Cignetti gettin' it done

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Even when the o line wasn't executing as well as they did on Sunday, you could see that Cig was calling well designed creative plays.

Of course those who don't watch Rams games were writing him off after the first 3 games based on the numbers alone.

He said he was going to get Tavon involved more and he's actually achieved that so far. I love the way he uses Tavon as a decoy in the run game so often with the jet sweeps etc. To be fair Schotty did that too but Cig has taken it further.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for that, watched every single play many times just to see how well the oline blocked and it looks like it's coming along quite well.

I see plays where our oline is just tossing ppl around, which is a nice sight to see.

RamsFan14

Starter
I wanted to post about Cignetti last week, but figured some people would be salty talking about it. I think Cigs has done a GREAT job CALLING plays. Here's the thing, I think calling plays vs execution are two different things. I don't think we were executing very well in our 2 losses, however I've liked the play calling all season (for the most part). The passing game has been fun to watch with the intermediate passes to go with the awesome play action that Foles is so good at. Again, we NEED to run the ball! We must execute and get some good runs in, we'll be that much better if we do.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not to take anything away from Cigs, but it bugs me when I hear the national talking heads saying that we are finally using Tavon correctly. Seems to me he wasn't ready to be used the last 2 years. I'm glad it's clicking now.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm sorry, but I'm so happy Schotty is gone. The dude just was not a good play caller. Cigs is light years ahead of him. The pistol formation with Tavon coming to take the jet sweep and all the play action double reverses are used to perfection. And he uses them a lot because they work. So yes, I'm happy with Cignetti.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to take anything away from Cigs, but it bugs me when I hear the national talking heads saying that we are finally using Tavon correctly. Seems to me he wasn't ready to be used the last 2 years. I'm glad it's clicking now.
I really don't see TA doing anything overly complicated this year. I think part of it is that Foles has actually thrown a couple of those passes where the combination of Clemens/Davis/Hill just couldn't hit them. But these sweeps and other plays to plain get the ball in TA's hands in at least a little space is not something we were seeing much from Schotty. I think all in all, Cigs is just more energetic and creative in his approach.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So far, Cignetti is an improvement over Schottenheimer... but there is still much work to do.

The next few weeks - with Gurley playing - should show more improvement.

Just get to averaging around 24 PPG and this team is in the playoffs. Period.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I really don't see TA doing anything overly complicated this year. I think part of it is that Foles has actually thrown a couple of those passes where the combination of Clemens/Davis/Hill just couldn't hit them. But these sweeps and other plays to plain get the ball in TA's hands in at least a little space is not something we were seeing much from Schotty. I think all in all, Cigs is just more energetic and creative in his approach.

Its not so much doing overly complicated things - although running the right route is a lot more complicated than most of us realize - but moreso he knows the full playbook, which allows him to stay on the field for 75+% of the offensive snaps instead of just coming in for the Tavon package.

His blocking has also gotten worlds better - again, allowing him to stay on the field.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Great breakdown of how Cigs is designing plays. Kind of reminds of you the greatest show and how they motioned players at different times to confuse the defense. Same here Cigs designs are causing confusion.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The more I learn about Cigs, the more I like.

And the more my comfort level improves.

To think that he was right under our nose for 3 years...

Is it possible that the Cigs promotion might rival the Foles trade as best offseason move?

I could make a good case for either.

The combination of the two plus the Gurley pick have transformed the franchise, if you ask me.

We now look like a dangerous team, don't you think?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO there's two major areas the OC has to excel.... Play design and play calling.

Play design is the more important of the two because that is the stage where the OC analyzes how the defense plays as well as its personnel weaknesses and attacks both. It is also where he projects what the opposing DC is going to do and accounts for it with the design and package that is installed for the game.

Play calling is enormously dependent on the above but it is also important for the OC to have a good feel for down/distance/situation and to counter what he feels the defense is doing. Also known as keeping them on their heels.

One could argue that execution is a third area the OC is responsible for. But I personally believe when the first two above are done well the execution is the players responsibility. The caveat there is how does he run practice? Good example was Bill Walsh who would make SF run the same play over and over for hours until everyone executed their responsibility perfectly. But again IMO the true strength of his offense was the above two areas.

Anyway back to Cigs... Through the first quarter of the season he has done both quite well in 3 of the 4 games. This is while using a lot of movement to slow opposing defenses to buy time for his young OL and boldly calling deep passes to keep the defenses honest behind that young line. So I'll say this... Yes it is early and premature to make assumptions from a small sample size. But screw it, I think I've seen enough to know Frank is gonna be at least an above average OC. Which means I am very happy right now as a fan.

Oh and btw... This matchup with Capers is the first matchup for Frank against a seasoned DC. The first four games featured DCs who are nowhere near Capers ability. So it's a big one for Cigs IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well he's got the benefit of a healthy starting QB, not a backup and 3rd stringer.

He's also got the benefit of having a healthy 5 offensive linemen. And at least 2 healthy RBs.

Oh and also the WRs benefit from all that too.

Having better players make any OC look good.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's amazing what a strong half (really a quarter) of football will do for a fan base's morale.

I know I'm feelin it!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
whaaa? the Rams can adjust in the second half?? fuck you Schotty

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope it continues because I was at the Skins game and it wasn't pretty . Then the Steelers game with 6 points so I am going to wait and see before drinking the kool-aid again . That being said I feel a lot better with him and Foles in charge . GO RAMS

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Loved Frank Cignetti in week one
  2. Was not happy in week two
  3. Very displeased in week 3 golden opportunity to beat those animals from Pittsburgh
  4. Frank was my hero finally beating that villain of a Head Coach in Bruce Arians.
Some might call this unfair and some might call it not loyal, but I reserve the right to pass judgment on Frank Cignetti when it's all said and done, but I did appreciate his look of disgust when they showed him in the booth early in the game at Arizona as I've had the same look for a number of years now.

ACignettiAP631983261409.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cigs has been calling up dimes since Oxnard...It's all about execution...The line & the skill positions gelling....

Split-Zone concepts....and some of yall wanted to scrap the zone blocking...LOL;)

MrMotes

Starter
Dead last in yards per game, 27th in points scored by offense, i too am reserving judgement...