Close up look at the Steelers game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's not bashing if it is an observation. Calling him lazy or a lazy f___ might be over the line but saying he looked slow or wasn't running sharp routes is fine. And you would be far from the first to assert that Cook is not looking good on a great many plays.

I have to wonder if his ability to get open is worth it on a lot of plays. Harkey for example might not be that guy open 25 yards down field but he seems to be pretty effective in play action on his releases and he also is an excellent blocker. I would think if we want to go run heavy, he should be a bigger part of the picture. And who here would want to tackle that MoFo?
That is my solution as well. Unleash the Cracken!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh the irony.

While i agree with the sentiment i find it quite humorous how you give foles a pass but go for the kill at a certain other qb who is also in a new system and their offense has had a huge change in personnel this season. Even more so than the Rams.

Not sure where that came from tbh. Do you mean Sam? If so, I had several seasons of being let down by him to cement my take that he's not the guy to lead this team back to where it should be.

I've had 3 games with Foles and the first one was pretty good. And I don't think I gave him a pass, far from it but either way appreciate the effort to keep me honest brother.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah.

Hey, guess what? The draft is mostly a crap-shoot based on the potential you think a player has in the system you're employing.

That aside, there are no "GM drafting and personnel moves 101 for introductory dumbasses" classes they could have taken.
I love the draft and I am a dumbass.....maybe I will hit the local JC up to let me teach this class in the Spring.
Lesson one, why Trent Dilfer was a "can't miss"....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure where that came from tbh. Do you mean Sam? If so, I had several seasons of being let down by him to cement my take that he's not the guy to lead this team back to where it should be.

I've had 3 games with Foles and the first one was pretty good. And I don't think I gave him a pass, far from it but either way appreciate the effort to keep me honest brother.

I'm sorry, i didn't word my reply correctly. It was more the tone of your post. And again i agree 100% with what you said in that post.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
It's not bashing if it is an observation. Calling him lazy or a lazy f___ might be over the line but saying he looked slow or wasn't running sharp routes is fine. And you would be far from the first to assert that Cook is not looking good on a great many plays.

I have to wonder if his ability to get open is worth it on a lot of plays. Harkey for example might not be that guy open 25 yards down field but he seems to be pretty effective in play action on his releases and he also is an excellent blocker. I would think if we want to go run heavy, he should be a bigger part of the picture. And who here would want to tackle that MoFo?

Harkey has made big plays in the catch and run the last couple of seasons. And he can block. I'd bench Mr Fizzle (Cook) and let Harks have at it.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Sidebar:
I have seen two blatantly obvious false starts NOT called against us so far this season.
The RT late in the game vs Seattle and the LT vs Pittsburgh.
I'm talking when the lineman takes two steps back before the ball is snapped. It's oblivious as to how these didn't draw a flag.

On topic: I've defended Cook but i'm done doing that. Tough day for our TE's all around, I would be curious to see how Cook would respond to having his snap count reduced by half. I wouldn't bench him for a full game because that would be overkill, but have him sit and watch more often from the sideline. Give Harkey the extra PT.
How would he respond? Whine and cry? Smile and joke around with Hekker and drink Gatorade? Step up his game?

Didn't he get his panties in a dither on the sidelines with Austin Davis over a play last year?
Yup, he'd pout if his PT gets cut back noticeably, and cry if he was benched. He prolly got "participation trophies" when he was a kid.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not really, no. He is what he is, and I think we all knew what we were getting into once it was announced he was hired. My hope was that Les Snead would have been the ying to his yang. Snead was a HUGE fan of Julio Jones, so I figured he would have been just as eager to get someone of that caliber for the Rams.

Is what it is. They're trying to be the smartest guys in the room by taking "under the radar" guys, but it's just not working out apparently. Maybe if they had a top 5 QB, some of these things would have worked in their favor. But again, it is what it is.

Doesn't help that they used what was almost a first round pick on a project called Brian Quick when a guy like Alshon Jeffery was available. Jeffery was considered more polished. Of course, as raw as Quick was I'm sure quite a few were more polished.

I'm still not convinced Quick is all that. That little spurt he had was not a very big sample size. 7 games in 3 seasons he showed promised. Now this year he's a healthy scratch each game because he's not football ready.

Not sure what that translates into. I hope its not the kind of 'not football ready' cuz he ain't sharp enough to re-learn the offense due to he was out so long. I had questions about his ability to learn the NFL game before he started showing signs of breaking through last year. Now those questions are creeping back.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I really think Cook should be benched for Harkey. At least Harkey would try.

Tavon quitting on routes is beyond a mind numbing. If the offense learned one thing from the D, it should be effort. It should never be seen. This offense is either full of itself or very frustrated.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh the irony.

