Clemons SHOULD BE our #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I don't know bout you guys but by watching the action tonight I think without a doubt Kellen should be the #2 QB. Im not saying his Kurt Warner by any means but I thik he gives us a better chance to win than Austin Davis.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Based on THIS game, I'd agree. But let's see what happens in the next three.
Clemens was running with the 3's and 4's. Davis was going up against the 2's.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Clemens had his WRs drop some balls... but I still feel like he should have performed better against the 3rd and 4th stringers he was facing.

Maybe no audibles were being called in game 1 of preseason. Seemed super basic.

A55VA6

Legend
Meh.. I want to see more games. I'd still stick with Davis at the moment even if Clemens had a better game. Clemens just makes me nervous.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Based on this game alone i agree with you,and believe me,i'm pulling for Davis.
I'm going to rewatch the gm more closely tomorrow,but it looked to me that Clemons had some very poor protection. Especially from his blindside.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm not excited about either if they are going against #1's. I pray Bradford NEVER gets hurt again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
What???? Didn't you listen to Kozar? Clemens cannot play QB!!!!!!!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The Rams need to get a vet backup QB. Neither Clemens nor Davis is good enough. And we can't evaluate the WRs well enough after Sam is out of the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Austin lights it up against Green Bay at home next week, then what?

fearsomefour

Legend
I am pulling for Davis just because he is younger with more upside, based on being more athletic and younger. However, to this point he has shown nothing but an ability to step away from a pass rush. If you want a solid backup QB who can start some games for you (think Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna type) then you will have to pay them some money. If their are other priorities and you are going to pay the vet minimum this is what you have. If you do manage to find a gem in the draft and spend a couple of years developing that guy when his rookie deal is over he will be moving on. Supply and demand. Is there really much of a difference between Clemons, Davis or a vet that is out there now like a Leinart? No. So it goes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
fearsomefour said:
I am pulling for Davis just because he is younger with more upside, based on being more athletic and younger. However, to this point he has shown nothing but an ability to step away from a pass rush. If you want a solid backup QB who can start some games for you (think Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna type) then you will have to pay them some money. If their are other priorities and you are going to pay the vet minimum this is what you have. If you do manage to find a gem in the draft and spend a couple of years developing that guy when his rookie deal is over he will be moving on. Supply and demand. Is there really much of a difference between Clemons, Davis or a vet that is out there now like a Leinart? No. So it goes.

Yeah I want Austin Davis to win it but last night he just looked weird throwing the ball. Lot of ducks and wobbly passes.

Then again, the 2nd string OL was horrible.

fearsomefour

Legend
Havent seen the game yet, NFL Network is showing it Saturday at 4am local time. Will check it out then. Davis, in the limited bit I have seen him, reminded me of former LA Ram TJ Rubley. A guy who can be exciting and make some plays but didnt really have the arm strength ect. to be a pocket passer. But, the next couple of games will sort this out.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Based on this game on what I've seen in practice I think it is obvious that Davis should be our No.3.

And it is obvious our N0.2 isn't on the roster.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The biggest concern I have about Davis at this point, is he just doesn't seem to see the field, and holds on to the ball way too long. Then, his "instinct" is to just pull it down and try to run. He does this is training camp way more than he should, including on some of the 7 on 7 drills.

Clemens tends to hold the ball as well, but when he "runs" it is usually to keep the play alive and more than not, finds a place to throw the ball. Case in point, the TD to Radway. He also realizes when he needs to just stand in there (dropped pass by Radway) based on the game situation.

I think Austin Davis also is showing signs of having accuracy issues. Not sure if this is a by product of not being comfortable in his reads yet, or if he truly is just not throwing the ball well, enough. There were throws last night that were indicative of this.

I realize its ONE PRESEASON GAME, but I'm not ready to hand the #2 job over to Davis yet. Not from what I have seen everyday in camp, and especially after seeing last night's performance.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO urging patience:
I realize its ONE PRESEASON GAME, but I'm not ready to hand the #2 job over to Davis yet. Not from what I have seen everyday in camp, and especially after seeing last night's performance.

Sounds good until you consider the alternative.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO urging patience:

Sounds good until you consider the alternative.

Agreed....Davis is still learning, he's had almost no experience as a professional whereas Clemens is well......just Clemens. Every time he's put under pressure, I look for an int and am rarely disappointed. I'm no expert on QB's, but I believe Davis has a lot of upside and escapability while Clemens is well.......finished.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Davis played awful. I sure hope that he plays better, or we get better by picking someone else up.