Christian Bryant aims to follow Rodney McLeod's Path

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams safety Christian Bryant aims to follow Rodney McLeod's path
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

OXNARD, Calif. -- Of the many observers in NFL free agency this year, Los Angeles Rams safety Christian Bryant might have been among the most interested.

First, Bryant considers fellow safety Rodney McLeod a friend, and as McLeod approached his first taste of unrestricted free agency, Bryant wanted the best for him. But Bryant also had personal reasons to monitor McLeod's status.

Bryant spent the past two years recovering from an ankle injury and working his way from the practice squad to special-teams contributor on the active roster. With dreams of contributing on defense, Bryant was also well aware that if McLeod departed, it could open doors that were previously closed.

When McLeod signed a five-year, $37 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, those doors came swinging open.

"I was watching it, I was watching the whole free-agent process to be honest with you, just to see what types of moves would be made," Bryant said. "But I’m happy for Rod. He’s a hard-working guy. Over these past two seasons that I’ve been with him, I’ve seen him work hard nonstop and he’s been a good example for me. Just to see him go on and get that big contract, it’s a blessing for him but it’s opening new doors for me every day. I’ve just got to try to continue to do what I’m doing, making strides and taking steps forward every single day."

The goal, of course, is for Bryant to take the ultimate step and claim the job McLeod left behind. That might seem like a long shot from the outside, but the same was once true of McLeod -- a former undrafted rookie who slowly worked his way to the starting job and, eventually, a lucrative free-agent contract.

After allowing McLeod to depart, the Rams showed little urgency to find an outside replacement. They visited with veteran safeties Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner, both of whom remain available, but for now coach Jeff Fisher and Co. seem intent on letting in-house options Bryant and Cody Davis attempt to stake a claim to the job.

“It’s a good group," Fisher said. "Christian Bryant is coming on, really taking advantage of this opportunity. Cody understands the position; he’s got some game experience. We’ve got a couple young guys that we’ll have to look at in a game, when things are live and they are in a pressure situation.”

That's an opportunity Bryant is excited to embrace as he and Davis have been rotating with the first-team defense during organized team activities.

"Competition in an organization is always good because each player always finds some way to get better," Bryant said. "It’s a friendly competition but at the end of the day, this is our job so I’m looking to make all the right plays on the field to make that next step in my career and get on the field with the 1's and stay there."

That Bryant is even in position to compete for the starting free safety job is proof that he's taken plenty of steps forward since he landed with the Rams. In his final college season at Ohio State, Bryant suffered a broken ankle against Wisconsin. The injury cost him most of the 2013 season and he wasn't healed enough to show what he could do during the pre-draft process.

Bryant's draft stock tumbled before the Rams took a chance on him in the seventh round with pick No. 241 overall in the 2014 NFL draft. Bryant was unable to get to full strength during the preseason and make a run at a roster spot, eventually landing on the practice squad where he stayed for the season. When he returned last season, there weren't many expectations for him to contribute but he began to feel more comfortable.

The lingering effects of the ankle injury also stuck with Bryant, who says he only started feeling back to his old self this offseason. With bounce back in his step, Bryant attempted anything possible to work on his game and body, regularly attending Pilates, hot yoga and martial arts classes during the offseason.

"When I first came in, I was still struggling with my ankle and it was bothering me a lot," Bryant said. "But at that time, it was really a point in my life where I was trying to build my self esteem and my mentality back up because that was probably one of the hardest moments of my life just to bounce back from this and just believe again that I can play at a high level and sustain it. I think I’ve come far from there and right now I am doing all the right things and I feel like my confidence is at an all-time high right now."

On a defense dotted with first-round picks, it would be understandable if Bryant wondered whether a former seventh-round pick would get a fair shake when it comes to competing for a starting position. But coordinator Gregg Williams has long believed the NFL is a production business and won't hesitate to put the best players on the field.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IDK am I the only one who believes in Cody Davis? I understand that some might have visions of Rich Coady and Craig Dahl dancing in their heads, but Davis has speed and size and IMO could be an excellent Free Safety, Brian Randolph not withstanding, however, if memory serves me correctly @CoachO was a big fan of Christian Bryant.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IDK am I the only one who believes in Cody Davis? I understand that some might have visions of Rich Coady and Craig Dahl dancing in their heads, but Davis has speed and size and IMO could be an excellent Free Safety, Brian Randolph not withstanding, however, if memory serves me correctly @CoachO was a big fan of Christian Bryant.
I don't doubt Davis as an athlete, he's a beast with his size and speed. I doubt his instincts and he seems slow at reacting when the play is developing in front of him. I'm really hoping Bryant can surprise and that he wins the FS spot.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

