Chris Long talks of Rams breakup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Former St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long will be playing his old team for the first time since departing during this past offseason for the New England Patriots.

http://ramblinfan.com/2016/12/01/chris-long-talks-rams-playing-meaningful-games/

Defensive end Chris Long was a valued member of the St. Louis (Now Los Angeles) Rams during his eight seasons with the team, and he will face his old squad for the first time in Week 13 since leaving during the offseason.

The split between the Rams and Long was understandable. Long, 31, had trouble staying healthy the past two seasons and was clearly past his prime.

The former No. 2 overall pick of the Rams was allowed to walk by the team because of considerable depth on the defensive line, and he ended up signing a one-year deal with the Patriots.

Chris Long Talks Rams Breakup

When asked about his leaving the Rams before the team moved to Los Angeles for the 2016 season, Long doesn’t hold any grudge against the team for letting him go, according to Jack Wang of the OC Register:

“I own up to not being myself those two years, injury is part of it and it’s part of the game,” he said. “I was getting paid too much to be gimping around and not playing like myself. It was just time and I totally understood when I got the call.

“I love them all the same. I respect those guys all the same. I’ve got no bitterness. For me, it’s very easy to move forward and have no ill will.”

What a good, honest assessment by Long of his last two years with the team. Despite his struggles in 2014 and 2015, Long went on a four-year run where he averaged over 10 sacks per season from 2010 to 2013 and was an important part of the Rams’ defense.

Jeff Fisher Praises Chris Long

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher had great things to say about Long, who he coached for four seasons:

“It was a difficult decision to part ways with Chris, because he’s one of my all-time favorites and a locker-room favorite and everything,” Fisher said. “But of all the places where one would think he would have a chance to be successful, it would be New England. So he landed on his feet and he’s playing well. … I’m happy that Chris is on a team that has won a lot of games, because he deserves that opportunity.”

In those four seasons, Long never played in an important game in December. In fact, he never played in important games late in the season during his entire St. Louis tenure, with the team owning a losing record in every season he was there.

Chris Long on Playing Meaningful Games

So, as you can probably guess, things are a bit different for Long in 2016 as the Patriots look to make the playoffs as the AFC’s No. 1 seed:

“It’s a new thing playing games in December that, they’ve got a different vibe to them,” Long said. “So I welcome that, for sure.”

Long has totaled just two sacks and 25 combined tackles for the Pats this season. It’s safe to say he’s probably excited for this matchup against the Rams at Gillette Stadium.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I bought his jersey. My friends make fun of it (oh, they sell one for every play he makes, guess you got the one, har har har), but he's made it easier for me to root for the Patriots.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was right to let him go, but he was an all time good guy on the team...He deserves to play in the playoffs and get a ring,,,but hell, did have to be the Pats?:wtf:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great guy and very good player. Wish it hadn't gone the way it did but I don't blame anyone and looks like he doesn't either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always maintain despite not having gaudy stats ... chris long made our defense better ... and other players better

Similar to Brockers in that regard.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Chris is a great teammate and UNDERRATED as a player. As @UKram stated, his play helped others on the DL when he was healthy. Sack totals aren't everything. He was a disruptive force off that side of the ball on almost every play and especially on third down. I wish him nothing but the best. Miss that guy on our team.

tempests

Hall of Fame
CL was our defense's first stepping stone back to respectability.

Consider that in 2007 the Rams DEs had 5.5 sacks. Total. The entire season. In 2012 the Rams DEs had combined for 32, with Long the team leader.

His stats were just fine.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Chris Long is a class act. Just like his dad. I for one was ok with the decision from a football stand point, but he was a favorite of mine on the team. I wish him all the best in life

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris is a great teammate and UNDERRATED as a player. As @UKram stated, his play helped others on the DL when he was healthy. Sack totals aren't everything. He was a disruptive force off that side of the ball on almost every play and especially on third down. I wish him nothing but the best. Miss that guy on our team.
I honestly dont think Quinn has been the same since he left or when long was out injured

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Similar to Brockers in that regard.
Difference though is that Long played a position that accumulates stats and Brockers doesn't.
I think Brockers has been a much more significant force on the field than Long ever was. That said, I loved having the guy on the team, was a character and gave us something to cheer for.
Ultimately, I believe he was pretty over rated and if his last name was Smith instead, he probably wouldn't have been as highly regarded. Just my .02

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Difference though is that Long played a position that accumulates stats and Brockers doesn't.
I think Brockers has been a much more significant force on the field than Long ever was. That said, I loved having the guy on the team, was a character and gave us something to cheer for.
Ultimately, I believe he was pretty over rated and if his last name was Smith instead, he probably wouldn't have been as highly regarded. Just my .02
Chris racked up multiple 10+ sack seasons and almost always was close to the top of the league in pressures. If he'd have played RDE instead of LDE he'd have got more from occasionally blindsiding QB's but when he was healthy he was a really good player for a long time on a team bereft of talent. I agree - Brocker's contribution is underestimated because of his role. I personally think Chris was on the same level or even higher but we maybe remember him now for the period on the back end of his career with the Rams where he was always gimpy and just didn't produce anymore.

Still a fun dude, a good locker room guy. That family has got some serious bloodlines going on. I'd love to see what either Kyle or Chris' kids do in a few years if they want to go into football.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great guy but overrated player
When your wrong, your really wrong!! And your REALLY! REALLY !WRONG with this statement!!
temp20130824_StlDEN_004--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp20131110_RamsINDY_038--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Long72D.jpg

Long5.png

rs5.jpg

Chris+Long3.jpg
2009_NFL_CHRIS_LONG_LARGE.jpg

chris-long9.jpg

Last edited: