Chris Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Eventually something has to give.
I hope the NFL realizes that it is indeed possible to destroy an entire fan base.
We have all the bad luck we need. When we get bad calls by the officials too, it just might be too much for us to accept.
(Nudge, nudge give us some love NFL! )

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Chris Long out 8-10 weeks
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...weeks?ex_cid=espnapi_public/print?id=11503501

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long has played in 97 consecutive regular season games since entering the league in 2008.

It's a streak that will come to an end Sunday when the Rams play at Tampa Bay as Long is set to undergo left ankle surgery either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

The surgery is expected to keep Long out for eight to 10 weeks, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the Rams will place Long on injured reserve with the designation to return later in the year.

"He will be back," Fisher said. "When, I can't predict at this point. We have a good feel that he will be back at some point late this season."

Long suffered the injury early in the third quarter against Minnesota on Sunday when defensive tackle Kendall Langford was blocked into him and appeared to roll up on Long's ankle. Long was helped off the field and did not want to speculate on the injury at the time.

After discussing options with Fisher, all parties agreed that surgery was the best choice.

"We felt this was the best course of action for his ability to return this season but also his career," Fisher said.

Fisher said Long, who was voted a team captain last week, would return to be around the team as much as possible while he recovers. In the meantime, the Rams will turn to veteran end William Hayes to help fill the void left by Long.

For his part, Hayes is still in the process of coming back from three offseason surgeries of his own. He had operations on his ankle, collarbone and hip and spent the preseason working to get back into football shape.

Hayes' first game since the surgeries came last week.

"I just don't want to be a drop off this week, that's one of the big things," Hayes said. "I feel like he would be disappointed in me if I was to go out there this week and just really bum it. It was a hard fight coming back from all my surgeries this year but I'm ready to go."

Fisher said Hayes won't be the only one asked to help out in Long's stead. Fellow veteran Eugene Sims is capable of playing both sides and undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks could be active for the first time in his young career.

Long's surgery isn't the only noteworthy one for the Rams this week. Fisher said quarterback Sam Bradford had the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee repaired Monday.

"Sam decided over the weekend and talking to him that he wanted to go ahead and get it done and get on the comeback trail again that he knows so well," Bradford said.

Shaun Hill, who replaced is Bradford's replacement, did not practice Wednesday with a quad injury. Fisher called Hill's injury "day-to-day." Austin Davis got most of the work with the first team Wednesday but recently signed Case Keenum also got a few reps.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Anyone else want to see what Aaron Donald can do at LDE?
That would be really interesting. He's a good weight for it and would be one of the most athletic DEs in the league. He would be a great speed rusher and that bull rush would dominate RTs, and in the run game he would be a real anchor holding the edge. Don't think he could be handled there. Would be nice to see him get a few snaps there, obviously not full time but to throw different looks.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Loss of Chris Long latest blow for Rams
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_d4cf9d1c-8713-5783-bca0-f84a64cd13f2.html

The Rams' awful start to the 2014 season just got worse with the news on defensive end Chris Long.

Long will be out indefinitely after undergoing surgery on his injured lower-left leg. Initial estimates have Long missing as much as two months. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Long will have the surgery late Wednesday or on Thursday.

"I won’t go into the specifics on the surgery," Fisher said. "It is unique however, and he will be back. When I can’t predict at this time, but we have a good feel that he will be back at some point late in the season."

Fisher said Long would be placed on the injured reserve-designated to return list, which would keep him inactive for a minimum of six weeks.

Long suffered the injury in the season-opening 34-6 loss to the Vikings. The seventh-year veteran played only 31 snaps before going down. Team doctors and trainers attended to Long's left ankle but he did not return.

This is obviously a major loss for the Rams.

Long, 29, had 50.5 sacks in his first six seasons with the team and averaged 11 sacks over the past three seasons. Lining up on the left side, Long teamed with right defensive end Robert Quinn to give the Rams one of the best pass-rush tandems in the NFL last year.

Until now, Long hadn't missed a game in his NFL career after being drafted No. 2 overall by the Rams in 2008.

The Rams have a highly capable replacement in veteran William Hayes, who has provided consistently good play as the team's third defensive end. But Hayes underwent hip surgery this past offseason and was held out of the team's four preseason games.

