Chip Kelly's violate & run

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ala Pete Carroll... another NCAA HC leaves their mess behind for the next administration while they bolt to lucrative contracts in the NFL...

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

"I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans," Kelly said in a statement released Wednesday, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties. As I have I stated before, the NCAA investigation and subsequent ruling had no impact on my decision to leave Oregon for Philadelphia."

An NFL spokesman told McLane on Wednesday, "We are not familiar with the details at this point and prefer not to comment."

The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid recruiting visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years and installed a show-cause order for Kelly. That means any school hoping to hire the coach away from the Eagles must appear before the NCAA infractions committee to "determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures," per The AP.

Oregon had been under investigation by the NCAA in connection to a $25,000 payment in 2010 to Willie Lyles and Complete Scouting Services, a Houston-based recruiting service. Lyles, at the time, had connections to an Oregon recruit. The NCAA found that Lyles provided free lodging and cash to a prospect.

The NCAA ruled that Kelly wasn't aware of Lyles' actions but pointed out that, as head coach, Kelly was responsible for ensuring his program was in compliance. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich was promoted to head coach in January after Kelly accepted the Eagles job.

Will this have any effect on Kelly's rebuilding project in Philly? Not for a second.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214880/article/chip-kellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ed-by-ncaa</a>

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would consider that penalty to be tiny slap on the wrist... Hell, maybe even a slap on the ass by a hot chick.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Yup...it's the Pete Carroll Shuffle.

And it's annoying that these guys can jump to the NFL without being called on the carpet. Goodell needs to handle these coaches with the same iron fist he uses on the players. After all, this kind of thing tarnishes the NFL's image too.

Psycho_X

Legend
Selassie I said:
I would consider that penalty to be tiny slap on the wrist... Hell, maybe even a slap on the ass by a hot chick.

Yeah, no kidding. probation and two scholarships? Ooooo, really putting it to them there NCAA lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
27 months and they found enough to slap his wrist. Yawn.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
HeiseNBerg said:
Yup...it's the Pete Carroll Shuffle.

And it's annoying that these guys can jump to the NFL without being called on the carpet. Goodell needs to handle these coaches with the same iron fist he uses on the players. After all, this kind of thing tarnishes the NFL's image too.

It's really the only way to get them because schools can't do it.....I agree that it makes the NFL look bad, as bad as what some of the players do. He should fine them and give the money to a fund that pays for education for non athletes that otherwise couldn't afford it. Make lemonade out of the lemons.

wv

Rookie
Stranger said:
Ala Pete Carroll... another NCAA HC leaves their mess behind for the next administration while they bolt to lucrative contracts in the NFL...

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

"I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans," Kelly said in a statement released Wednesday, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties. As I have I stated before, the NCAA investigation and subsequent ruling had no impact on my decision to leave Oregon for Philadelphia."

An NFL spokesman told McLane on Wednesday, "We are not familiar with the details at this point and prefer not to comment."

The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid recruiting visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years and installed a show-cause order for Kelly. That means any school hoping to hire the coach away from the Eagles must appear before the NCAA infractions committee to "determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures," per The AP.

Oregon had been under investigation by the NCAA in connection to a $25,000 payment in 2010 to Willie Lyles and Complete Scouting Services, a Houston-based recruiting service. Lyles, at the time, had connections to an Oregon recruit. The NCAA found that Lyles provided free lodging and cash to a prospect.

The NCAA ruled that Kelly wasn't aware of Lyles' actions but pointed out that, as head coach, Kelly was responsible for ensuring his program was in compliance. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich was promoted to head coach in January after Kelly accepted the Eagles job.

Will this have any effect on Kelly's rebuilding project in Philly? Not for a second.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214880/article/chip-kellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ed-by-ncaa</a>

Enh. This is a lot like the marijuana thing to me. I think the players should get paid if someone wants to pay them. Why should the coaches make a gazillion dollars while the players are risking their bodies on the grid-iron. I think the 'rules' are the problem.

A college player gets some money...and i'm supposed to think its bad...because ?

w
v

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
wv said:
Enh. This is a lot like the marijuana thing to me. I think the players should get paid if someone wants to pay them. Why should the coaches make a gazillion dollars while the players are risking their bodies on the grid-iron. I think the 'rules' are the problem.

A college player gets some money...and i'm supposed to think its bad...because ?

w
v

This^^^

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A55VA6 said:
I'm an Oregon Ducks fan, so it kind of sucks..

Me too but this is about as light of sanctions as we could have really hoped for.

A55VA6

Legend
RamFan503 said:
A55VA6 said:
I'm an Oregon Ducks fan, so it kind of sucks..

Me too but this is about as light of sanctions as we could have really hoped for.
Yeah I agree. Thank god we're still bowl eligible! haha