Clinton-Dix

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Dix and Vacarro are similar. Vacarro was overvalued at 16? Was it? Both have range and great closing speed. That closing speed can make up for mistakes. I like Ha Ha but like the rest of you not at 13. Over the years there have been very few Safeties worthy of that high of a pick.

I was one of the few that actually liked Vacarro. I didn't think he was overvalued. I also don't think Dix has great closing speed. I don't get why people keep saying this. His combine numbers say he's not that fast and more importantly, the game tape shows him routinely arriving to the play late. I even went back and watched his junior games since he played more FS then and more SS this year. I could be wrong. He might be great but based on what I've seen I wouldn't take him in the first round.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad im not alone with my opinion. Getting tired of seeing 75% of mocks done by websites and analysts mocking him to us. Really hope Snisher doesnt pick him up, especially at #13.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
In my youth, I never would of followed any of my friends if they jumped off a bridge. If we take Dix at 13, I might consider it....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I hope that either A.Donald or Dennard are there at #13. There are some good safeties available later.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I absolutely want them to take him. Sure he's not the biggest hitting safety.

But this is Williams' defense now. Williams is going to have both safeties playing deep, playing smart zone and run support. We don't want exciting at safety now, that's for the front seven and the corners playing much tighter. We need smart.

What else is not to like about the guy? He's got great closing speed, he's wicked side to side, and he makes the tackle, not the hit. He's not glamorous, but he just might be the guy.

Truth is that I'm not so sure about McDonald in the new defense. Either someone else gets more time or he gets exposed badly.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
The other option that most people seem to mention for the Rams at 13 is Dennard and I like him even less. He's slow, grabs/holds/interferes on most plays, isn't very impressive at tackling or against the run, and had the help of one of the best defensive backfields in college football making him look better than I believe him to be.

Ummmm Dennard is a physical corner? Generally that means he makes contact with WR's, TE's, or RB's he's covering. He might of been part of a good backfield but he was the prized jewel out of the backfield. He can play man and zone and his highly motivated and a good kid. Hands down he'd be a great pickup at #13 for what he has to offer.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Y'all are confusing the hell out of me. From what I gather now from reading what everybody has to say about DBs in this draft is none are worthy of being drafted in about the top 100. Damn, we sure need a couple of stout ones in this draft. What the hell are we supposed to do?

crazyhorns

Rookie
I don't want him, or any of the other safeties, at 13. Rather have a CB or BPA. Fisher has made it clear on numerous occasions that he doesn't value safeties as high as other positions, I think they'll wait until later.

I've heard this on many occasions. How has Fisher made it clear he does not value the safety position as he does other? He selected Michael Griffin FS in 2007 in the 1st round. I think this is evidence that he does value the position if the right player is there.

V3

Hall of Fame
Ummmm Dennard is a physical corner? Generally that means he makes contact with WR's, TE's, or RB's he's covering. He might of been part of a good backfield but he was the prized jewel out of the backfield. He can play man and zone and his highly motivated and a good kid. Hands down he'd be a great pickup at #13 for what he has to offer.

Watch him play and specifically watch his hands. He's grabbing, holding, or interfering on most plays- all after 5 yards. I can appreciate a physical DB but I don't want one that can't control himself. The Rams get flagged enough as it is. I'll need to see specific examples of him playing well in zone because I'm seeing the opposite when I notice them in zone coverage. And for someone that's supposed to be really physical, you'd expect a better tackler. He's mediocre at best. Just watch this. There are missed tackles throughout:

And here's some video of him in coverage. Watch his hands throughout, watch how he continues to touch/hold after 5 yards, and also how he doesn't play the ball well when it's in the air:

I just noticed all the YouTube comments on him. They're pretty much all saying the same thing. Very grabby.

I'm just not seeing it with him. I wouldn't touch him in the first round. Perhaps good coaching could iron out those issues? To me, that's an awful lot of fixing for the 13th pick. The Rams have enough problems with flags. I don't want anymore. He and JJ could be sponsored by Tide with all the laundry they'd see.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Y'all are confusing the hell out of me. From what I gather now from reading what everybody has to say about DBs in this draft is none are worthy of being drafted in about the top 100. Damn, we sure need a couple of stout ones in this draft. What the hell are we supposed to do?

