Chris Simms on What He Thinks the Rams Biggest Weakness Is

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The St. Louis Rams had an exciting offseason with the addition of Nick Foles and Todd Gurley, and they look much improved on offense. What is their biggest weakness heading into 2015? How can they address this? Watch as Courtney Fallon and Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms discuss the Rams. Simms says Cignetti is the biggest question mark for the Rams due to his lack of experience calling plays at the pro level.

Watch Simms Talk Rams

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In ten years, Chris Simms will try to be famous, and no one will remember his average father....except Giants fans...
I do like what he has to say, I just wonder why is it even considered analysis...why not call it an opinion...speculation....an effing guess....Seriously....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do agree with him on Cigs being the biggest question mark but not because of his lack of playcalling experience specifically.

Playcalling goes back to execution, as most calls are "good ones" when they work. Execution goes back to camp and learning how to perform your responsibility consistently for a given play call. Which in turn goes back to coaching which is simply teaching. Outside of the teaching side of things Cigs also needs to demonstrate he can forecast what defenses will do, and how they will adjust so the Rams offense isn't fighting a strategical uphill battle (which was usually the case with Schotty as OC).

Do all that, and playcalling will not be a problem.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Maybe the unknown is a good thing. We know what we had with Schottenheimer, Wells, Long and Joseph. And it wasn't good. At least we don't know if what we have now will be just as bad.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Maybe the unknown is a good thing. We know what we had with Schottenheimer, Wells, Long and Joseph. And it wasn't good. At least we don't know if what we have now will be just as bad.

Yup, at least it gives us some degree of "hope" for improvement. There's certainly sufficient questions concerning the OL, QB and OC positions to provide any number of positive and/or negative surprises going forward. I'm secretly holding out hope for something on the order of what happened in 1973 when C. Knox joined the Rams the first time, along with a well worn QB from San Diego by the name of John Hadl. Back then a 2nd year RB named McCutcheon (think Mason & possibly Gurley), along with a speedster named Jackson (think Tavon) plus a spirited defense that included players like Isiah Robertson, the Youngblood(s), Reynolds & Olson (think Quinn, Long, Donald & the current LB corp) put up a shocking 12-2 season out of no-where (think GSOT) and we have the makings for another miracle.....

How's that for hope? Better yet, can lightening strike a 3rd time?.......we're sure appear to be past due!!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Writting play calls on ping pong balls and picking them randomly out of a hopper would be an improvement over last year IMO.

Alan

Legend
Merlin with his take on our biggest ?:
Playcalling goes back to execution, as most calls are "good ones" when they work.
I have a different view of what constitutes good "play calling" and it doesn't depend on execution or results. It depends on, wait for it...math. Shocking statement coming from me eh? :LOL: If the call was a high percentage call, fitting the skills of the players to be tasked, the conditions on the field and it takes into account any physical limitations such as an injury that hasn't completely healed yet, it's a good call. Regardless of outcome.

As far as Cigs is concerned, I hope that his play calling is adaptable to the circumstances and isn't overly predictable. I want to see us play as well if not better in the second half of games.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Writting play calls on ping pong balls and picking them randomly out of a hopper would be an improvement over last year IMO.

I'm loving this Chaos Theory way of play calling - let's do tour defence balls could be

"The Balls of Fury"

and the Offence balls could be:

"The Balls of Destiny"

You know it makes sense Fisher!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have a different view of what constitutes good "play calling" and it doesn't depend on execution or results. It depends on, wait for it...math. Shocking statement coming from me eh? :LOL: If the call was a high percentage call, fitting the skills of the players to be tasked, the conditions on the field and it takes into account any physical limitations such as an injury that hasn't completely healed yet, it's a good call. Regardless of outcome.

As far as Cigs is concerned, I hope that his play calling is adaptable to the circumstances and isn't overly predictable. I want to see us play as well if not better in the second half of games.

I agree, but also takes into account the opponent and their strengths / weaknesses. E.g. The Colts game a a couple of seasons ago was an example of good play calling, we worked out their defensive and offensive weaknesses and play called to exploit them, we've done the same to Seattle a few times too

Alan

Legend
shaunpinney fleshing out my bare bones opinion:
I agree, but also takes into account the opponent and their strengths / weaknesses.
Excellent point. That's included in my opinion too. I just forgot to access that file in my brain before I typed that post. :LOL:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Personally, I'm mesmerized by Courtney Fallon. What did Chris say? :)