Chris Long the man

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-anthem-gets-chris-long-support?sf107245251=1

MenuESPNLOG INSCORES

NFLHome Scores Schedule Standings Stats Fantasy: Sign Up Teams Power Rankings NFL Nation Pigskin Pick'em Eliminator Challenge Draft Injury Wire Transactions Rumors Football Power Index Expert Picks Monday Night HQ Chalk Odds PickCenter Pro Bowl Tickets

Eagles' Chris Long on backing Malcolm Jenkins' protest: 'I'm here to show support as a white athlete'

play

Long, Jenkins reflect on significance of unity gesture (1:18)

FacebookTwitterFacebook MessengerEmailcomment

2:52 AM CT

Tim McManusESPN Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Eaglessafety Malcolm Jenkins continued his protest of social injustice Thursday by raising a fist over his head during the playing of the national anthem before the team's preseason home game against theBuffalo Bills.

In a show of support, defensive end Chris Long kept his hand on Jenkins' back for the entire playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner," then gave Jenkins a pat on the shoulder pads and a hug when the song was over.

EDITOR'S PICKSOwners can freeze out Kaepernick, but NFL's activists keep message alive

Malcolm Jenkins and a few of Colin Kaepernick's courageous peers aren't backing down to the league's owners. They're willing to keep taking significant hits for real-world change.

Long bros.: Hate won't define Charlottesville

Chris and Kyle Long, who grew up in Charlottesville, Virginia, watched in dismay as their hometown was besieged by violence and hate rallies over the weekend. The brothers say the community will not be defined by those actions and will emerge stronger.

Titans' Jones fears anthem protest will cost him

Titans lineman DaQuan Jones is worried that if he continues his post-national anthem protests, he'll be labeled as "a Colin Kaepernick" and it will hurt his career.

"I've heard a lot of people say you need white athletes to get involved in the anthem protests," Long said. "I've said before I'll never kneel for an anthem, because the flag means something different for everybody in this country, but I support my peers. And if you don't see why you need allies for people that are fighting for equality right now, I don't think you'll ever see it. So my thing is, Malcolm is a leader, and I'm here to show support as a white athlete."

A native of Charlottesville, Virginia, Long has been outspoken about the recent events in his hometown. Earlier in the week, he called the actions of the violent protestors "despicable."

"I was inspired by a lot of the allies that were there to stand up against hate in my hometown, and I wasn't able to be there to protest or to stand up against hate. People like Heather Heyer gave their lives for that, and I was inspired by that," he said. "So it's just telling Malcolm, I am here for you, and I think it's a good time for people who look like me to be here for people fighting for equality."

In another show of support for Jenkins, Eagles cornerback Ron Brooks kneeled during the anthem, video showed. Brooks did not dress for the game because of a hamstring injury. Last year, Brooks joined Jenkins in raising a fist for multiple weeks before being sidelined by a ruptured quad tendon.

Long approached Jenkins before the game to tell him about his desire to show support during the anthem. After getting an understanding for the message Long wished to convey, Jenkins agreed.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

"I think it is important to show, especially for a white male to show, that although these problems don't necessarily affect you, you can still see the significance in it, you can still be in support of your brothers that are going through it," Jenkins said.

Eagles DE Chris Long, left, kept his hand on Malcolm Jenkins' back as Jenkins raised his fist during the playing of the national anthem before Thursday's preseason game. AP Photo/Matt Rourke

Jenkins raised a fist above his head for all but one game in 2016 -- the exception being the regular-season opener against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 11 out of respect for those who served and died on that day in 2001 -- and did so again before the preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers last week. A source close to Jenkins told ESPN last week that he intended to demonstrate for the entire season.

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett sat during the national anthem last Sunday before their preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams in part because of the recent events in Charlottesville. His teammate, receiverDoug Baldwin, says he is considering joining Bennett in the demonstration.Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch remained seated during the national anthem before the team's 20-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Saturday.

Earlier this week, Jenkins said he does not expect to see a large uptick in anthem protests as a result of what transpired in Charlottesville.

"It's just telling Malcolm, I am here for you, and I think it's a good time for people who look like me to be here for people fighting for equality."

Eagles DE Chris Long

"What happened to Charlottesville to me was not a starting point. To me, that would not be the point in which somebody would start to do the protest," he said. "That was a result of years and years of frustrations and battles that have been going on for a long time. Those are just kind of the results of the existence of hate, racism and prejudices that have long plagued America. So I don't see people now trying to get involved in that because if you hadn't seen a problem until the other day then you've kind of been sleeping."

The original pregame demonstrations were kick-started by quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began sitting during the national anthem in the 2016 preseason before taking a knee for the final preseason contest and 16 regular-season games.

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter in March that Kaepernick would stand during the national anthem this upcoming season. He has not been signed by another team since opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ersmonths ago, however.

Jenkins is one of several players who have continued the protest in Kaepernick's absence, while others across the league have voiced their support for the cause and concern over whether the quarterback is being blackballed as a result of his actions.

"Last year, the people who were against Kaepernick were probably making the most noise, and now you have the reverse," Jenkins said. "So keeping him out of the league, you think that things are going to smooth over but in actuality you're having a bigger uproar from people who want to see him have a job -- especially if him not having a job is solely on his political stance."

