Clemens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Precisely. Which is why Clemens put more weight on his back foot prior to the transfer. Watch his hips. They drive through the throw, this wasn't a guy throwing off his back foot. This was a guy leaning to get more on the throw.
Yeah, I'm not gonna belabor this point much longer. I think you're wrong, despite any throws you bring up of other QBs. You said he was using his back foot to generate the power (his body) to throw, and that's just false.

Either way, I'm getting exhausted of micro-analyses of QBs from people (myself included) who know dick compared to NFL coaches.

Onward and upward.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said he was using his back foot to generate the power (his body) to throw, and that's just false.

No, it's not. You lean more on your back foot to put more body into the throw. It's common for QBs with weaker arms.

And I'm fine with moving on. Didn't intend to start a micro-analysis of Clemens when I originally posted. Just had to get the last word. :wink:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, it's not. You lean more on your back foot to put more body into the throw. It's common for QBs with weaker arms.

And I'm fine with moving on. Didn't intend to start a micro-analysis of Clemens when I originally posted. Just had to get the last word. :wink:
Well, you can't have it.

Take a football outside and throw as you're learning back (off your back foot).
Take another and throw as you shift your weight to the front.
Take a third and write "oh shit. I was wrong" on it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you can't have it.

Take a third and write "oh shyte. I was wrong" on it.

I'm gonna go after it like Quinn goes after QB's. :wink:

He didn't throw while he was leaning back. He leaned back prior to throwing to put more body into it. It's the same thing Clausen did in the video. Do the same thing you recommended except lean back with as much as weight as possible on your back foot and then drive all that weight and your hips through your throw. You get more body into the throw. The issue is that you risk overthrowing.

Watch the play again if you'd like and watch Clemens's hips. He drives his hips through that throw. This wasn't case of a guy throwing off his back foot and not being able to put his body into it.

QBs with weaker arms typically put more weight on the back foot when winding up for the deep ball than QBs with stronger arms.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still wrong. :wink:

3s2dyf.jpg

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Well, you can't have it.

Take a third and write "oh shyte. I was wrong" on it.
:slap:

What happened to the popcorn icon?

goldenram

UDFA
He's out there because our starter is on crutches and Austin Davis isn't even *as good* as Clemens right now. Despite everyone else's morbid curiosity, there's nothing to indicate that Davis has anything more than a conceptual grasp of what to do out there right now.

And how do you know this for a fact? We have only seen Davis this preseason with 2nd and 3rd teamers and he still out performed Clemens. We all know from Clemens years of Veteran Back up experience, that He is prone to screw up at the wrong time and blow it... Look at how some of the teams around the league are performing with unknown QBs. Hell, even Nick Foles that came out the same time as Davis (that never performed as well, even in College) just had a record day. Sometimes you have to realize that just one crappy coaching decision, for the wrong reason, can change the out come for a Team's whole season. Also, you never know how a player will perform in a game until put into that situation. Could be the next big thing or next bust..... Point is you never know till you try. I believe that Davis has been here long enough to know enough of the Offense that Schotty could put together a plan if he wanted to. I'm not ready to throw in the towel and say we'll just take what we can get. You got to try to get better, not complacent with what you have, mediocrity....

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't know anything about how Clemens positions his pinky toe in comparison to his elbow when his bladder is full and he has a toothache...but I do know he played pretty decently yesterday. He wasn't overwhelming by any means, but he made a few nice passes, extended a few plays with some runs...then he coughed up the football when it mattered most.

I give him a C.

moklerman

Warner-phile
When looking at the game in a vacuum, sure Clemens had a couple of gaffes that hurt the team. But look at the improvement that he showed with just one week of practice. I came away from last night's game thinking the Rams have a very good backup on their hands. If they want to keep Bradford with a solid backup I think they've already got the guys in place. Clemens may be a vet of many years but the guy still has very little game experience and he's still on a young(bad) team. He's put the Rams in position to win games in each of his two starts and continues to improve.

