Clayton: $6 million-a-year contracts in decline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9430203/nfl-tight-cap-limiting-6-million-year-players" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/94302 ... ar-players</a>

Before free agency started, I began charting the number of $6 million-a-year contracts. Why $6 million? That's a starting point for Pro Bowl-caliber position players.

The 2012 season ended with 197 $6 million-a-year players. The release of Aaron Hernandez cut the current number to 180. Although Hernandez's situation was unrelated to anything that has happened around the league this offseason, it's not surprising to see a contract worth more than $6 million a year adjusted or terminated. With a $123 million salary cap, big contracts are targeted every day.

Naturally, there will be hefty contract extensions ahead. Even if Victor Cruz doesn't get his wish of $10 million-plus, he could settle for a $7 million-a-year deal with the New York Giants.

You have to figure the Houston Texans will find a way to give Brian Cushing a contract extension. Sometime before training camp opens, Matt Ryan, who is making $11.25 million on his rookie contract, should get an extension to stay with the Atlanta Falcons.

But how many more will hit the $6 million-a-year mark? Don't be surprised if the number is small. From June 2012 through the end of the 2012 regular season, a dozen players received $6 million-plus deals. The Pats gave Hernandez $7.5 million and Rob Gronkowski $9 million a year in August. The Texans gave Matt Schaub $15.5 million a year and left tackle Duane Brown $8.9 million in late summer.

The Tennessee Titans extended the contract of cornerback Jason McCourty for $8.6 million a year. The Seahawks gave defensive end Chris Clemons a $9 million-a-year extension and center Max Unger $6.46 million. The St. Louis Rams locked up two of their top young players -- defensive end Chris Long ($12.047 million a year) and linebacker James Laurinaitis ($8.3 million). Toward the end of the regular season, the San Francisco 49ers gave NaVorro Bowman $8.911 million a year.

As 2012 training camp started, the Pittsburgh Steelers reached the conclusion that their $10 million-a-year offer wasn't going to satisfy pending free-agent receiver Mike Wallace, so they gave $8.392 million a year to wide receiver Antonio Brown.

It seems unlikely that 17 $6 million-a-year deals can be made between now and the end of the regular season to reach last year's number of 197. There might be only a handful.

Based on the trends over the past couple of seasons, it's hard for franchises to have more than eight $6 million-a-year contracts on their books when the salary cap is in the low $120 million range. There are a few exceptions. The Seahawks currently have 10 after adding Percy Harvin and Cliff Avril during the offseason, but the organization knows adjustments have to be made in the future.

The Seahawks can get away with 10 this year because some of their best players -- Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner and others -- are still on their rookie contracts. Adjustments will be made when the team tries to extend left tackle Russell Okung, safety Earl Thomas and others.

The Seahawks currently have 11 starters on their roster with Pro Bowl trips on their résumés. Keeping them all long term won't be easy. Highly paid players such as Sidney Rice, Zach Miller and Red Bryant -- all making more than $6 million a year -- need to have good seasons to keep their salaries at that level.

Playoff-caliber teams have been juggling the books since February. To bring back tight end Tony Gonzalez and extend left tackle Sam Baker and safety William Moore, the Falcons had to release defensive end John Abraham, right tackle Tyson Clabo, running back Michael Turner and cornerback Dunta Robinson.

The 49ers have done of great job of keeping together one of the best starting lineups in football. They have 13 position players with Pro Bowl experience. They were at eight $6 million-a-year players, but the number dropped to seven when defensive end Justin Smith, who was making $7.5 million, did a two-year extension at $4.35 million a year.

The Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the other teams with eight players at the $6 million-a-year mark.

The Oakland Raiders went from eight $6 million-plus players last year to three.

It's been interesting to follow the trends at positions. Last year there were 24 cornerbacks making more than $6 million. Brent Grimes, Robinson, Chris Gamble, Antoine Winfield, Corey Webster, Nnamdi Asomugha and DeAngelo Hall all watched their numbers or situations change.

So when you hear that contract talks are heating up for a top player, remember the $6 million-a-year mark. Getting a player signed at that level forces adjustments to fit that contract into the current and future cap of a team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if this website is correct, the Rams have six players in 2013 greater than $6 million;

Cortland Finnegan - $15,000,000
Sam Bradford - $12,594,800
James Laurinaitis - $12,400,000
Chris Long - $8,750,000
Scott Wells - $6,500,000
Kendall Langford - $6,000,000

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap-hit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap-hit/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
And... the number jumps to eight in 2014;

Sam Bradford - $17,609,800
Chris Long - $14,700,000
James Laurinaitis - $10,400,000
Cortland Finnegan - $10,000,000
Jake Long - $9,250,000
Jared Cook - $7,000,000
Scott Wells - $6,500,000
Kendall Langford - $6,000,000

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Clayton is filling up a column here. His use of 6 mil because that's what a pro bowler earns is pretty arbitrary and varies so much from one position to the next. It also doesn't take into account how contracts can be structured. Usually he's excellent but I think he had a quota to meet here lol.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I have a feeling that Cortland Finnegan and Scott Wells will either be gone after this year or have significant restructuring of their contracts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
I have a feeling that Cortland Finnegan and Scott Wells will either be gone after this year or have significant restructuring of their contracts.