For me it is not that I do not like Davis, it is that I like Bryant as much if not more. Now that he is fully recovered, barring injury I think this battle, will be a very competitive between these 2. When we drafted him in 2014, I went back to look at how he was viewed by scouts. The analysis I found that best sums up his abilities was from CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737398/christian-bryant

1737398.jpg

CHRISTIAN BRYANT, FS
SCHOOL: OHIO STATE | CONFERENCE: BIG10
COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR | HOMETOWN: CLEVELAND, OH
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 5-9 / 198 LBS.
PROJECTED RANKING
OVERALL POSITION PROJ. RND.
249 10 7
PLAYER LOWDOWN

WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 20 YD 10 YD 225 BENCH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD SHUTTLE 3-CONE DRILL
4.54 - - - - - - -
PLAYER OVERVIEW
A four-star cornerback recruit, Bryant was courted by several big-time programs, including Stanford and Michigan State, but kept the Glenville-Ohio State pipeline going, choosing the Buckeyes.

He saw immediate playing time due to injuries and stepped into a starting nickelback/strong safety role as a sophomore in 2011, finishing with 67 tackles. Bryant set career-bests in 2012 as a junior with 70 tackles and 13 passes defended, starting all 12 games and earning Second Team All-Big Ten honors.

He was on pace for his best season yet in 2013 as a senior, but he broke his left ankle in the fifth game of the season and applied for a medical redshirt year to return to Columbus for one more season of eligibility, but was denied by the NCAA.

Bryant has fluid athleticism with the play speed and feet of a former cornerback, but has the mentality and physical nature of a safety. He lacks ideal strength and bulk for the position, struggling to consistently finish tackles, but his rangy athleticism allows him to cover a lot of ground and his instincts frequently lead him to being in the right spot at the right time.

Bryant is a versatile nickel defender who might be able to carve out a niche in sub-packages and special teams, but needs to stay healthy to prove he can be durable enough for the NFL.

STRENGTHS: Rangy athlete to cover a large area with easy movements, playing low with natural bend and flexibility. Closes fast with bad intentions, aggressively throwing his body around.

Quick eyes and first step to arrive at the ball in a hurry. See-ball, get-ball type who tracks well and shows no hesitancy in his game. Good feet and coverage discipline in space to stay under control and alert in man or zone.

Plays with a chip as if he's always out to prove something. Feisty, competitive demeanor. Engaging leadership traits and carries himself with a positive attitude. Above average locker room presence...good starting experience (27 career starts) with extensive reps on special teams coverage and experience at cornerback, strong safety and nickelback.

WEAKNESSES: Tick undersized with below average height/length and limited room to get much bigger or stronger. Needs to consistently break down and wrap instead of throwing his shoulder. Often tries wrestling the ballcarrier to the ground, allowing him to pick up a few extra yards.

Needs to improve his body control in coverage to properly turn his head, locate and make an athletic play. Too often allows himself to get turned around and have coverage lapses. Lacks experience near the line of scrimmage and was used primarily in the deep half of the field.

Strong durability concerns with a laundry list of injuries that forced him to miss playing time, including a foot infection (2010), shoulder injury (2011) and a broken left ankle (Oct. 2013) that ended his college career.

--Dane Brugler

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I hope by "follow Rodney McLeod's path" he doesn't mean excell from UDFA to starter and become my favorite player only to leave and become an Eagle..... F that path

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another Wagoner article where he totally overlooks Mo Alexander as an option, even when he started at S the last five games of the season.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Another Wagoner article where he totally overlooks Mo Alexander as an option, even when he started at S the last five games of the season.

personally, at this point in time I dont think he is an option for FS. Not because he doesnt have the talent, but because I think the Rams prefer him as their big nickle S and backup to TJ. And with TJ not at OTAs he has even a lower chance at getting FS reps

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

I'm really starting to think McDonald is gonna be suspended for the first 4 games so were gonna need Mo to start in his spot for a few games.

lockdnram21

Legend
I remember from his scouting report his speed doesn't translate well Cody's more of a as to me I think Bryant will be our fs and I hope he is

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm a big fan of Cody Davis too! and I think your right, coachO is, I believe a Fan of Bryant's!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that we're damned fortunate to have such fine candidates for the deep S position. That might be the reason that they've held off on signing a vet so far.

And I have no dog in this hunt, btw.

I do think that one of Davis, Bryant, or Randolph will probably be the starter.

I give the slight edge to Bryant, fwiw. Mostly because of his instincts and the "bread crumb" clues from beat reporters of late.

Alexander has a shot. I suppose. But I think he's considered more of a first up behind McDonald and Barron.

Who knows? Maybe some unknown UDFA just blows them away.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope by "follow Rodney McLeod's path" he doesn't mean excell from UDFA to starter and become my favorite player only to leave and become an Eagle..... F that path

That's why your favorite player should be one the Rams plan on keeping so as right now my favorite player is...Hmmm......Todd Gurley.