Chiefs Sign OT Isaiah Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

manmaderam

The one and only
http://nfltraderumors.co/chiefs-sig...i-nicolas-futures-deals-add-de-david-king-ps/

Chiefs Sign OT Isaiah Battle & LB Dadi Nicolas To Futures Deals, Add DE David King To PS
Nate Bouda 18 mins ago Chiefs, NFL Transactions 0 Comments

The Kansas City Chiefs officially signed OT Isaiah Battle and LB Dadi Nicolas to future/reserve contract on Tuesday and added DL David King to their practice squad.

• The Chiefs also released LB Darnell Sankey to make room for King.
Battle, 23, became the first player taken in a Supplemental Draft since the Browns used a second-round pick on Josh Gordon back in 2012 when the Rams used a 2015 fifth-round pick on him.

He’s been on and off of the Rams’ practice squad since entering the NFL.

Battle played in 27 career games and started 11 contests last season while playing more snaps than any other Clemson player (824).

During his time at Clemson, Battle served a suspension in 2013 for punching a player, and another last season for disciplinary reasons. Battle was also pulled over for speeding in early June and caught with marijuana. He received citations for both incidents but wasn’t charged or arrested in either case.

So much for building Battle up for the Oline next year!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO this is not a loss. He was another "project" player drafted that never developed, and we wasted a 5th round pick that could have been used elsewhere. He won't last in KC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He'll look really big in those Red Pants.

Ram65

Legend
He might have been a wasted pick but OTs are hard to find. It's worth the gamble without knowing the future.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's going to be real irritating when he ends up being a solid depth option for the Chiefs.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am pissed they used a 5th rd pick on him and didn't have the patience to try and develop him.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am ticked they used a 5th rd pick on him and didn't have the patience to try and develop him.

This. I won't lose sleep over losing Isiah Battle given how underwhelming he was to date. But we knew he was extremely raw when we drafted him, he struggled with injuries this season, and our offensive line coaching appears suspect at best. They gave up on him a bit too fast, IMO.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Our OLine was so bad that I can't even judge Battle based on what we saw. The dude was a stud in college. I'm pissed we let him go in the first place. Better fit for LT then Robinson.

manmaderam

The one and only
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. Feels like a lot put up front by the front office at the time and little reward. Especially when the built the hype around him. (And being here in Charlotte.) A lot of my Clemson friends were talking him up pretty good when he was on the field for them and not punching people lol.

So it will be upsetting to see him become good depth with the Chiefs like they said above.

However, with one less lineman on the chart, I wouldn't mind the Rams going to kick the tires on Ol' Johnathan Cooper like the Cowboys did. (They seem to know how to build an Oline)

He seems like a low risk high reward player.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I wished the rams got on him on the field more to see what he had but oh well...he was a 5th round pick that didn't turn out, which I assume is the majority for most 5th round draft picks...I'd like to see what an accomplished o-line coach like Mike Munchak or Aaron Kromer can do for our group of guys

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Our OLine was so bad that I can't even judge Battle based on what we saw. The dude was a stud in college. I'm ticked we let him go in the first place. Better fit for LT then Robinson.

No he isn't. IIRC, GR was a stud in college too.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That's so fucking stupid. What a waste of a pick, we didn't even try and keep him. If he plays well I'll be pissed.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
His name is awesome. Knowing our luck people who we thought were bad actually end up being good...

Debacled

Starter
Battle never even challenged for a roster spot let alone a starting spot. May be early to give up on him, but meh it was a 5th round pick. Later round draft picks are a crap shoot. Typically at the 5th round you're looking at a 10-20% success rate at best(that is players that become starters, not even good ones at that).

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I would have liked to hold onto all of our players until we get our new HC and new o-line coach and let them see what's wheat and chaff - this could come back to bite us. what I mean is our whole O-line has been poor, so why would depth players be any better - Battle showed potential in college, it may have been worth developing him (and our other o-liners) and sign them ALL up to the
L.Bentley's Offensive Line Performance school!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would have liked to hold onto all of our players until we get our new HC and new o-line coach and let them see what's wheat and chaff - this could come back to bite us. what I mean is our whole O-line has been poor, so why would depth players be any better - Battle showed potential in college, it may have been worth developing him (and our other o-liners) and sign them ALL up to the
L.Bentley's Offensive Line Performance school!!!

That my opinion too.

We've invested a lot of draft capital in the oline. We either picked subpar players, or the coaching and scheme aren't working.

Either way, I'd rather the new staff sort thru that... than lose players.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That my opinion too.

We've invested a lot of draft capital in the oline. We either picked subpar players, or the coaching and scheme aren't working.

Either way, I'd rather the new staff sort thru that... than lose players.

Just doesn't make sense on a business front - unless, **conspiracy theory coming up** the new HC has already penned the contract and we won't hear about it until after the SB... **end**

But you're right - we invested heavily in the o-line, and these guys should be able to be develop at the same speed, with the right coaching, and if better options come up in FA / draft then so be it - upgrade positions then, I hate being in the position of cutting players - THEN having to find replacements - I'd rather be in the position of UPGRADING first, then cutting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just doesn't make sense on a business front - unless, **conspiracy theory coming up** the new HC has already penned the contract and we won't hear about it until after the SB... **end**

But you're right - we invested heavily in the o-line, and these guys should be able to be develop at the same speed, with the right coaching, and if better options come up in FA / draft then so be it - upgrade positions then, I hate being in the position of cutting players - THEN having to find replacements - I'd rather be in the position of UPGRADING first, then cutting.

If we lost Battle now, wouldn't we have had the option to move him to the active roster first? In that case, we must have seen all we needed to see with him.

But I don't know how the offseason rules work as it relates to the PS.