Chris Williams leads race for left guard job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/5/4399598/st-louis-rams-2013-otas-chris-williams-leads-race-for-left-guard-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/5/4 ... -guard-job</a>
St. Louis Rams 2013 OTAs: Chris Williams leads race for left guard job
The Chicago castoff is currently working with the first team at the left guard spot, but it figures to be a hotly contested position once training camp rolls around.

Few things have gone through as lengthy, torturous of an evolution as the St. Louis Rams offensive line. Bad personnel moves, injuries and random circumstances have conspired to keep Sam Bradford guessing behind a constant rotation of five guys. But things have finally settled down, except for one spot: left guard.

That spot is up for grabs. And unlike the running backs or wide receivers, a rotation isn't the most likely answer to the question. Chris Williams, a former first-round pick by the Chicago Bears, was manning that spot during Tuesday's OTAs. (You can see a picture of the starting five linemen on the Rams' official site).

The job doesn't officially belong to Williams, not yet. He'll have to compete with a small cell of players to grab the starting spot between Jake Long and Scott Wells.

The Rams grabbed Williams off waivers during the season last year. He was re-signed this year to an incentive-laden, one-year contract. Williams saw the field at both right tackle and right guard last year; 59 of his 88 snaps played were at guard. He has experience from his time in Chicago at left guard too, but injuries and turmoil combined with unmet expectations there, sending him to waiver wire.

Second-year player Rokevious Watkins is Williams' most likely challenger for the left guard job. A fifth-round pick from South Carolina, he had the starting job for awhile last year, taking over late in Week 1 because of an injury to Scott Wells that forced Robert Turner to move to the middle. Unfortunately, Watkins injured himself in practice the week after, ending his season.

Watkins looks like a long shot from the outside. He showed up to training camp overweight, but after some time in a remedial physical training program, he rejoined his team pretty quickly. Head coach Jeff Fisher talks up Watkins at every chance he gets.

"We encouraged him to take some time off," Fisher said at the Combine. "He did. He came back. His rehab's just about complete. His weight is significantly down and he made a commitment to a program early in the offseason to get himself in a position where he can really compete. So I'm pleased with his progress thus far."

He spent some time as South Carolina's left tackle in 2011, but saw more of his playing time as an interior lineman in college. Scouting reports on Watkins coming into the 2012 NFL Draft pegged him more as a finesse player, despite his size. He showed a knack for using his hands and feet pretty well. The Rams need to see a lot more from Watkins, which is probably why Williams is getting the first shot at the left guard job.

Don't rule out Shelley Smith either. He played some 360 snaps and made six starts at guard for the Rams last year. Smith was plucked off the Texans' scrap pile; his career stalled out there because of injuries. Interestingly enough, Smith and Williams platooned the right guard position in Weeks 16 and 17 last year. Smith did a little more work as a pass blocker than Williams.

There is also this year's fourth-round steal, Alabama do-it-all lineman Barrett Jones. He's listed by most as a center; that's where Nick Saban ended up playing him last season to great reward. Of course, he can play and has played all five spots on the offensive line.

Another year, another offseason to determine the shape of the Rams' starting offensive line. We're used to it. The difference this time is that the Rams finally seem to have some young talent with some upside, itching to prove their worth. The line on the field for Week 1 might not be the final, most perfect evolution of the unit, but it should be a much better one.

You guys have probably already beaten this subject to death but I wasn't here then so I missed it. I read this article and for the life of me I can't see any reason why he thinks Williams is at the top of the heap.

Anyone have any insight about this?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many of us knew this was coming after Robert Turner decided to sign with the Titans and thus the Rams turned their attention to Chris Williams.

Williams outplayed Smith at RG filling in for Dahl and Williams offers a much bigger presense on the OL at 6-6 315lbs than Turner did last season.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
den-the-coach advised:
Many of us knew this was coming after Robert Turner decided to sign with the Titans and thus the Rams turned their attention to Chris Williams.

Williams outplayed Smith at RG filling in for Dahl and Williams offers a much bigger presense on the OL at 6-6 315lbs than Turner did last season.

If I read you correctly, you're saying that Turner would have been ahead in the race. That doesn't fill me with very much confidence because I thought Turners play at guard wasn't anything to write home about. He did a better job at center but even there I felt he was slightly below average.

It seems like Williams sole claim to fame is his larger size. Scary. ROK or Jones need to be better solutions than Williams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
albefree69 said:
If I read you correctly, you're saying that Turner would have been ahead in the race. That doesn't fill me with very much confidence because I thought Turners play at guard wasn't anything to write home about. He did a better job at center but even there I felt he was slightly below average.

It seems like Williams sole claim to fame is his larger size. Scary. ROK or Jones need to be better solutions than Williams.

Not at all I just know the Rams wanted Turner back for his versatility and maybe as insurance for Wells. I agree about Turner at times being overmatched at LG and I do believe Williams is a viable option with his play at RG.

IMO Jones is more of a Center than Guard and still is recovering from his foot injury. As to Watkins, he needs to showcase better decision making before I can trust him starting each & every week.

Not sure if the plan was to bring both Turner & Willaims back, but the fact that Williams is working with the first unit showcases that the Rams were impressed with his play at the end of last season.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hope he does great, he has something to prove, and those are often the guys who do the best. I have been rooting for him since the rams picked him up!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While it's just OTA's and I don't read a lot into who plays with who I think right now it might be his job to lose.
They paid him starter money to return, and he does make a better guard than a tackle.
This could help motivate Rok and Smith to ratchet it up a few notches to try to take the job from him.
Competition is good.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think we can all get on board with Williams turning out to be a steal but here's the thing, he's here on a one year deal. If he turns out to be good I'm not sure we can afford to keep him even if we end up cutting Dahl and or Wells.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
I think we can all get on board with Williams turning out to be a steal but here's the thing, he's here on a one year deal. If he turns out to be good I'm not sure we can afford to keep him even if we end up cutting Dahl and or Wells.
You never know. He might dig the vibe and re-sign like Hayes did just to be a part of the team again.
It's an outside chance, but a chance nonetheless.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X being being very optimistic:
You never know. He might dig the vibe and re-sign like Hayes did just to be a part of the team again.
It's an outside chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Yeah and I was thinking that if he does turn out to be good and he signs with another club we might get a very good compensatory pick for him. :sure:

See how you're dragging me into the dreaded Pit of Optimism. :swoon:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
See how you're dragging me into the dreaded Pit of Optimism. :swoon:
Once you get used to the temperature, you'll never want to get out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At guard; Williams > Turner

I never got into the love for Turner. Sure he was versatile, but he was average on a good day everywhere.

I think it's Williams job to lose. Rok could make a move, but he was very iffy last year and would need to make strides.