I could see Wells being on shaky ground, but not Finnegan.

Finnegan is a top 5 corner, just turned 29, and averages $10M per year.

Darrell Revis is a top 5 corner, about to turn 28, and averages $16M per year.

Elite CB's get paid (although NO WAY do I think Revis is worth $16M per - that's insane).

Not to mention the leadership Finnegan brings to our team. He's very valuable in that regard. In addition, one could argue he sets the attitude of the defense. And... knock on wood... he's been a healthy player throughout his career.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram's view of Courtland:

Elite CB's get paid.

Not to mention the leadership Finnegan brings to our team. He's very valuable in that regard. In addition, one could argue he sets the attitude of the defense. And... knock on wood... he's been a healthy player throughout his career.

While I agree with the stuff in blue, I disagree with your contention that Finnegan is a top 5 CB. I believe he had a bad to very bad PFF rating and those big CB contracts aren't given to CBs who work on the slot WRs. While I like Courtland I wouldn't rate him much higher than top 30. I think if you look around the league at all the teams you'll see that almost every one of them has a CB at least as good or better than Courtland.

I like our CB group but as a group and not as individual players. Even Janoris didn't have a very good year. Sure he flashed greatness and has a huge upside that I think he'll mostly reach but his performance wasn't that good last year. Still, I rate him above Courtland. IMO Courtland is not wirth the $15 million he's being paid this year and won't be worth the $10 million he'll be paid next year.

If the Rams view him like you do then you're probably correct but it will be the last year of his contract I believe and he'll be 31 at the end of it. We all know what that means.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram's view of Courtland:

Elite CB's get paid.

While I agree with the stuff in blue, I disagree with your contention that Finnegan is a top 5 CB. I believe he had a bad to very bad PFF rating and those big CB contracts aren't given to CBs who work on the slot WRs. While I like Courtland I wouldn't rate him much higher than top 30. I think if you look around the league at all the teams you'll see that almost every one of them has a CB at least as good or better than Courtland.

I like our CB group but as a group and not as individual players. Even Janoris didn't have a very good year. Sure he flashed greatness and has a huge upside that I think he'll mostly reach but his performance wasn't that good last year. Still, I rate him above Courtland. IMO Courtland is not wirth the $15 million he's being paid this year and won't be worth the $10 million he'll be paid next year.

If the Rams view him like you do then you're probably correct but it will be the last year of his contract I believe and he'll be 31 at the end of it. We all know what that means.
That's fair, and not very bashy-like.

In actuality, Finnegan and Jenkins ranked 44th and 45th in the league respectively, so there's some validity to what you say. But. They were also the 5th and 7th most *thrown at* corners in the league. Which is to say that our defense was thrown on a lot and not so much ran on (is that right? "Ran on?"). There are a few ways to interpret that, so I won't.

Finnegan gave up the most receptions in the league, but also gave up zero TD's. Comparatively speaking, guys like Patrick Peterson, Jason McCourty, Haden, DRC, Asomugha, all gave up multiple TD's. As did Jenkins. So while Finnegan isn't like an "elite" shut-down type corner, he brings SO MUCH MORE to the table than that. He's a versatile player who can work the outside, the slot, can play the run, is a big bonus to the locker room, and can get inside people's heads and get them off their game. That's why I think he's being paid well. For his versatility, and not so much how he ranks on PFF.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X chimed in:
In actuality, Finnegan and Jenkins ranked 44th and 45th in the league respectively, so there's some validity to what you say. But. They were also the 5th and 7th most *thrown at* corners in the league. Which is to say that our defense was thrown on a lot and not so much ran on (is that right? "Ran on?"). There are a few ways to interpret that, so I won't.

Finnegan gave up the most receptions in the league, but also gave up zero TD's. Comparatively speaking, guys like Patrick Peterson, Jason McCourty, Haden, DRC, Asomugha, all gave up multiple TD's. As did Jenkins. So while Finnegan isn't like an "elite" shut-down type corner, he brings SO MUCH MORE to the table than that. He's a versatile player who can work the outside, the slot, can play the run, is a big bonus to the locker room, and can get inside people's heads and get them off their game. That's why I think he's being paid well. For his versatility, and not so much how he ranks on PFF.
As I said, I like him for the reasons you pointed out but I'm not on board with $15 million worth of like.