I'm very pleased that the offense can continue to move forward, i.e. gain experience and hopefully be a better unit next year with Clemens running the offense. He doesn't have the physical tools to be elite but he is a 2nd round pick and worth developing apparently.

Honestly, who didn't love the jump pass last night? The guy's gotten out of the pocket, avoided sacks, made plays with this legs and made some pretty good throws. He needs to continue to get better but the key word there is "continue". As in, he's been improving and he just needs to keep doing that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Whenever you play good defenses you typically don't many shots to score. Rams seemingly have played against top half defenses all year, mistakes are magnified. You can't ask Clemons to win you games, only manage them. He's very average and we need better than average with Bradford's injury history mounting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted to pull this back up to say that despite the argument here over KC, I did analyze his game on coach's film today as well as watching it on Rewind Sunday evening and he played well. If he continues to play like that, he'll have my support. It's only fair to give credit when it's due if I'm going to criticize him when he doesn't get the job done. He did his job against Tennessee. His decision making was sound and he missed VERY few reads. Timing was a little off but it's not fair to expect a guy to having timing down pat in his second start.

As long as KC can make sound decisions and play within himself, he won't be a liability to this team. I'm hopeful he continues with more performances like this one.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think that's as good as Clemens can play. They put up 21 pts on offense. That's their limit with Clemens at QB.

The defense/STs will have to score to get more than 21 pts.

So I'm not complaining at all about Clemens. The remainder of this year for me is about hoping other young guys step up like Stacy did.

Clemens is just so limited. He can't throw deep at all. And he's not very accurate on the intermediate stuff. The talent just isn't there. But I highly doubt we get anything better out of the other QBs, and surely not enough more to make a difference.

Agreed

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wonder if most fans realize just how few reps the backup QB gets with the 1's. Basically none. What Clemens has done after being thrown into the fire with one of, if not THE youngest WR corp in the league is admirable. Not to mention his first two starts were against 2 of the top defenses in the league. We all know he needs to cut down on the turnovers. Hopefully he can.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Either way, I'm getting exhausted of micro-analyses of QBs from people (myself included) who know dick compared to NFL coaches.

Yeah that's how I feel about:
Fire Shotty
Fisher is stubborn
Threads about last plays
Who should be playing

In the end , most of the arguments here , to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee ,again MOST of it's like "fleas arguing over who owns the dog".
It's why I keep this bucket full of qualifiers here next to my keyboard,but some people read right past them and .... well you know the rest.

goldenram

UDFA
Clemens was solid but uneven when we needed him most and that fumble did cost us the game.

I don't put a loss on any one player, but his turnover at the end of the game resulting in the game winning TD sure didn't help us win.
Much like last week. If he doesn't turn the ball over twice last week, we most likely win.

POINT: Clemens does nothing to win a game for us.... Usually breaks down at some point and (other players mistakes also count...) does something to cost us the game.. e.g. fumble, int., or bad pass...

Well- Foles is a backup and threw for 7 TD's today.
Backups are still professionals.

POINT: No one knows how a young player will perform in a game situation until put into that situation. Up until one mediocre pre-season game this year Davis was thoughT to be our #2. Davis appeared to have even out performed Clemens during the pre-season,
PRESEASON #s per ESPN
CLEMENS------------ 23/44 --- 349 yds ---- 2 TDs ---- 4 Ints
DAVIS--------------- 28/54 --- 305 yds ---- 3 TDs ---- 0 Ints
other than Schotty feeling MORE COMFORTABLE with the VETERAN Clemens. If the Rams are happy with just finishing out the season and being happy with the CHANCE of Clemens NOT LOSING a game for us, then I guess He is our man. But if we want to try something different with a chance to see what the unknown is capable of, I wish they would give Davis a try. Worst case, we lose, he crashes, and we move on and look for someone in the draft. Best case, Davis turns out to be good enough to keep and we use that pick on another position. If not for Trent Greene's injury, we would possibly have never seen Kurt Warner's potential. Without Don Majkowski's injury, we would never have known Brett Favre's potential. I could go on and on, but fact is that we will never know Davis' potential if not given the chance.