While i agree with the sentiment i find it quite humorous how you give foles a pass but go for the kill at a certain other qb who is also in a new system and their offense has had a huge change in personnel this season. Even more so than the Rams.

Bradford is in a new system that is "QB friendly" and is putting even more anemic production than he did in STL.

5.8 YPA? And on pace for 16 TD passes?

Bradford has the lowest completion %, the lowest YPA, the lowest TD%, the highest INT%, and lowest production of the QB's that have played in Kelly's system.

Foles and Bradford both had to learn new systems and have a totally new team.

Bradford playing for the Rams was one of the biggest problems the team had.

FRO

Legend
I'm for giving Harkey snaps over Cook. Maybe having the better blocking TE is more beneficial than an inconsistent receiving TE who doesn't block well. I'm done with Cook and Kendricks. We need to upgrade the TE position and WR position in the offseason.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
My hope was that Les Snead would have been the YIN to his yang
Tis rare that one can correct the great Dude, but FIFY.

They're trying to be the smartest guys in the room by taking "under the radar" guys, but it's just not working out apparently.
That right there is what is starting to get to me. The "cuteness" of Snisher *Faceplant hopes that doesn't get him in trouble*. I just get a bit tired of this FO acting like they are one step ahead of us stoopid bystanders. Hopefully they ARE and what we have seen the past few years have been a rope a dope for Rams fans AND the rest of the NFL!!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Unleash the Cracken!

giphy.gif

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
That's Medussa. This is Kraken..

(That little spec is a sinking ship)

Edit: This thing has avi potential..he already has horns! He just needs to Ram it up a bit.

kraken-copy10.jpg

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
That's Medussa. This is Kraken..

(That little spec is a sinking ship)

Edit: This thing has avi potential..he already has horns! He just needs to Ram it up a bit.

kraken-copy10.jpg

Right, but in the Movie didn't he use the Medusa's head to defeat the Kraken? ;)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I just watched my tape of the game and the Rams were so close to so many drive sustaining first downs . One yard here or there , or a route or two a yard or so deeper . 4th and 1 or 2 or 3 several times. So close , but close doesn't do it. One thing I did notice was a certain tight end and his lack of hustle . I don't want to get banned again for bashing players but he was hard to watch. Couldn't or wouldn't hold a block and dropped an easy pass and his false start on the goal line was pitiful .
I see what some guys on the board are talking about now. Just plain sad
The main question for me, and my pet peeve....why design a play that will only go 2 yards, when you need 3, or 4? I hate lateral football, which is why I didn't like, Shurmer as an OC. I like vertical football. Two yard comeback routes???? What's the frickin point??? Even if it is not for a first down. But...when it is for a first down???? Wow, I don't get it. I will never get it. a 3rd and three completion for one yard, means the same, or less, as a third and one completion attempt for 40 or 50 yards.

The difference...a potential opportunity for a first down, and scoring, at least getting closer to it, or a slim chance, for even, a first down, barely.

Vertical, not horizontal.
I can't deal with that kind of offense again. I can't. Go for it, Rams. I'm with you, if you do...all the way.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
It is annoying alright. Another thing that blows my mind is killing the clock at end of the 1st half.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm for Harkey over Cook and starting both Quick (if he's indeed healthy) and Gurley. It's time to get the playmakers on the field. If they aren't "football ready" give them a rest in game. If we are going to pursue this ancient Eddie George offense then let's get the damn thing off the ground. The best blocking TE, the best RB, the best blocking WR.

As for the Snisher player debate, I think they've done pretty well in the 1st round and the later second day rounds. 3rd round ok. 2nd round terrible. Much better players, clearly more ready players available for a team in need of immediate help every year. To many reaches, too much smartest guy here syndrome. I have not agreed with the second round picks. There are some in the other rounds I haven't liked, but I can see why they did or why they felt they could go that way and it's worked out for them for the most part. I can't fault those. But the 2nds I think there were players that were obviously better.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The main question for me, and my pet peeve....why design a play that will only go 2 yards, when you need 3, or 4?
Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but it was pretty clear the Rams wanted to move more towards this design of west coast offense over the offseason. But the jury is still out on exactly how much of this philosophy Cignetti believes in, and his (and Foles) talent in timing when to make the call to go vertical, so we can hope.
a 3rd and three completion for one yard, means the same, or less, as a third and one completion attempt for 40 or 50 yards
I agree with your point, and the comedy is the NFL passer rating system has always rewarded the completion more than the result -- a QB that goes 3-for-3 for 9 yards then punts has a higher passer rating than a QB that throws 2 incompletions and then a 39 yard completion for a first down.