Chiefs, 49ers near the bottom of the league in 2020 cap space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

It won’t be easy for this year’s Super Bowl participants to stay on top of the NFL.

The Chiefs rank 24th in the NFL in available cap space for 2020, with $16.1 million available to spend, while the 49ers rank 26th, with $13.9 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

For the Chiefs, the top offseason priority is likely to be a new contract for Patrick Mahomes. That contract can be structured in a way that doesn’t give him a huge cap hit for 2020 but given that his cap hit is currently slated to be just $5.2 million, his cap hit is likely to grow. The Chiefs also have some important players, such as defensive lineman Chris Jones and cornerback Bashaud Breeland, who are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents.

The 49ers have less cap space than the Chiefs and unrestricted free agents they’d like to re-sign including defensive end Arik Armstead, safety Jimmie Ward and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. Keeping their roster together won’t be easy. If the 49ers want to make the kind of radical move that Super Bowl teams rarely make, they could move on from quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s set to have a cap hit of $26.6 million in 2020, but the 49ers could save $22.4 million of that by getting rid of him.

Both Super Bowl teams have some tough decisions to make this offseason about keeping as much of their rosters together as they can while facing the realities of the salary cap.

TexasRam

Legend
From an outsider looking in, I would let Jimmy go. You could get that same production which was really not much in the postseason, by paying a lot of QB's peanuts.

If they loose Armstead or Sanders that would be a huge blow.

Ah, so nice to stew over.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It won’t be easy for this year’s Super Bowl participants to stay on top of the NFL.

The Chiefs rank 24th in the NFL in available cap space for 2020, with $16.1 million available to spend, while the 49ers rank 26th, with $13.9 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

For the Chiefs, the top offseason priority is likely to be a new contract for Patrick Mahomes. That contract can be structured in a way that doesn’t give him a huge cap hit for 2020 but given that his cap hit is currently slated to be just $5.2 million, his cap hit is likely to grow. The Chiefs also have some important players, such as defensive lineman Chris Jones and cornerback Bashaud Breeland, who are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents.

The 49ers have less cap space than the Chiefs and unrestricted free agents they’d like to re-sign including defensive end Arik Armstead, safety Jimmie Ward and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. Keeping their roster together won’t be easy. If the 49ers want to make the kind of radical move that Super Bowl teams rarely make, they could move on from quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s set to have a cap hit of $26.6 million in 2020, but the 49ers could save $22.4 million of that by getting rid of him.

Both Super Bowl teams have some tough decisions to make this offseason about keeping as much of their rosters together as they can while facing the realities of the salary cap.

Trading Garapolo would be a bold move. Some struggling franchise would likely be dumb enough to give the Niners at least, maybe two first round picks. He's not that good but the and owners get easily duped by the Super Bowl aura, plus the Belichick connection. I

It would be interesting if the Niners traded Garapolo back to the Patriots and then sign Tom Brady. I know Brady is showing signs of age but I wonder if his experience and a better supporting cast would bring him around for one last run.

Otherwise, who do they get? Case Keenum?

fearsomefour

Legend
From an outsider looking in, I would let Jimmy go. You could get that same production which was really not much in the postseason, by paying a lot of QB's peanuts.

If they loose Armstead or Sanders that would be a huge blow.

Ah, so nice to stew over.
I like their backup QB, Mullins, quite a bit actually.

fearsomefour

Legend
Trading Garapolo would be a bold move. Some struggling franchise would likely be dumb enough to give the Niners at least, maybe two first round picks. He's not that good but the and owners get easily duped by the Super Bowl aura, plus the Belichick connection. I

It would be interesting if the Niners traded Garapolo back to the Patriots and then sign Tom Brady. I know Brady is showing signs of age but I wonder if his experience and a better supporting cast would bring him around for one last run.

Otherwise, who do they get? Case Keenum?
Honestly this would be an ideal fit for Keenum.
He is mobile and can be protected (as Son of Rat is doing now with JG) with a great running game and strong defense.
So many quick tosses, screens, roll outs, misdirection and no read patterns.
This team could win 12 games with Keenum at QB.
JG has a much quicker release and a stronger arm but Keenum is better at recognizing and reading. There would be weeks Case would destroy with this roster and game plans.
All that said, the team could win the same number of games with Mullins at QB more than likely.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not a Jimmy G fan, but I think he is getting piled on right now. Sure, I am enjoying that...

But, seems a bit much considering he finished the year;
  • 3,978 yds
  • 27 TDs
  • 13 INT
  • 102 Rating

You can do a lot worse than that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

There is a 9er UFA that interests me. 32 yr old Ben Garland who was previously with Atlanta Falcons & Denver Broncos. Garland has spent his entire career as the top interior reserve OL'er for all his contracted teams. Ben will be entering his 7th season in the NFL. Garland has 66 NFL gms of experience with 13 starts @ RG/LG & Center. Garland started & finished the 9ers last 7 gms after center Richburg was injured.

Garland would make good sense due to him being an excellent blend of a experience versatile interior OL'er to the Rams 2020 OL. Garlands PFF Rating was 71.6 grade for his 2019 season. UFA Austin Blythe rating was 50.5 grade. I believe Garland can be signed for a 3 yr moderate lower end deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO the key for the 9ers is signing Armstead. When I watch their film that dude is consistently a straight beast in the run game and in the pass game. Edwards got schooled by him week 16 too btw.

In fact I would kill to have that dude as our 5T. But of course we won't be able to afford him either.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Chiefs, 49ers and Rams are virtualy in a dead heat for salary cap. But we have less draft picks.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's a reason why elite or loaded roster teams pay these QB's even if these QB's haven't proven to be elite QB's yet. If you don't pay them, you've got a Super Bowl ready team with a huge hole at QB. Having buku cap space doesn't necessarily help you fill that hole either, and if you struggle to fill that QB hole...you're wasting a window with a loaded roster.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
There is a 9er UFA that interests me. 32 yr old Ben Garland who was previously with Atlanta Falcons & Denver Broncos. Garland has spent his entire career as the top interior reserve OL'er for all his contracted teams. Ben will be entering his 7th season in the NFL. Garland has 66 NFL gms of experience with 13 starts @ RG/LG & Center. Garland started & finished the 9ers last 7 gms after center Richburg was injured.

Garland would make good sense due to him being an excellent blend of a experience versatile interior OL'er to the Rams 2020 OL. Garlands PFF Rating was 71.6 grade for his 2019 season. UFA Austin Blythe rating was 50.5 grade. I believe Garland can be signed for a 3 yr moderate lower end deal.

Yes, he caught my eye as well Bon. I'm not sure we land him on a low end contract though. He has reached a SB, granted he lost, but that will add to his value in some teams eyes. And even if he was willing to take a smaller contract, that would bring the Niners back into play I would think. I've given up hope that he is a potential Ram