This isn't the best draft for DB's, IMO. If you want a FS suggestion, I like Brooks a lot. If you're dead set on a CB, I'm fine with Gilbert. I can see flaws with Gilbert but I think he's better than Dennard. After the 2nd round or so, I haven't watched too many DBs because I'm just too busy and this is probably the least excited I've been for a draft in years.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Watch him play and specifically watch his hands. He's grabbing, holding, or interfering on most plays- all after 5 yards. I can appreciate a physical DB but I don't want one that can't control himself. The Rams get flagged enough as it is. I'll need to see specific examples of him playing well in zone because I'm seeing the opposite when I notice them in zone coverage. And for someone that's supposed to be really physical, you'd expect a better tackler. He's mediocre at best. Just watch this. There are missed tackles throughout:

And here's some video of him in coverage. Watch his hands throughout, watch how he continues to touch/hold after 5 yards, and also how he doesn't play the ball well when it's in the air:

I just noticed all the YouTube comments on him. They're pretty much all saying the same thing. Very grabby.

I'm just not seeing it with him. I wouldn't touch him in the first round. Perhaps good coaching could iron out those issues? To me, that's an awful lot of fixing for the 13th pick. The Rams have enough problems with flags. I don't want anymore. He and JJ could be sponsored by Tide with all the laundry they'd see.

Pretty good videos to prove my points.

1. He is excellent in run support. As you see multiple times he consistently see's the play and effectively stops any big play.
2. Holding Contain. Look at how he holds contain on plays multiple times. He didn't let any positive plays happen as the outside most defender.
3. Good Ball instincts .Interception in Minn. game and nearly 2 others.
4. Only seen one real play where he got burned with a crossing pattern in the MINN. game in which he made up for by hunting the WR down and helping tackle him.
5. In the coverage video he is very grabby and I agree I'm sure he'll get penalized multiple times for being physical. I'd rather have a physical CB that contests for the ball getting INT's, making it tough for the WR/QB, and won't back down compared to Janoris giving up homeruns or huge plays on more than average basis. Deion Sanders would make contact as well as many other great CB's. He's not a top 5 pick, he does need a little touching up to do.

You don't like The No Fly Zone that's ok. He'll be wrecking in the NFL somewhere and I hope that's in The Horns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Big Ten officials rarely call holding. Offensive lines get away with murder in that conference, so do DBs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No on Dix or Pryor. I don't see anything special with either one of them. I want Deone Bucannon in the second.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No on Dix or Pryor. I don't see anything special with either one of them. I want Deone Bucannon in the second.
Can he play FS or is he strictly a SS type? And will it matter in GW's scheme?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Can he play FS or is he strictly a SS type? And will it matter in GW's scheme?

Bucannon can play either position. Big safety (6'0", 215), great in coverage, great ball-skills. Only problem is that his tackling technique needs serious work, but Chuck Cecil could fix that easily.

And I don't think it'll matter at all in Williams' scheme.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Agree 100% I've been in Bucannon's camp all along. Check out Jimmie Ward too: Natural FS with great range and instincts + will probably be there in the 3rd.

At 13, take Donald, Dennard, Ebron... all before Dix

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
you do know that the officiating crews are rotated right?

For Bowl games they do but Big Ten officials are Big Ten officials employed by the conference. I watch a lot of Big Ten football and I see the same referees doing Big Ten regular season games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
you do know that the officiating crews are rotated right?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...do-away-with-conferences-having-own-officials

http://www.freep.com/article/20131204/COL08/312040040/drew-sharp-michigan-state-ohio-state

The Big Ten doesn't oversee and pay its own officiating crews to officiate SEC games. A ref from the Pac 12 that lives in Seattle doesn't fly to ref Florida/Florida State. Their conference wouldn't want to pay for that. They do some sort of rotation on Out of conference games, but I believe it just depends on which conference field the game is played on. SEC refs don't referee Ohio State/Penn State......but I wish they did.