Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid – Conference Call – October 22, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid – Conference Call – October 22, 2014

(On if the win in San Diego was a key win)
“You guys know this. It’s a key one that day, but the next day, then you have to get ready for the Rams. It was a good game but you get a plane ride to enjoy, then you got to get ready for a good football team coming in here. So, that’s where we’re at.”

(On RB Jamaal Charles and what he has that makes him special)
“He can do so many things for you. He’s obviously a good runner. He catches the football well and he’s a good route runner, he blocks. He can really do everything and he does it well. Takes a lot of pride in it, most of all.”

(On QB Alex Smith and how he’s playing)
“Alex is doing a good job for us. I really enjoy coaching him. He just kind of takes care of everything. He’s not only a good football player but, he can handle a lot of things. When you have a few young guys around him, he just makes sure everbodie’s right. It’s a tribute to him and his ability to do those type of things. He’s pitching the ball good and manning the offense well.”

(On TE Travis Kelce and what’s led to his strong play)
“We drafted him thinking he would contribute even as a rookie. Then we kind of lost a bunch of tight ends here real quick. We started camp last year thinking that was going to be a pretty strong position and then we had the injuries-Kelce was one of those that got hurt. So, he really didn’t play at all last year and then came back this year and has done a nice job. He’s healthy and had a year to kind of learn everything without having to be on the field, at least get a foundation there and took advantage of that.”

(On what kind of problems does he see from the Rams on both offense and defense)
“Well, they’re well-coached. I think (Rams Head Coach) Jeff Fisher does a phenomenal job along with his assistant coaches there. Then, they’ve got good players. Defensively, you’re looking at a team that’s fast and that plays with an urgency. He’s got them playing at a very high level. On the offensive side, they’re explosive. Anytime you can take a young quarterback like that and have him come in and play at the level that he’s playing at, first of all means he’s talented, but it also means you’re doing a heck of a job coaching him. Their runners are good, their receivers are good, their tight ends-everybody’s contributing there. Then, special teams, they’re scoring points too and making big plays. You got a good football team that you’ve got to get ready for. They throw a lot of things at you, offensively, defensively and on special teams. That’s been a Jeff Fisher trait over the years that he’s been a head coach.”

(On if he’s working on his fake punt defense this week)
“Got to stay as disciplined as you can for sure, because if you’re not then you get into trouble there.”

(On Rams’ QB Austin Davis and what he sees from him in terms of his assets)
“He’s accurate and gets the ball out. Looks like he’s managing things very well, everybody’s where they need to be. Looks like he’s hitting the right receivers. To me, I mean, I studied him when he came out, he’s a good football player. He’s transferred that from college into the NFL. He’s a football player, he gets it. That’s an impressive deal, I think. That’s a plus anytime your third guy can come in and do a great job. (Rams Offensive Coordinator) Brian (Schottenheimer) is a great coach too, so he’s lucky to be in good hands there, from an offensive standpoint.”

(On what it’s going to be like for him to see former Eagles QB Donovan McNabb this week in the analyst role)
“Yes, I always thought he’d be great at that. He never had a problem talking and speaking and communicating and all those things. He went to Syracuse which has a great program there that he graduated in. I’m proud of him for making the strides that he has in that profession. It’s always hard when you’re 30-plus years old and then you’ve got to start over. That’s a hard thing to do. He’s been able to do that now, he’s climbing the ladder there just like he did in the National Football League. I’m sure he’ll be at the top of his game here in no time. I’m excited to see him from a personal standpoint, excited to see him. He better say nothing but good things about us or I’m going to get after him a bit. ”

(On if he’s had anytime to watch any of the Kansas City Royals games)
“Yeah, we had it on the TV here in our office yesterday, last night. I had a chance to watch some of the playoff games in the office, during work. Very proud of those guys. We’re so close in proximity here, everybody knows everybody. I’m excited for them and they’ll do a good job here, I think. ”

(On how much of a benefit is it to play in a stadium with such a rabid fan base)
“It’s phenomenal. The sea of red is the sea of red. They’re loud and we appreciate that. We appreciate that support. They take a lot of pride in that.”

