Chris Long hoping to bounce back, unsure what future holds/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long hoping to bounce back, unsure what future holds
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...oping-to-bounce-back-unsure-what-future-holds

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Rams played their final game as the St. Louis edition of the team on Jan. 3, but it's also possible that defensive end Chris Long, a St. Louis staple, has played his last game as a Ram.

On the heels of two injury-plagued seasons that limited him to 18 games and four sacks, Long is due to count $14.25 million against the 2016 salary cap. In other words, the Los Angeles Rams will have to make a decision on whether to keep Long, release him or try to come up with a solution to bring him back cheaper.

Speaking to ESPN.com the day after the season ended, Long made it clear he's aware of what this offseason might hold.

"Honestly, I don't know," Long said. "Those decisions aren't all mine. Certainly I know the last few years I have been injured and the production is way down. So the bottom line is it's a production business. Do I deserve to play my last one here? I don't know but I know that I'm pretty committed to getting back to being me and I think that's very possible. It's two plays that kind of derailed the last two seasons for me and that's the way it goes. Bottom line is, I'm very motivated but I need some time to just get away."

Long took some of that time, going on a tropical vacation before returning and resurfacing as "Hopeful PowerBall Player" on a Charlottesville, Virginia, newscast. In February, Long will trek to Africa with fellow NFL players participating in his Waterboys Foundation to check in on the progress of the installation of clean water wells in east Africa.

After that, Long's NFL future remains uncertain. He's been the heartbeat of the Rams locker room almost from the day he arrived as the No. 2 overall pick in 2008. He's also been through nothing but losing seasons since and survived as the team's longest-tenured player. In those eight seasons, Long has 54.5 sacks, 246 tackles, eight forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries in 114 games.

Until 2014, Long was the picture of durability as he never missed a game in his first six seasons. But a foot/ankle injury cost him 10 games in 2014 and even when he returned from short-term injured reserve, he played well below full capacity.

In 2015, Long played the first four games and appeared to be rounding back into form. He had two sacks and 10 tackles in those four games and was particularly effective setting the edge against the run. But on his 15th snap of the fifth game against Green Bay, Long fractured a bone in his knee. That ailment kept him out the next four games before returning in week 11 at Baltimore.

When Long got back, though, his role had changed. He averaged 36.9 snaps per game in the final seven games, a noticeable dip from the 47.3 he averaged the first four games. And Long's pass rush opportunities were even more limited as he rarely found himself on the field on third down. He averaged 7.6 third-down snaps per game in the final seven games after playing 12 third-down snaps per game in the first four weeks.

Which would seem to make it unlikely the Rams will pay Long so much money on the final year of his contract even if he's interested in sticking around.

"I love my coaches, I love my teammates here," Long said. "If there's a way to make it work where I'm needed here and it works out, that would be great."

The most logical way for that to work? It would probably require Long to sign a new contract that drastically reduces his pay. Long has worked with the Rams many times during his career to create salary cap space but this would almost certainly have to be a pay cut rather than moving money around as he has previously.

Asked if he'd be willing to discuss that possibility in order to stay with the franchise that drafted him, Long said he would.

"Of course," Long said. "But I'm not a guy that, I mean, the last two years I have been paid more than I've performed. That's just the bottom line. It's a business. Sometimes teams win and sometimes teams lose with that stuff so you're certainly not rushing to give the money you earned back. You can't control certain things with injuries and such but of course I'm open to doing something like that. It's not about the money at this point for me."

Which is to say that at this stage in his career, it's about the wins. That begs the next question of whether Long thinks the Rams offer him the chance to do that versus the potential to go elsewhere and enjoy the type of success he covets while getting back to his productive ways.

"I think personnel is going to continue to improve," Long said. "Coach (Jeff) Fish(er) and (general manager) Les (Snead) have done a great job of increasing the talent level on this team. We've got to win the games we're supposed to win. That's the bottom line. Hopefully we'll be able to take those steps next year."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Chris Long a great leader, but I would release him and resign Hayes and I feel bad unless Long will restructure I would love for Long to experience post season in Horns, but they can't keep him at his current contract IMHO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He could restructure and take a pay cut or possibly an incentive based deal. If this is his last year, I would rather it be in horns.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Chris is a "nice" player, not a "special" player. He never did play up to the #2 pick in the draft. With all the change, the youth movement, his injuries, etc...its probably best to move on at this time.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
A drastic pay cut would be the only way to keep him in the horns.I've been saying to cut him and still feel that way unless he does accept a drastic paycut.He's not that old so there is the chance that he comes back and plays good football.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
"I mean, the last two years I have been paid more than I've performed"

I absolutely love that quote!

The guy is basically saying that he has enough money, he's happy to restructure - I think our D would be very different without him - he's THE veteran leader that we need to keep, I keep saying it, the guy IS a Ram, through and through AND he's a grounded guy - our young bucks need him around especially going to LA..

Did we hear SammyB or SJax offer taking a pay-cut???

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The guy came out and said he would take a pay cut. Does it get any better then that? That's loyalty. He cares more about the team then he does himself.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
According to Spotrac Chris Long will make 14.2 million in 2016. Texans JJ Watt will make 14.5 million in 2016. Stop & chew on that for a moment.

CL was paid over 12 million in 2015 & JJ Watts was paid over 13 million in 2015. Rams have paid CL the last two yrs 25.4 million the Rams can not afford to throw that kind of cap $$ into a declining wearing down often injured 31 yr old DE any longer. Rams would be better off in just releasing Chris Long & let the great class act find his worth on the free agent market.

A restructured CL contract for 2016 still would not improve this player who will fill that starting LDE post! You will still pay big .... very big in any restructured deal for CL. CL can hit the FA market and get a much better deal on teams who don't have big cap $$ already tied up in a #1 type DE Robert Quinn. With needed future cap $$$ to resign Brockers & Donald!

So IMO the Ram fans yells for a restructured deal in order to hold onto a declining older DE who drains the Cap that prevents the signing of better younger healthier FA Ram players .......holds NO reality in my small mind. Rams can get a fully healthy Hayes or even the younger Sims maybe both @ a much reduced cost & investment. Add in that the Rams have three 25 yr olds DE's Quinn, Westbrooks & Longacre already signed in 2016.

Now with the Rams moving back to his home in California where his parents still live might (highly unlikely but CL is a smart class act) get him to just rethink his real value which is a part time player and just move toward retirement and have a chance to play in LA .......& later make a move into broadcasting like his dad. This is what I hope happens.(y)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but of course I'm open to doing something like that. It's not about the money at this point for me."
Okay....he's ready to go to the table....incentive laced deal....or hit the road Chris.
@BonifayRam
not sure Westbrooks & Longacre are serious players....They had plenty of time this year...and what did they do? Westbrooks really surprised me...as I figured he do a LOT more....
I was looking at the Clemson, Florida, and Bama defensive lines...I saw 10 players I'd rather have than Long, Westbrooks, and Sims...Some were backups....This is a very strong DE draft imo....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris Long open to revisiting contract to stay with Rams

Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2016, 9:50 AM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...pen-to-revisiting-contract-to-stay-with-rams/

The Rams are moving to Los Angeles, which is where defensive end Chris Long’s father Howie called home with the Raiders for all but one of his 13 years with the franchise.

The younger Long feels less than certain that he’ll be making the trip with the team. A knee injury kept Long out of the lineup for four games a year after he missed 10 games after having ankle surgery and he saw less playing time upon his return to action than he was getting before he got hurt. Long had 33 sacks from 2011 to 2013, but he’s added just four to the total in the last two years.

All of that doesn’t add up to the team-high $14.25 million that Long is set to count against the cap in 2016, the final year of his contract with the Rams. He’d like to play out that year with the team, but knows that it might take a pay cut for that to happen after the way the last couple of years have gone. He’s not opposed to it, even if his Powerball bid fell short.

