Clements: Barrett Jones 'excited' to play for Rams, Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Ron Clements
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20130501/SPORTS0401/305010039/Alabama-star-NFL-Barrett-Jones-excited-play-Rams-Fisher?nclick_check=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/art ... ck_check=1</a>

F2kNLje.jpg

ST. LOUIS — Barrett Jones grew up in Memphis, Tenn., as a fan of the Tennessee Titans, who were coached at that time by Jeff Fisher.

Now an NFL rookie, Jones will get to play for Fisher, now coach of the St. Louis Rams, who selected Jones in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

“It’s an amazing day,” Jones said Saturday after being picked. “I’m so excited. I’m just glad it’s all over. I’m glad I ended up a St. Louis Ram.”

The former Alabama center who won the Outland and Rimington awards last year enters a situation in St. Louis where he could play right away.

Starting center Scott Wells, a free-agent signing from Green Bay last year, missed much of 2012 with a knee injury and required another knee operation in January. Robert Turner, who filled in for Wells, left via free agency for Tennessee. The only other center on the Rams roster is Tim Barnes, an undrafted player from Missouri enter his third NFL season primarily as a practice squad player.

Jones has played every offensive line position in college, and his versatility is something the Rams covet. St. Louis needs depth at guard, and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Jones could start at guard as a rookie.

“He’ll come in and compete inside,” Fisher said. “What he does almost immediately is he gives you the comfort level knowing you’ve got a guy, if not a starter, that can back up multiple positions and go in when something happens.”

St. Louis offensive line coach Paul Boudreau initially talked with Jones at Alabama’s Pro Day in Tuscaloosa in March. Boudreau was one of three people from the Rams to speak with Jones on Saturday, including Fisher and general manager Les Snead.

“I’ve heard great things about Coach Boudreau, and I’m really excited to work with him,” Jones said. “I’ve been able to play with some coaches who are kind of hard-nosed like that, so that’s definitely who I am, and I’m looking forward to doing that.”

Jones, who did not do the on-field workouts at the NFL Combine or pro days because of a foot injury, said his recovery is going well.

“I’m feeling good, and I should be back pretty soon,” said Jones, who could begin Rams training camp in July on the physically unable to perform list.

“We’ll probably hold him back,” Fisher said. “We’ll continue with his rehab. But he’s a smart guy, and he’s been doing fine. He may be 80 percent at (organized team activities) and things like that, but mentally and everything else considered, he’ll be fine by the time camp starts.”

A smart, technically sound, disciplined player, Jones is lauded as a natural leader and was chosen to be a team captain for the Crimson Tide.

“What Barrett has been able to accomplish down there is pretty impressive, considering the fact that he’s played numerous positions and won numerous awards, and held that offensive line together and won the national championship,” Fisher said. “Those kind of guys find ways to play in this league a long time. That’s what our hope is for Barrett.”

Such high praise is part of the reason Jones expected to hear his name called earlier. He was thought by some to be the top center in the draft, but the Dallas Cowboys took Wisconsin’s Travis Frederick in Thursday’s first round, and California’s Brian Schwenke was selected by Tennessee six spots ahead of Jones in the fourth round.

“I did expect to go at some point in the third round, but I didn’t, and that’s all right,” Jones said. “I think a lot of people get hung up on where they get drafted. I’m just glad I have an opportunity to play in the NFL. I’m looking to make the most of that opportunity.”

The next step for Jones is to learn the Rams’ playbook and get acclimated with his new offensive line mates — and, of course, quarterback Sam Bradford.

After a 2-14 season in 2011, the Rams improved to a 7-8-1 mark last season. Jones said he’s excited about being part of a group to return the Rams to the playoffs. Their last playoff season was 2004.

“Winning is important to me, no doubt,” Jones said. “But ... from talking to Coach Fisher and talking to a lot of the coaches, I think winning is something that’s very important to this franchise, and I think they are definitely headed in the right direction. I’m excited to help them get there.

“When I first came to Alabama, we were 7-6 the year before I got there. Not that I somehow turned it around, but me and a lot of other guys helped to turn (Alabama) around, and turn it into what it is now. We’re hoping to do the same thing at the St. Louis Rams.”

A55VA6

Legend
Re: Clements: Barrett Jones 'excited' to play for Rams, Fis

Good interview. Seems like a good guy. Excited to see him play! I think he'll be a starter.

Slappy967

Starter

This offensive line is shaping up nicely and I hope they dominate the line of scrimmage. The running game will be explosive with these big beefy bastards opening lanes for them!

lasvegasrams

Rookie

i remember barrett getting praise throughout the year for his knowledge of the playbook and i loved how he went off on the wussy bama qb, even though they were up BIG late in the game

Psycho_X

Legend

Think he's one of my favorite picks as far as value. Not sure he'll get a chance to start to begin the season because of recovery time but I have no doubt he'll be a starting guard if not our center by 2014.