Chris Long signs with Eagles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/28/chris-long-signs-with-eagles/

Chris Long signs with Eagles
Posted by Josh Alper on March 28, 2017

609375094-e1490717611702.jpg
Getty Images

After winning the Super Bowl with the Patriots, defensive end Chris Long said that he wouldn’t be returning to New England for a second season.

Long cited a desire to play a more prominent role on defense than he did down the stretch for the Patriots as the reason for moving on and we now know where he’ll be vying for that kind of playing time. Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Long has agreed to a contract with the Eagles.

Long will likely take on a fair number of the snaps that Connor Barwin played at defensive end last season. Barwin was released earlier this offseason and wound up signing with the Rams, who once employed Long although their defensive scheme has changed and will allow Barwin to move back to outside linebacker.

Long had 35 tackles and four sacks for the Patriots in the regular season last year.

Psycho_X

Legend
Good for him, should be a good fit for him. All though, with as active as he is in social media he might want to suspend those accounts for a while if he doesn't play up to Eagles fans expectations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wish he could have won that ring with us of course. Hope he sticks with a team but I can't help but hope he comes back to the Rams some day. I loved his motor and his prankster attitude.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He'll do well in Schwartz's 4-3 defense. Hope he succeeds except when he faces us of course.

Ram65

Legend
I'll get to see him play more with the Eagles. Nice that he goes to a 4-3 defense with Schwartz.

What % of snaps will he get?

60-70% would be my guess. That could depend on the draft. Some are calling for a DE in round 1 for the Eagles.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Glad to see he got another gig! Like @RamFan503 said I would sure like to see him back with the Rams some day! Love-the-Man!!(y)(y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dad played at Villanova . Villanova Is a good spot for him . Connor fits The Rams 3/4 . They both play with high energy . Glad The Rams got Barwin .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/31/chris-long-i-have-a-lot-left/

Chris Long: “I have a lot left”
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 31, 2017

627689450-e1480885595648.jpg
Getty Images

Last year Chris Long was cut by the Rams in a move that signaled the end could be near for the veteran defensive end. Now he has a Super Bowl ring from his year with the Patriots and a new contract with the Eagles, and he says he’s nowhere near the end.

I feel like I have a lot left, I really do,” Long said today in Philadelphia. “There was a time when I was injured and playing really bad and cut, rightfully so, that I wasn’t sure what my future in football was. But I was really lucky to take that step and for Coach [Bill] Belichick to take a chance on me, and I found out that I still had a lot in the tank.

I didn’t miss a practice, I didn’t miss a game last year, and that was something that I was very proud of, and was able to play and I think at a pretty high level.”

Long said the defense in Philadelphia is a lot like the scheme he played in with the Rams, and he knows he can be a good fit.

“If you watch what I did in St. Louis for eight years, that was more like what we do here,” he said. “So schematically there’s a big difference. I’m just lucky to find a place that I think I can at least compete to try to have a role.”

The 32-year-old Long sounds confident he has a few more good years left in him.