Chubby D excited about new offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY STU DURANDO
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1vivE2rMX

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/35/a35ad249-2b26-5399-83ce-4bc34299ea6a/4f6d29a3168df.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]The evolution of Brit Miller's football career rates among the most unusual on the Rams' roster when you consider the route he took to become an NFL fullback.

Playing for Eisenhower High in Decatur, Ill., he was the starting quarterback running the option in addition to his work on defense. At Illinois he moved full time to linebacker and led the Big Ten in tackles as a senior.

But when San Francisco wanted him to move to fullback in training camp in 2009, he wasn't about to argue. Miller now hopes that he can fully realize the potential of the position in coach Jeff Fisher's offense, which offers a playbook a fullback can embrace.

"It's great," Miller said. "Last year there wasn't really anything in there for us that stood out where we could get downhill and block people and do the things we like, things we're good at. This playbook is full of it. I've had familiarity with this system in the past, so coming in I can jump right into everything."

After suffering knee injuries the last two seasons, Miller said he is healthy and ready to take on Fisher's running game in addition to his work on special teams. During organized team activities he has been joined at the position by rookie free agent Todd Anderson, who moved from the defensive line to fullback as a senior at Michigan State.

Miller's life as a quarterback ended quickly when he arrived at Illinois. As time progresses, he's finding that fullback is a position that fits his personality a little better than previous spots.

He's content being a lead blocker for Steven Jackson and protecting Sam Bradford after accumulating gaudy statistics for years.

"I definitely feel at home as a fullback," he said. "I feel I have a lot more fun rather than if I was a linebacker. In this league there's definitely room for fullbacks. It's a specialty position as far as our skills. It's going to make me a better coach, and right now it's the best-suited position for me."

Anderson is trying to give Miller a push after getting one season of experience in college. He was a little-used walk-on for the Spartans until making the transition to fullback before his senior year.

He played in all 14 games, making seven starts. He was named the team's most improved player.

Growing up in Napoleon, Mich., Anderson was a fan of Lions fullback Cory Schlesinger, and playing the position was something he had hoped to do for years.

"I always felt it was my position," he said. "Just seeing the guys that played the position and the mentality, I always wanted to be like them. I grew up watching Cory Schlesinger, breaking face masks on the field, and that's what I've always been into."

Miller brings added value because he's also developed into one of the Rams' best special teams players. He calls it "the most natural thing in football, running in space and trying to make plays."

The extent of the fullback's role in 2012 remains to be seen. But Fisher was known to have the fullback on the field extensively during his days with the Titans.

Miller learned the position in San Francisco under assistant coach and former tight end Tom Rathman, an experience he called a nightmare. He said he cringes at the memory of things he was made to do but said he owes a debt of gratitude to Rathman.

This could be the season the whole thing pays off.

"You have to be a selfless guy when it comes to this position," Miller said. "My first goal is always to protect Sam but a very close second is to make Steven a Pro Bowler any way I can being his right-hand man."