Jenkins has developed into one of the leaders of the NFL players' off-the-field movement. He helps coordinate the efforts of a growing network of NFL players looking to get involved in social activism, has made multiple trips to Capitol Hill to speak with politicians about mass incarceration and police brutality, and has met local law enforcement and participated in a ride-along with Philadelphia police.

While he wants to off-field efforts to be the primary focus, he feels the protests are still needed to bring attention to the issues of social injustice.

"As the blowback against those who stand up for what is right thickens, I feel it is necessary to push forward with a relentless determination," he told ESPN in a statement last week. "I want to send a message that we will not easily be moved or deterred from fighting for justice."

FacebookTwitterFacebook MessengerEmailcomment

SPONSORED HEADLINES

7 Natural Wonders of WisconsinTravel Wisconsin

Revealed: The Dating Site That Men In The US Are Going Crazy ForBright Lifestyle

By

Comments

Which NFL teams are most likely to go from worst to first in 2017?

Pondering which NFL teams are most likely to go from last place in their division in 2016 to first place in 2017? Start with Cam Newton and the Panthers. Jim Dedmon/Icon SportswireFacebookTwitter

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thread locked, in 3..2..1.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Charlottesville
Free Speech is something that should be afforded to every american.
Even if you do not agree with the message, that person should still
have a right to protest without provoked violence from counter protesters.
That's all I have to say about that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One side affect of him doing this is I no longer have a Rams jersey. Time to figure out who to get. It was going to be Donald but with him holding out I doubt I'll get one of his.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
All Nazi's must die

IMG_9260.JPG

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Why are people hating on long? What am I missing here. Much respect to him
He's a "useful idiot" for the narrative that America is racist, and that the hate and violence is from the right.

The fringe group of racist whites that met in Charlottesville are pathetic and have no power. They have been rightfully marginalized and shunned.

The driver that killed that girl was sick and evil. But the bulk of the violence in this country today comes from the radical leftist groups that want to tear down America, and it is not even close.

ALL hate and racism is wrong. But people flee TO America because of its goodness and opportunity. Capitalism is the most compassionate system in the world. But you wouldn't know it because it is bashed daily by the Marxist professors and the media.

Systemic racism from our past was wrong, and has been addressed in this nation like no other nation.

The bigger problems of violence in cities like Chicago, and lack of hope with jobs are what need to receive the bulk of our energy. That is love. Without agenda.

By the way, I think Chris overall has a good heart. What he is doing with his Waterboys foundation is awesome, and very needed. I just think he has this wrong.

:grouphug:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
One side affect of him doing this is I no longer have a Rams jersey. Time to figure out who to get. It was going to be Donald but with him holding out I doubt I'll get one of his.
18 is my next jersey! Come on with me now!

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But the bulk of the violence in this country today comes from the radical leftist groups that want to tear down America, and it is not even close.

Systemic racism from our past was wrong, and has been addressed in this nation like no other nation.

The bulk of the violence in this country comes from the leftist group???? Is this based on facts?

To put it simple terms, there are people that believe systemic racism is gone and there are people that do not.

fearsomefour

Legend
The bulk of the violence in this country comes from the leftist group???? Is this based on facts?

To put it simple terms, there are people that believe systemic racism is gone and there are people that do not.
Easy discussion to have via private message.
Facts.
Yes.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good for Chris.

Lets stick to football and facts, not right-wing/left-wing rhetoric passed off as fact.

I'm sure you are all very confident in how right you are... but some opinions are best kept to yourself.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
He's a "useful idiot" for the narrative that America is racist, and that the hate and violence is from the right.

The fringe group of racist whites that met in Charlottesville are pathetic and have no power. They have been rightfully marginalized and shunned.

The driver that killed that girl was sick and evil. But the bulk of the violence in this country today comes from the radical leftist groups that want to tear down America, and it is not even close.

ALL hate and racism is wrong. But people flee TO America because of its goodness and opportunity. Capitalism is the most compassionate system in the world. But you wouldn't know it because it is bashed daily by the Marxist professors and the media.

The bigger problems of violence in cities like Chicago, and lack of hope with jobs are what need to receive the bulk of our energy. That is love. Without agenda.

By the way, I think Chris overall has a good heart. What he is doing with his Waterboys foundation is awesome, and very needed. I just think he has this wrong.

:grouphug:
There is no left. There is no right. There is no spoon.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
just wanted to say something about that shot. in the movie scanners the guy's head blowing up gave it a R rating. the same year raiders of the lost ark comes out and the picture above shows his head is about to explode and it gets a pg rating. go figure.

It's simple
Nazi's heads exploding is correct
The guy in Scanner's who's head exploded was just some Scanner trying to earn an honest living - the fact that Michael Ironside rolled up and scanned his ass was R material

Nazi's dying though - parental guidence suggested.

My son sees lots of Nazi death - cause watching those Nazi's die is fun. I love watcing the Boys From Brazil cause those dogs rip that Nazi's throat out - of course that film wasn't PG - but my son loves that movie. Watching nazi's die is a family event. If you don't belive me I have some other PG films to watch: Where Eagles Dare for one.

God I love dead Nazis

IMG_9261.JPG

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Keep Politics out of the game. I want to watch Football on Sunday and be entertained. Save the protests for your own time. These guys are getting paid to play football. They should stick to it. They have an entire off-season to champion their causes. I'm sick of hearing about protests and a back up QB that's out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.