Chiefs QB Alex Smith — Conference Call — October 22, 2014

(On what challenges the Rams defense presents)
“They’re good. They’re extremely talented. When you look at the pressure they’ve been able to get the last few years, I know that this year the numbers are down, but certainly you can tell on the tape these guys have been able to get pressure and be disruptive within the pocket, fast on the back end. A group that flies around, knows what they’re doing, is aggressive, trying to dictate tempo. So a solid group. They do some unorthodox things, scheme wise, so it will be a good challenge for us.”

(On his experience with Kansas City has been like since he was traded)
“It’s been great. Now I feel like I’ve been here a while in football years, all last year. This is home. Just trying to really take that next step of what we did last year and see if we can build off it. Right now, the Rams coming to town and we’re back home, see if we can find a way to get to 4-3.”

(On what it’s been like working under the tutelage of Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid)
“It’s great. I think he’s such a great teacher of the game, especially on offense and quarterback play. He’s been around a lot of guys, different guys. Every single day you know what you’re getting. You come to work every single day, it’s a great environment to learn and get better and go out there and cut it loose. I’ve really enjoyed it.”

(On the environment the fans create at Arrowhead Stadium)
“We’ve broken the record in back-to-back years. I think we’ve got hands down, the best fans in the country, Chiefs Kingdom. Arrowhead’s such a special place to play. So, certainly, I think we look forward to getting back there and playing in front of our home fans. Definitely excited about it this week.”

(On if he’s ever wondered what would have happened in his career had he not suffered a concussion when he faced the Rams in 2012 as a member of the San Francisco 49ers)
“I don’t. I haven’t given it any thought to be totally honest. Schematically getting ready to play these guys and (Rams Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher, that was the last game I was getting ready play there (in San Francisco), obviously I remember that, but certainly has nothing to do with this game.”

(On what he sees from the Rams secondary)
“I think there’s certainly been some big plays made against them, at times, but they’ve had their hands full of plays as well. I think they’re a talented group back there. They fly around. They do a lot. They throw a lot at you, present a lot of different problems as far as a quarterback goes. They all move around and they’re fast. They play fast. I think that jumps out on film.”

(On his impression of QB Austin Davis’ play so far this season)
“To be honest, it’d be tough for me to comment on that. I haven’t watched enough. It’s hard on Sundays I haven’t been able to watch any of those games. Tough to say.”

(On if the Rams pressure will cause an emphasis on getting the ball out of his hands quicker)
“I think it just a part of offense. It’s tough to make a living if you’re going back and holding onto the football for a long, long time consistently. I don’t think anybody does it that’s good at offense. Certainly you’ve got to take some shots down field. But for the most part, no QB wants to sit back there and hold on to the ball certainly against a front like this. But you have to mix it up. Move the pocket, do all those different things to a good front.”

(On the Chiefs season so far)
“To be perfectly honest, when you’re in the middle of it, you don’t have time to reflect on your past. It was a big win last week bringing us back to 3-3 and that’s where we are. We’re coming back home and doing whatever we can to get to 4-3.”

(On Chiefs TE Travis Kelce’s emergence as a top target this season)
“Really, really good player. Young player. He’s extremely talented. Just been working hard and getting better and better every week. I think he continues to get a better understanding of the game and match-ups and leverage and things like that. The tight end’s a unique position, you present such different match-up problems in run and pass. You get a lot of different match-ups whether it be linebackers and safeties, and corners or smaller guys. Obviously, he’s a really talented kid. He’s got a lot ahead of him.”

(On being labeled a game manager)
“To be totally honest, I’m old enough, I don’t really care as long as we in. I could care less what they call me.”