Clowney At Lb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This thought came to me after the hiring of Williams. He is undersized for a DE, 6'6" 254 LBS, but he's a big LB. Actually he's right at the size you want for a LB. He's fast, too. He said his fastest forty was sub 4.5 which is faster than Pettis. If he has some football intelligence and good lateral movement then there's no reason he can't be a stellar LB. I wouldn't put him in man coverage unless it's on the RB but he's a MASSIVE presence in zone coverage. Then you can always bring him on the blitz. It would add SO much to our defense. Actually he's a perfect LB for a 3-4 defense. The dude can shed blocks like a hot knife through butter. Can you imagine a running running back having to meet Clowney in the B-gap?? Oh man! "SIT DOWN, SON!!!" would be my chant afterwards, lol. QB's would wet the bed the night before game day and the Rams defense would have the NFL's full attention. I think it's worth a shot. Let's do it!

RamsFan14

Starter
Uhhh I think Clowney is 280 pounds?!?!... Personally I'm not sure with the weight but idk if I'd put someone as talented as him as a LB in a 4-3 defense

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
VERY INTERESTING! But Wiki has him at 6'6" 274lbs., a touch big for a LB.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uhhh I think Clowney is 280 pounds?!?!... Personally I'm not sure with the weight but idk if I'd put someone as talented as him as a LB in a 4-3 defense
Dude... I saw it on roto. That makes perfect sense.

I can't post links from my phone but if you google "roto Clowney" then you'll see what I saw. I think you're right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney is not a LB at all. 254 pounds is where he was as a freshman. He's up closer to 280 now.

EDIT: To expand a bit on why he's not a LB, he's stiff and doesn't have the lateral agility to place in space. He's a 4-3 DE.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Clowney is not a LB at all. 254 pounds is where he was as a freshman. He's up closer to 280 now.

Perfect. Thanks for clearing that up.

He's still gotta be more athletic then Dunbar and we all like Dunbar.

All we have to do is to teach him to tip the ball in the area of Ogletree and he'll be great, lol.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wonder if the Williams hire and Clowney will get any cross mojenation

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see where many who have stated they would expect the 6-3 272 pound Chris Long moving inside in many of the DL rotations...however CL is better left @ LDE than to move him inside.

When I have watched Jadeveon I saw a lot of skills that would give interior slower OL'ers NIGHTMARES. The OT's would be prepared for this speed strong LDE on this Rams defense but you place him inside like Jason Tuck UT was utilized & we will forget Tuck real fast.

In addition Jadeveon may keep his poundage down for the combine & Pro workouts & I may be alone in this but I see a DL'er who will put on an easy 10 to 15 muscle & pounds plus would be a much better pressure UT than anyone realizes....Jadeveon is not a one trick pony.

A55VA6

Legend
It's interesting but I don't see it. Too big to play the LB spot, probably would struggle big time in coverage. I'd rather keep him where he is and let him have at it if we drafted him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I see where many who have stated they would expect the 6-3 272 pound Chris Long moving inside in many of the DL rotations...however CL is better left @ LDE than to move him inside.

When I have watched Jadeveon I saw a lot of skills that would give interior slower OL'ers NIGHTMARES. The OT's would be prepared for this speed strong LDE on this Rams defense but you place him inside like Jason Tuck UT was utilized & we will forget Tuck real fast.

In addition Jadeveon may keep his poundage down for the combine & Pro workouts & I may be alone in this but I see a DL'er who will put on an easy 10 to 15 muscle & pounds plus would be a much better pressure UT than anyone realizes....Jadeveon is not a one trick pony.

Oh man you have a point there. I watched him against Tennessee and he has some form of a elusive move that had that LT whiffing on the block. I mean the guy barely got 1 arm on him. I can see him making some guards look foolish on some stunt moves with Long/Quinn.