Closer look at draft position...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is my detailed approach at breaking down our draft position for 2014. I think I've covered all the bases as outlined below. I start with the simplest ones and end with the most complex, but it all boils down nicely to no worse than #3 overall, most likely #2, with an outside shot at #1.

If the Skins lose we draft #2, unless Houston beats Tenn, then we draft #1.

If the Skins win we can either end up at #2 or #3. If the Jags win also, then we get #2 anyway. But if the Jags lose, then it gets a bit tricky. And I used a spreadsheet to break it all down as follows...

After running through all the possibilities, and understanding that the only team that can take the #2 overall spot from us is the Jags, I have found that only 4 games can impact our draft position.

The spreadsheet below shows a likely worse case scenario with the Jags getting #2 and us getting #3 because of the SOS. That is, the Jags have SOS opponents wins of 129, the Skins have 130. This would result if the week 17 games turned out as I listed them. As stated, only 4 games matter. Those are Bill-Pats, Browns-Steelers, Cards-Niners, and Falcons-Panthers. And I don't think there is much chance for the Pats and Panthers to lose, so what we need is for the Browns and Cards to win.

In summary, if the Skins win and the Jags win, then we get #2. If the Skins win and the Jags lose, then we need both the Browns and Cards to win to lock up #2 overall. If only one of them wins, then we flip a coin with the Jags. If they both lose, then we get #3.

prw9.png

V3

Hall of Fame
1.) Go Houston!!!!

if not...

2.) Go Jags!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Excellent work with the tables once again, Maximus.

Alan

Legend
I can't read any of that but I'm sure it was a great job max. All I know for sure is that the Texans have to win.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I can't read any of that but I'm sure it was a great job max. All I know for sure is that the Texans have to win.

If you have a PC, press CTRL + + (CTRL and + at the same time). CTRL + - (zooms out). Amazing, right? :D :bigup:

That's exactly the results I came up with doing the results independently. Basically the Bills and Browns need a better combined week 17 record than the 49ers and Falcons, which is what you said.

Using a formula created by profootballreference.com I put the probability of each pick at:
1 19%
2 67%
3 14%

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have faith in the ability of the Skins to shizzle the bed.....again.

Alan

Legend
RamsOfCastamere with a helpful tip:
If you have a PC, press CTRL + + (CTRL and + at the same time). CTRL + - (zooms out). Amazing, right? :D :bigup:

Thanks bud! Works great and it's easy to do. :woot:

It doesn't help much in this instance because of all the lines but it helps me to read all the other posts.

Never too old to learn. Hard to believe there was room for improvement but even those those two floppies look better.:lol:

Thanks again!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's all you need to know...

Realistically, all 5 of these things have to happen for the Rams to lose the #2 spot...
Wash must win
Jags must lose
Niners must beat Cards
Steelers must beat Browns
Titans must beat Texans

This assumes Panthers beat Falcons, and Pats beat Bills, which is much expected.

Anyway, those 5 games above are highly unlikely to all go against us.

My view is that the Cards will beat the Niners in AZ next week, I think the Cards are playing better than the Niners right now and the Niners are coming off MNF. And if Cards win and finish 11-5 it would be a travesty that they don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamzFanz

Damnit
....and the ONLY teams that can possibly get the number one spot are Texans or Rams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Here's all you need to know...

Realistically, all 5 of these things have to happen for the Rans to lose the #2 spot...
Wash must win
Jags must lose
Niners must beat Cards
Steelers must beat Browns
Titans must beat Texans

This assumes Panthers beat Falcons, and Pats beat Bills, which is much expected.

Anyway, those 5 games above are highly unlikely to all go against us.

My view is that the Cards will beat the Niners in AZ next week, I think the Cards are playing better than the Niners right now and the Niners are coming off MNF. And if Cards win and finish 11-5 it would be a travesty that they don't make the playoffs.
Max - I know you put a lot of effort into that spreadsheet and I fully accept your findings. However, if WAS wins I don't see the next 4 requirements as being all that unlikely.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My hat is off to ya max you do work I'm too lazy to read

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Max - I know you put a lot of effort into that spreadsheet and I fully accept your findings. However, if WAS wins I don't see the next 4 requirements as being all that unlikely.

Any one of them is quite likely, but when you put them all together in a parlay, you'd be surprised at how unlikely it is.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So wonder what Fisher will say about picking second overall after all her said it would never happen again lmao

jap

Legend
So wonder what Fisher will say about picking second overall after all her said it would never happen again lmao

He will say, "I was talking about our original pick, naturally. You can't hold me responsible for Danny Boy's stupidity, can you?" :nau:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Any one of them is quite likely, but when you put them all together in a parlay, you'd be surprised at how unlikely it is.
Oh, I get that the statistical probability is very low; I've lost a few parlays in my time. :wink:
But looking at each of those matchups I think the ONE that is most favorable for our needs is for WAS to lose. All of the others, at least at face value, appear to be leaning the other direction.