Clayton on Free Agency winners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With 143 players moving to other teams, this was the fourth most active free-agency period in league history. Like most years, the majority of actions were in the first two weeks when most of the money is spent.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were the 2012 free-agency winners by grabbing Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright. The Buffalo Bills changed perceptions of their franchise by grabbing the prize of 2012 free agency, defensive end Mario Williams.

But who won the second phase of free agency? Free agency started on March 13 and the market slowed by April 1. That's where the bargains came in. Ninety-four of the 143 free agents were signed in March. Of the list of 49 signings from April 1 until May 31, 33 signed for the league minimum.

Give the St. Louis Rams the best grade for free-agency bargain shopping. They signed five of the 11 unrestricted free agents after April 1. From that group, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (two-years, $3.05 million) could end up starting on defense. Mario Haggan, Trevor Laws and William Hayes could add depth to the defense. And Barry Richardson could make the team as a backup tackle.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80038 ... ous-winner

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
This from RRF

mojorizen7

"The effort and sense of urgency to overhaul a bad roster was evident to me.
Results pending of course.

In 3 years i never really felt a sense of urgency from the prior regime. The Ten Year Plan in todays NFL is foolhardy."

A bit strong ,but point taken.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
This from RRF

mojorizen7

In 3 years i never really felt a sense of urgency from the prior regime. The Ten Year Plan in todays NFL is foolhardy."

I see fans say that every year. In 2011 they added Bannan, Diles, Poppinga, Leber, Lloyd, Dahl, Mikell, Clemens, Norwood, Williams and Sims-Walker. Not to mention their draft picks of Quinn, Kendricks, Salas and Pettis. And in 2011 everybody said "Championship!"

So I see it exactly the opposite. From THIS regime, I'm seeing a few key additions and an aggressive approach in the draft. The latter I've haven't seen in the past 3 years, but there's potentially a very good reason for that. Trading up wasn't necessarily an attractive option for most teams.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
X said:
Thordaddy said:
This from RRF

mojorizen7

I see fans say that every year. In 2011 they added Bannan, Diles, Poppinga, Leber, Lloyd, Dahl, Mikell, Clemens, Norwood, Williams and Sims-Walker. Not to mention their draft picks of Quinn, Kendricks, Salas and Pettis. And in 2011 everybody said "Championship!"

So I see it exactly the opposite. From THIS regime, I'm seeing a few key additions and an aggressive approach in the draft. The latter I've haven't seen in the past 3 years, but there's potentially a very good reason for that. Trading up wasn't necessarily an attractive option for most teams.
I couldn't agree more well said...I think after then 2012 season we could look back and analyze if our free agency was good or not

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
BuiltRamTough said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
This from RRF

mojorizen7

I couldn't agree more well said...I think after then 2012 season we could look back and analyze of our free agency was good or not
Y-bit NOW "The Professor" sez so

Anonymous

X said:

Not to mention a bunch more guys they kept as part of the competitive mix this year.

These are the guys from 2011 who are still in competition as part of the (almost) 90...I list some of the ones you mention but bold my add-ons:

Barnes, Brandstater, Burney, Clemens, Cole, Dahl, Gordy, Guildugli, Hughes, Kendricks, Mattison, McKee, McQuaide, Mikell, Pettis, Quinn, Reynolds, & Salas.

They kept 18 guys from 2011. And a bunch of them will stick, too. A few will be starters (Dahl, Mikell, Kendricks, Quinn, McQuaide, maybe Mattison, maybe Salas).

Yeah the new regime could trade down, the previous one couldn't.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
zn said:
X said:

Not to mention a bunch more guys they kept as part of the competitive mix this year.

These are the guys from 2011 who are still in competition as part of the (almost) 90...I list some of the ones you mention but bold my add-ons:

Barnes, Brandstater, Burney, Clemens, Cole, Dahl, Gordy, Guildugli, Hughes, Kendricks, Mattison, McKee, McQuaide, Mikell, Pettis, Quinn, Reynolds, & Salas.

They kept 18 guys from 2011. And a bunch of them will stick, too. A few will be starters (Dahl, Mikell, Kendricks, Quinn, McQuaide, maybe Mattison, maybe Salas).

Yeah the new regime could trade down, the previous one couldn't.

Well if you KNOW there were no willing trade partners ,that might be true, but it's often said that when you take a first round Qb your drafting him for your successor so if Spagnuolo had traded the pick, followed YOUR formula of team building,it's possible he'd STILL be there.

I have always said that YOUR formula was as defenseable as the "you must pick the franchise QB when he is there dogma".