He's worth being the highest paid Ram? :neh:

They're only paying players like Nnamdi Asomugha $1.35 before incentives. I think Courtland is worth in the $6-8 million range.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X chimed in:

As I said, I like him for the reasons you pointed out but I'm not on board with $15 million worth of like.

He's worth being the highest paid Ram? :neh:

They're only paying players like Nnamdi Asomugha $1.35 before incentives. I think Courtland is worth in the $6-8 million range.
Yeah, it is a hefty contract, but it becomes very manageable and *only* $27M of it is guaranteed. In 2014, his $6 million base salary is NOT guaranteed. There's a $3 million roster bonus, but it's guaranteed for injury only. If in 5 days after the Superbowl (giving the Rams time to weigh their options), he isn't cut, THEN it's a guaranteed salary for that year. So, he's either earning it by then or he's not. We need a guy like Finnegan (and I know you agree) to mentor the guys we draft to replace him down the road. He's already been invaluable in that regard with how he's been teaching Jenkins and Johnson (both have commented on this).

IMO, the Rams have positioned themselves nicely with Finnegan.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
This is a little touchy feely, but I almost feel like Finnegan was brought in to help implement a culture among the DBs as much as his actual play on the field - bringing a new expectation of physicality and run support among the corners, being a veteran leader familiar with how Fisher does things, etc. So while his impact in coverage may not be worth 10 mil, his impact in run support and among his younger teammates might be. I dunno, may be way off base here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PrometheusFaulk said:
This is a little touchy feely, but I almost feel like Finnegan was brought in to help implement a culture among the DBs as much as his actual play on the field - bringing a new expectation of physicality and run support among the corners, being a veteran leader familiar with how Fisher does things, etc. So while his impact in coverage may not be worth 10 mil, his impact in run support and among his younger teammates might be. I dunno, may be way off base here.
That's how I see it. He's part of a culture change, and is a player-coach. When you think about it, he's being paid to be an outside corner, slot corner, linebacker (in run support), mentor, coach, and a major thorn in the side of every receiver he faces. lol.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Even though I don't think he's worth $15 million this year I have no problem with paying him that because I really don't see the Rams having any leverage there. But looking at the situation in 2014, I think, as X pointed out, we'll be in the catbird seat. I doubt he'll want to hit FA at 31 and I think if we offer him a 3 to 4 year extension at about $6 million (or even less and not a lot guaranteed) he'll take it. Everyone can see what the effect the new CBA has had on the contract's of older players. I have no reason to think his will be any different.

As for the intangibles, I think it has it's value but as each year passes the impact lessens. We'll still be reaping the benefit of that for at least the next two years regardless of his salary.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's worth what he's getting paid so far. I agree that he needs to redo his deal after this year and I'm sure they will work on that.....but he's been worth the money they've given him to date. All the football brains say that Jenkins can be a top 3 shutdown corner and he needs a guy like Finnegan to show him the ropes. Same with Johnson of curse but Jenkins is the risk pick and a guy like Finnegan showing him what the meaning of working right is cannot be underscored enough. So in part he's getting paid to make sure that risk pick reaches the upside potential they want to see.

That's worth some cheddar. I'd bet that part of the reason they felt good about drafting Jenkins is because Finnegan was on the roster.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The Finnegan contract is front loaded. We take the big hit this year for the most part, after that its manageable. So this season he is being overpaid, but other years, not so much.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HE WITH HORNS said:
The Finnegan contract is front loaded. We take the big hit this year for the most part, after that its manageable. So this season he is being overpaid, but other years, not so much.

You are correct. This year $15M.

The next three years; $10M, $9M, and $10M

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
HE WITH HORNS said:

And none of it guaranteed (after this year).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
HE WITH HORNS said:

And none of it guaranteed (after this year).

Some of this sheet confuses me;

It looks to be me like their must be $4M more guaranteed somewhere if a total of $24 is fully-guaranteed.

Contract: $27 million guaranteed, $24 million fully-guaranteed, $3 million guaranteed for injury only

2012: $5 million base is fully guaranteed
2013: $9 million base is fully guaranteed
2013: $5 million roster bonus guaranteed for skill and injury
2014: $6 million base is non-guaranteed; $3 million roster bonus guaranteed for injury only on signing (becomes fully guaranteed five days after the Super Bowl XLVII)
2016: $2 million roster bonus