Chip Kelly and Bill Walsh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://fastphillysports.com/sports-illustrated-sees-chip-kellybill-walsh-similarity/

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SEES A CHIP KELLY/BILL WALSH SIMILARITY!
By Peter Gleason

XawL4tV.jpg

There is a real disconnect about how the local media and the national media regard Eagles’ coach Chip Kelly.

Some locals think he’s got the chops as coach but are still waiting to see how he does as a personnel man.

Hint: He has only had that job for four and a half months, and WIP’s Glen Macnow said on the air last Saturday that “he is afraid of Kelly as GM!”

Have another cheese steak Glen.

But Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bedard has gone way over the top in the current issue, comparing Kelly to the great Bill Walsh, who won three Super Bowls with the 49ers:

“Chip Kelly and Bill Walsh each entered the league with cutting-edge offensive systems that many pundits deemed too finesse-oriented or pass-happy to succeed.

“Leaping from Stanford to the 49ers in 1979, Walsh believed that his offensive scheme could make up for San Francisco’s talent shortcomings, but he quickly realized that the same could not be said on the other side of the ball. In his second and third drafts, after starting his pro career 2–14, Walsh spent 14 of his 22 picks on defensive players, with 13 of those coming in the first six rounds.

“Likewise, in his second and third drafts with the Eagles, Kelly (who likely subscribes to Walsh’s belief that he can scheme his way out of any offensive talent deficiencies) spent 10 of his 13 selections on the defensive side of the ball.

“No question, the innovation [Walsh and Kelly] have with their offenses and how to run a team are similar,” says former 49ers CEO and president Carmen Policy. “People scoffed at Bill at first, and continued to scoff at his West Coast offense even after the first Super Bowl. Yes, you see the same elements of Bill in Chip, but Bill was much better prepared with his NFL experience being with Paul Brown [on the Bengals’ staff for seven years].”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mFQvZxX88

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4k5L-04LSU

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Too early for that comparison and the Eagles might have screwed up in giving him personnel control. But there is no doubt in my mind he is a cutting edge offensive innovator like Walsh was.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I tend to agree. A bit early and Kelly doesn't have Montana / Young - playing or Carmen Policy cooking the books.

Nor an owner from Youngstown, Ohio that made his money in concrete.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah.... Just a wee bit early for those kinds of comparisons.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
There - fixed it for you.
OMG, now that was quite an accurate "fix". Having dealt with the power base in that part of the world, I can certainly say I was concerned about getting my own custom shoes :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And Carmen Policy has now been put in charge of the Chargers and Raiders effort to build a new stadium. This should get interesting.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This article is trash. The writer said:

Chip Kelly and Bill Walsh each entered the league with cutting-edge offensive systems that many pundits deemed too finesse-oriented or pass-happy to succeed.

Thats lightyears from the actual truth. For one thing Walsh was in the NFL for about a decade before becoming a HC, so he didn't enter the league with anything that could be called "cutting edge" lol. He was an unknown assistant and I doubt if any "pundits" even knew who the hell he was for several more years.

And the WCO that he pioneered was invented in Cincy out of necessity because of a QB with a popgun arm.

How doe this kind of crap get printed? Does ANYONE in the profession care at all about accuracy or has it just come down to clicks/pageviews. It's maddening to me that something like this gets on the web.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article is trash. The writer said:

Chip Kelly and Bill Walsh each entered the league with cutting-edge offensive systems that many pundits deemed too finesse-oriented or pass-happy to succeed.

Thats lightyears from the actual truth. For one thing Walsh was in the NFL for about a decade before becoming a HC, so he didn't enter the league with anything that could be called "cutting edge" lol. He was an unknown assistant and I doubt if any "pundits" even knew who the hell he was for several more years.

And the WCO that he pioneered was invented in Cincy out of necessity because of a QB with a popgun arm.

How doe this kind of crap get printed? Does ANYONE in the profession care at all about accuracy or has it just come down to clicks/pageviews. It's maddening to me that something like this gets on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)#Early_career

Bill Walsh coaching tree

Many former and current NFL head coaches trace their lineage back to Bill Walsh on his coaching tree, shown below. Walsh, in turn, belonged to the coaching tree of American Football League great and Hall of Fame coach Sid Gillman of the AFL's Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers and Hall of Fame coach Paul Brown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly#Coaching_tree

Chip Kelly is a member of the following coaching trees:

Team Served On

Coaching tree:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Mr Kelly, I served with Bill Walsh. I knew Bill Walsh. Bill Walsh was a friend of mine. Coach, you are no Bill Walsh..........

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it's cool to compare current coaches to legends. It's fun.

Walsh was an amazing coach. A true legend. An innovator.

Kelly... He's definitely off the beaten path and deserves some credit for his approach. He's different.

Isn't that what Walsh was?

Let's watch this play out.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hm similarity? I do hate Chip Kelly, but obviously nowhere near to the extent I hate that overrated wrinkly bastard that's rotting in hell. Best summation of Walsh is that he was so full of himself, his "do you know who i am?" schtick got him punched in the face in Lake Tahoe: http://lasvegassun.com/news/1998/jul/02/former-49er-coach-bill-walsh-gets-punched-in-tahoe/

If Chip reaches the arrogant, pompous, waste of life level that Walsh reached to get punched in the face, then I'll agree on a similarity. But until then, I'll be content pissing on Walsh's grave while mildly disliking Chip.

nighttrain

Legend
Too early for that comparison and the Eagles might have screwed up in giving him personnel control. But there is no doubt in my mind he is a cutting edge offensive innovator like Walsh was.
Maybe, have to see something first
train