamorous but little chance of a bust), or look to trade down (which is probably the most likely outcome).

Nothing Fisher has done has told me he plays it safe. Jenkins, Johnson, Quick, Ogletree, Austin. Fisher will take the gamble, which makes me think he has Clowney higher on his board than Mathews. Though i agree a trade down is best.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Needless to say I am a fan of the talent and potential that Clowney offers. Although I do not think we are not in a position to draft best available in the first 2 rounds.
We are in need of talent in other areas and I doubt all of that will be addressed with FA's. As far as the character issues it is always a bit of a gamble. I am more prone to be a little more conservative at the top of the draft when it comes to questions of character. I do however remember a kid named Sapp sliding down the draft board a bit, we even selected Carter ahead of him and several reports had us taking Sapp if available. Well Sapp turned out to be what all originally assessed which is better than the 3 DL's ahead of him and probably warranted the top 3 pick he was valued at.

Sapp slid because he tested positive for marijuana.
No one (repeat no one) was questioning his work ethic or skill. There are multiple instances of both with Clowney.

A55VA6

Legend

I like Clowney but I am a little unsure if i want him at #2. Matthews would be a good pick. Rams have a lot of options!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Nothing Fisher has done has told me he plays it safe. Jenkins, Johnson, Quick, Ogletree, Austin. Fisher will take the gamble, which makes me think he has Clowney higher on his board than Mathews. Though i agree a trade down is best.

I get what you're saying, but none of the players you listed have had a trail of red flags like Clowney.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I like Clowney but I am a little unsure if i want him at #2. Matthews would be a good pick. Rams have a lot of options!

Agreed.
It's a nice position to be in, especially since we didn't earn that no.2 overall (thanks skins).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I get what you're saying, but none of the players you listed have had a trail of red flags like Clowney.

Jenkins got kicked out of Florida and had 3 kids with different mothers, Johnson has had a DUI, Ogletree has had DUI before the draft, Austin was small and not seen as a top wr. Quick was a small school prospect, taking him at the top of round was a risk. Lets not forget he wanted Blackmon as well, and he had a DUI before the draft as well. Maybe Fisher could of controlled him.

I think those are pretty big red flags. Not the same i know, but red flags regardless. They didnt have playing concerns, but flags off the field, and Clowney has more flags on, than off. All i am saying is, if Fisher can keep most our red flag players in shape after drafting them, maybe he can do the same for Clowney, and it shown that he will take risky players.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sapp slid because he tested positive for marijuana.
No one (repeat no one) was questioning his work ethic or skill. There are multiple instances of both with Clowney.
Agreed Speeding and pot smoking are different but both are character issues. I haven't heard the questions about Clowney's skill.
For the record I am not a fan of Clowney to the Rams, I believe we need to spend that pick on a number of other options that do not include the DL.

Last edited by a moderator: