Chris Long: "Everyone benefits from continuity"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Long Getting Back to 100 Percent
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Long-Getting-Back-to-100-Percent/90d2e447-def3-4640-bd6e-d73562387c87

The 2014 season was tough for Chris Long. Known for his durability in addition to his consistent strong play, the Rams’ defensive end was sidelined for 10 games with a unique ankle injury. And even when he returned for the season’s last five contests, Long acknowledged following the season he wasn’t at full strength.

“It’s been a grind -- mentally a grind -- because you’re like, ‘Man I just want to be myself again,’” Long said at OTAs this week. “I think what’s been encouraging the last couple weeks, is I’m moving really well, and feeling really good, and feeling like myself so it’s a big relief.”

“You want to be out there to help your team,” Long continued. “You’re a captain. You’re supposed to be a leader. You don’t know what your place is when you’re sitting on the sideline. Even if you’re physically not capable of playing, or maybe shouldn’t be playing, you just want to play.”

Fortunately, as it stands now, Long says he’s just about cleared the long road to 100 percent.

“It took a lot of rehab and a lot of hard work in the offseason, but I think the hay is in the barn with that,” Long said. “I think now, it’s just getting re-acclimated to running and cutting and football, which has been pretty seamless for me. This is how I wish I would’ve felt earlier, but it’s finally here.”

While he had only a few in-season practices with Long prior to the injury, 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald said he can tell the defensive end is healthy.

“He’s moving a lot better than he did when he came back, and I know he feels better,” Donald said, adding he’s noticed Long seems happier, too. “He’s back to feeling good because he’s the captain. He’s the leader of this defense and that’s the guy we need out there with us.”

Long's injury ended a streak of 97 consecutive games played, a mark Long said at the time meant a lot to him. But entering 2015, he has the opportunity to continue a new one with the same defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

“The continuity is awesome,” Long said. “It’s good to have him anyway, but when you have him two years in a row the young guys have the opportunity to grow in his scheme -- learn the scheme and master it. Now we’re not spending so much time trying to catch up in the summer.”

“I’m sure things will change here and there,” Long added. “But more than anything, it’s understanding the scheme like it’s second nature rather than something you just learned.”

At 30, Long has become one of the oldest players on the Rams roster. The designation comes with its benefits.

“I have the closest parking spot to the building -- that’s one of the big perks,” Long said with a smirk.

But as one of the veteran leaders of the club, Long sees it as his responsibility to set an example -- making sure the younger players know what he is capable of on the field.

“I am always trying to prove myself every day,” Long said. “My teammates have always had a lot of faith in me and have been supportive of me through the injury, because that was something I wasn’t used to. It’s been a tough process, but I’ve leaned on them. And I feel awesome to be back out there with them every day.

“I don’t take it for granted,” Long continued, “and I’m always looking to prove it.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
He seemed distracted, which is fine, I'm just not accustomed to it.

Needed to piss?

Also, he is so composed and well presented most of the time, but sometimes he picks his holes all interview.

You know the networks are going to snap him up the moment he retires.