Cleveland Browns OT Joe Thomas on his way to Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't stand hack writers with misleading headlines (even though it seems I just did the same thing. lol).
I almost fell for this one too.

The thread title is the headline of the article I began to read. Here's the link.
http://www.hngn.com/articles/213669...joe-thomas-on-his-way-to-los-angeles-rams.htm

It references, of all sources, Rams Wire. So I followed that link, and the headline is this:
Could Los Angeles Rams trade for Cleveland Browns' lineman Joe Thomas?

The sourced article (Rams Wire) goes on to say:

According to Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk, Cleveland is seeking a second-round pick for the nine-time NFL Pro Bowler. Thomas almost landed with Denver last season. In the same report, we learned that many teams (including the Giants, Cardinals, Seahawks and Vikings) would like to make the trade.

The Patriots have interest as well for the right value. Why not Los Angeles?

Garbage. Pure, unadulterated, garbage. I'd be interested in discussing the idea of the Rams trading for Thomas. His pro-rated cap hit, his salary, the feasibility of trading our only 2nd rounder, etc., but I'm not really appreciative of being duped into believing that it's already in the works. To that end, it's why I sucked you in to share my pain.

You're welcome.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
joker.gif

JerseyRam1

Rookie
They need to do something to solidify the OL. I just dont see it with little left over the next two years via the draft. If they do make this type of deal, Snisher is really on the hot seat.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
For the sake of argument - lets play this out.

A. Who do you cut from the current OL group to make room for him?
B. We are already without a day 1 pick next year - are we really able to part with a day 2 pick as well?
C. Salary cap wise - we are already going to be up against it trying to sign Tru, Tree, and other long term pieces.
D. Are we really buyers right now? Are we a LT away from a title run? I tend to think not.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

B. We are already without a day 1 pick next year - are we really able to part with a day 2 pick as well?
C. Salary cap wise - we are already going to be up against it trying to sign Tru, Tree, and other long term pieces.
D. Are we really buyers right now? Are we a LT away from a title run? I tend to think not.

I think that's a good analysis of the situation.

I'm not convinced that we need a new LT, or any new OLinemen at this point. With regards to GRob, nobody doubts his athletic ability, and it's hard to doubt his desire when he takes time in the offseason to go to the camp run by LeCharles Bentley. But his regression is happening in a year when the other four starters are doing the same, and thus it's hard for me to single him out. Further, when all 5 starters are playing worse than the previous year, you have to start questioning coaching and scheme. Furthermore, before this year, nobody doubted GRob's run blocking ability - that was a given. Now his has declined ... but the same can be said for 4 other guys.

Trading for a new LT isn't going to fix the problem of a scheme that's a bad fit for the guys we have. Nor will it fix just plain old bad coaching.

fearsomefour

Legend
The only two that could offer any savings are Grab (I prefer this to Grob given his holding penalties) and Saffold. But I don't think either affords the team Thomas.
This is the kind of move best made in the offseason. Everything can be evaluated and reset before making a change or taking on a huge contract.
The information about Grab working with Bently....was it real work or was it on par with Kap working with Warner?

lockdnram21

Legend

As of right now I wouldn't resign Tru he gets injured every year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As of right now I wouldn't resign Tru he gets injured every year.
Well, not every year. He did play 16 games his first two years here. And he's not injured this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
:rolleyes::blah:

Not interested in another old broken down lineman

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Joe Thomas would be a huge upgrade at the most Important position on the line . If the Browns are willing to trade him for saffold and a late pick, do it ! Move robinson to gaurd and start Goff! Give me something to look forward to after the bye!!!

lockdnram21

Legend
Joe Thomas would be a huge upgrade at the most Important position on the line . If the Browns are willing to trade him for saffold and a late pick, do it ! Move robinson to gaurd and start Goff! Give me something to look forward to after the bye!!!
Fisher said Robinson is a better tackle then guard

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep, you're right. I don't even know why I said that. lol. Brain fart.
Wishful Thinking!! I hope Tru has recovered, and is back at full strength for the Panthers game!!(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like your idea, except I would rather Trade Wichman and Keep Saffold!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No thanks. Rams have already gone down that vet FA OL road. Long, Joseph, Dahl.......that guy from GB whose name I thankfully have forgotten..............