Hayes, who will start in Long's place at Tampa Bay on Sunday, may not be entirely up to speed. But at least the Rams have depth at the defensive end position, with veteran Eugene Sims and rookie Ethan Westbrooks. Fisher indicated Westbrooks could be active for the game at Tampa Bay.

“There’s a chance Westbrooks will be up now," Fisher said. "Will (Hayes) steps up. Obviously, Gene (Sims) can play both sides. We’ll be fine there until (Long) he gets back.”

That said, Long's absence figures to make it easier for opponents to focus on stopping Quinn.

This is the second significant injury to a core player for the Rams, who lost QB Sam Bradford to a season-ending knee injury in the third preseason game.

In addition to his quality play, Long provided energy and leadership as one of the Rams' established veterans. This was a hit to the team's morale.

"The players are aware of it," Fisher said. "Obviously, they’re disappointed, I’m disappointed for Chris."

Asked about Long's mood, Fisher said, "Well, he’s not taking it very well. Obviously, you guys know him, his personality is such that he’s let the team down because he can’t be here. That’s what he’s most disappointed about."

For the 2014 Rams, it's difficult to imagine a more disturbing start to the season. The Rams already face an extreme challenge on offense because of injuries to Bradford and primary backup Shaun Hill (thigh), who didn't practice Wednesday. And now they'll have to trudge forward without one of their best defensive players.

If Hill can't go Sunday, the Rams will turn to Austin Davis, as they did in the second half vs. Minnesota.

The Rams also have new QB Case Keenum in reserve, quickly learning the offense.

As for Hill's availability for Tampa Bay, Fisher said: "He’ll be day-to-day. Austin took the majority of the reps. We got Case some reps, first time. He’s starting to feel a little more comfortable in the system. Keep in mind this is still just his fourth day on the practice field with us, so he’s working hard to get up.

Fisher will have to find a way to rally his team. It may be a little dramatic to say that the Rams already are in the crisis mode, but it sure seems that way. If nothing else the early-season turmoil is another detriment to overcome in what will be a challenging year.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
While I would love to see Sam back, I am some what skeptical that the Cowboys would not offer him a 53 man roster spot. It then becomes a question of which team offers him the best chance to be on the 46 roster. I have no idea of that answer.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
This Sucks big-Time, Now everyone will Triple-Team Quinn, and there goes the pass rush!!
Not so at all. While this does give teams more flexibility to focus on Quinn we have very capable backups. We also are deep at the dt positions and they play heavily into the pass rush as well. See Langford and Brockers who had over 10 sacks between the 2 of them last year.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
That would be really interesting. He's a good weight for it and would be one of the most athletic DEs in the league. He would be a great speed rusher and that bull rush would dominate RTs, and in the run game he would be a real anchor holding the edge. Don't think he could be handled there. Would be nice to see him get a few snaps there, obviously not full time but to throw different looks.
he played some DE in preseason, or in Sunday's game . .. only a snap or two . . . but Hayes will start Westbrooks will rotate . . .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not so at all. While this does give teams more flexibility to focus on Quinn we have very capable backups. We also are deep at the dt positions and they play heavily into the pass rush as well. See Langford and Brockers who had over 10 sacks between the 2 of them last year.
OK But! I just don't see them filling Chris's shoes with every thing he does!!

Athos

Legend
We're flippin CURSED ladies and gents.

FLIPPEN GD FRACKIN' CURSED!

The hell hole that was post GSOT. The hell hole of Linehan and Spags.

And the hell hole of no offense.

And hell hole of Bradford finally having a talented, matured offense to settle into being torn apart by a dickish Carolina cat, then re-injured by the BrownBags.

And now Chris Long.

Will it ever end?:sick::(:mad::cry:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well shit, glad we're deep. Willy Hayes is more than capable as long as he's truly healthy. I'm excited to see EW get in there. CLong's leadership will be missed, along with Bradford(as someone had mentioned).

Case Keenum also got a few reps.
I like this.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man this one hurt. Chris is one of my favorite rams. Hes gone through some rough seasons and done nothing but show up and work hard, never complained. On the bright side, if any team in the league is equipped to handle this its the Rams with our depth. Sucks to hear, but I think we'll be okay

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy to think about but Chris Long hadn't missed a game in his first 6 years in the league. These will be the first games he misses in his career. Just all types of bad breaks for us.
Just think you are so wrong about this. It is actually one of his strengths.

Disagree. Long is a mediocre to average run defender.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Injuries are just a part of the Rams game.