“Of course,” Long said, via ESPN.com. “But I’m not a guy that, I mean, the last two years I have been paid more than I’ve performed. That’s just the bottom line. It’s a business. Sometimes teams win and sometimes teams lose with that stuff so you’re certainly not rushing to give the money you earned back. You can’t control certain things with injuries and such but of course I’m open to doing something like that. It’s not about the money at this point for me.”

Eugene Sims and William Hayes are both set to be free agents, which doesn’t leave much at defensive end beyond Long and Robert Quinn. As in all cases involving a pay cut, though, the key will be finding a number that works for both the Rams and Long.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Don't know quite what to say.

Some of us need to set our sentimentality aside and see what's really our Chris Long situation.

He's become reduced to a part time injury prone player and trending downward from there.

Hayes outplayed him by a wide margin. We've gotta move on, fellas.

If Long could be happy playing for $3.5 million, I suppose his leadership would justify retaining him.

But Champ is right. This is a great draft for DE and we can more than replace Long with one of our picks by round 2A. That would be the smart play, if you ask me.

The NFL is an unforgiving environment. Produce or you quickly fall behind.

Long
Cook
Saffold
Foles
J Lau

All should be looking over their shoulders. Wouldn't surprise me if all but J Lau are replaced this offseason.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every year is a tough year for NFL veterans, especially when you talk about team's core players... ie - Chris Long. But some other team will dangle 15 million in front of him and he will sign. It's a lot of money. I wouldn't blame him. See Bradford.

A55VA6

Legend
Chris is a true pro and a great dude. I hope he stays a Ram for the rest of his career..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I love my coaches, I love my teammates here," Long said. "If there's a way to make it work where I'm needed here and it works out, that would be great."
My Feelings exactly!! I hope the Rams can work something out!!
Chris is 'motivated' and he is a "Motivator"! I love the guy and want him to retire a Ram!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Okay....he's ready to go to the table....incentive laced deal....or hit the road Chris.
@BonifayRam
not sure Westbrooks & Longacre are serious players....They had plenty of time this year...and what did they do? Westbrooks really surprised me...as I figured he do a LOT more....
I was looking at the Clemson, Florida, and Bama defensive lines...I saw 10 players I'd rather have than Long, Westbrooks, and Sims...Some were backups....This is a very strong DE draft imo....

I agree with you fully LACHAMP46 & have posted the same as you about the heaviness of top DL prospects contained in this 2016 draft. It would be a good time to seek to replace high cost $$$ Ram players like Nick Fairley (5 mil), Chris Long (14.2 mil) & William Hayes (near 5 mil) with some of these good prospects who falls through the first rds. Ideally using both 2nd rd.'ers could prove wise & smart in the long run on defense but does little to improve a pathetic dismal offense. If it were up to me I would be looking harder for a NT/DT if one slips down into the top of the 2nd rd. But if one of those top 3 QB's are there with that first pick I swinging hard to land one!

There was a reason you did not see a lot of DE's Longacre & Westbrooks......Longacre only played in 5 games late in the yr. His best game came when Long was out & Hayes had a nagging thigh injury that was wk 9 against the Vikings, same week he was activated for the first time. Longacre had 4 tackles in that game & finished the yr as the 3rd LDE had 11 tackles. CL had only 19 tackles. I like the Longacre's play against the run. He held up very well.

Ethan Westbrooks was rarely seen playing the DE posts & spent most of his time on the field using his 260 lbs something frame playing the interior of the DL . So judging his play in 2015 @ DT when he is a smaller DE may not be a good ideal. I would not be in any hurry to write off either of these young CHEAP DE's until we see them both getting regular reps @ DE.

I believe that Gregg Williams could use 2016 season to get a look @ both Longacre & Westbrooks along with the 6-4 262 pound Rob Quinn & also the pass rushing skills of 6-3 255 pound Akeem Ayers without using whats left of draft & cap capital on a DE.