Chiefs Sign OT Isaiah Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If we lost Battle now, wouldn't we have had the option to move him to the active roster first? In that case, we must have seen all we needed to see with him.

But I don't know how the offseason rules work as it relates to the PS.

True, although I would like the new HC to have been in place first - I also would have liked to see a new O-line coach on board too...

…..

Legend
So...Isiah Battle goes straight to a playoff roster? Thats not a bad deal for him.

Sucks for us, I feel like maybe we dropped the ball on this kid.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So...Isiah Battle goes straight to a playoff roster? Thats not a bad deal for him.

Sucks for us, I feel like maybe we dropped the ball on this kid.
No, he's not even on their practice squad.
IIRC a futures contract is basically an invite to next year OTA/TC

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This. I won't lose sleep over losing Isiah Battle given how underwhelming he was to date. But we knew he was extremely raw when we drafted him, he struggled with injuries this season, and our offensive line coaching appears suspect at best. They gave up on him a bit too fast, IMO.
I disagree, he was far from underwhelming, He Pancaked a few of our D-Linemen in TC, I would say that shows potential!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Shoot me...is he bad? Who knows...But if Andy Reid likes you, I at least wanna looksie...

…..

Legend
No, he's not even on their practice squad.
IIRC a futures contract is basically an invite to next year OTA/TC
Ahh...ok maybe i misread something. If thats the case, then he was not on the Rams roster at all?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I thought Battle was injured. So does that mean we lose him next year? Or he goes to their Training Camp next year, why didn't we sign him to that?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought Battle was injured. So does that mean we lose him next year? Or he goes to their Training Camp next year, why didn't we sign him to that?

Pretty sure he was on our practice squad and that means he's eligible to be signed by another team.

During the season he'd have to be added to the active roster. Not sure how the offseason works... but, I assume practice squad contracts expire and they become free agents.

manmaderam

The one and only
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question is why were we not trying to use him ( build him up).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Question is why were we not trying to use him ( build him up).
I think they thought they already had better on their roster.

They picked him up in the supplemental draft as a complete roll of the dice for competition. Meaning that if he worked out and really pushed someone, great, nice problem to have. But since he didn't, it was c'est la vie to a 5th round pick.

The real frustration I have isn't that he didn't work out, but rather that no matter how much they hedge their bets on offense, they always come up empty. It's either scouting or coaching ... or both, which is scary.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ahh...ok maybe i misread something. If thats the case, then he was not on the Rams roster at all?
Nope, he was only on the practice squad. Once the season ended, he was basically a free agent
This reserve deal is basically just an invite to OTA/TC and a chance to make the Chiefs next year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Would've been nice if we at least kept him for the new coaching staff to evaluate. Him developing nicely under Reid's tutelage will further warrant my disdain for Fisher's ineptitude on developing offenses.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Pretty sure he was on our practice squad and that means he's eligible to be signed by another team.

During the season he'd have to be added to the active roster. Not sure how the offseason works... but, I assume practice squad contracts expire and they become free agents.
I too believe he was on our PS!
And if I'm not mistaken, it is the Teams usual practice, as soon as off-season hits, to sign all practice squad members to the Roaster, to start the fill-up to 90 men!
So even IF KC made an offer, we could still sign Battle, he doesn't have to take the KC offer! Am I mistaken!?!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So even IF KC made an offer, we could still sign Battle, he doesn't have to take the KC offer! Am I mistaken!?!

Sure. But why would he take the Rams' offer? They showed no desire really to put him on the active roster. He's from the East Coast, so he feels no loyalty to LA. LA is expensive, KC is much less expensive - but league minimum is league minimum. KC's staff showed a desire to give him a real chance, something the Rams wouldn't currently, and which their new staff might or might not do. He might even feel a little fondness for Missouri, for all we know.

But the most important is that KC's coaching staff showed an interest in him. He wants a real shot - there was no guarantee of getting one in LA.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Battle wasn't a member of "The Rams" he was a PS player. Good grief