Chicken wing shortage looms ahead of Super Bowl?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/01/ ... p=HPBucket

First it was bacon, now it's chicken wings. With less than two weeks to go before the big game, football fans may find it a bit harder to find their favorite Super Bowl snack.

The National Chicken Council released a report that said the demand for wings this year is at “an all-time high” due to decreased wing production caused by the high cost of corn and feed prices. Wings are currently the highest priced portion of a chicken and cost $2.11 a pound in the Northeast, up 12 percent from last year.

The organization has lowered the estimated number of wings to be consumed during Super Bowl weekend to 1.23 billion wing segments, 12.3 million less than last year. That's about 1 percent, says the council.

“Chicken companies produced about 1 percent fewer birds last year, due in large part to record high corn and feed prices,” Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council said in a release. “Corn makes up more than two-thirds of chicken feed and corn prices hit an all-time high in 2012, due to two reasons: last summer’s drought and pressure from a federal government requirement that mandates 40 percent of our corn crop be turned into fuel in the form of ethanol. Simply put, less corn equals higher feed costs, which means fewer birds produced.”

Americans are serious about their chicken wings. Second only to Thanksgiving, Super Bowl weekend is the biggest eating day of the year, and chicken wings are the most popular dish. To give you a picture of just how many wings fan will chow down on, The National Chicken Council says if those 1.23 billion chicken wing segments were laid end to end, they would stretch between the San Francisco 49ers Candlestick Park and the Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 27 times.

Last year, gastronomes were sent into a tizzy at the news of a possible shortage of another American comfort food stable: bacon. Due to rising food costs and drought, prices for bacon and other pork products are expected to rise as much as 10 percent this year, but chefs and home cooks breathed a collective sigh of relief as U.S. agricultural economists dismissed reports of a global bacon shortage.

As far as the wings are concerned Roenigk said you may have to pay more, but there will be wings aplenty --no matter who you're rooting for.

“The good news for consumers is that restaurants plan well in advance to ensure they have plenty of wings for the big game,” he said.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So can we finally pitch this idiotic notion of producing fuel with corn? My wing prices have gone up 22% in the last 14 months! And along with them to a slightly lesser extent every other protein. But at least we use more energy to produce ethanol than it returns. This is a bunch of politicians - esp. the Sec. of Ag (from Iowa) taking care of their corn producing buddies while acting like they are working on alternative energy sources. Meanwhile, the consumer gets hosed on all fronts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
So can we finally pitch this idiotic notion of producing fuel with corn? My wing prices have gone up 22% in the last 14 months! And along with them to a slightly lesser extent every other protein. But at least we use more energy to produce ethanol than it returns. This is a bunch of politicians - esp. the Sec. of Ag (from Iowa) taking care of their corn producing buddies while acting like they are working on alternative energy sources. Meanwhile, the consumer gets hosed on all fronts.

You got that right!

Any ethanol requirements/incentives should be SCRAPPED after last summer.

If I had time I'd dig up an article that predicted this would happen.

Where is Obama's care for the middle class on this one?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've been a critic of this entire Ethanol scam from the get go and this was one of the main reasons, causing all foods to go up in price. Just pisses me off to no end. Kinda like them putting my favorite cereal on the WIC voucher list. Every time I go to the store now to buy LIFE cereal, they are sold out because it is being gobbled up by the WIC voucher holders. The other day, they finally had it so I couldn't resist. I bought every box on the shelf! I'm flush in cereal for about six weeks. :sly: :sly: :sly: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :hehe:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Coming from an environmental major...shoving food down in our cars for gas is fuckin stupid. There's options out there...just need full scale. Biofuel is just one option...

Oh and I never order out on Super Bowl. One time I ordered a pizza at like 5, it came around 8.

Homemade ftw

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
I've been a critic of this entire Ethanol scam from the get go and this was one of the main reasons, causing all foods to go up in price. Just pisses me off to no end. Kinda like them putting my favorite cereal on the WIC voucher list. Every time I go to the store now to buy LIFE cereal, they are sold out because it is being gobbled up by the WIC voucher holders. The other day, they finally had it so I couldn't resist. I bought every box on the shelf! I'm flush in cereal for about six weeks. :sly: :sly: :sly: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :hehe:

My grocery store always has an abundance of LIFE cereal.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

My grocery store always has an abundance of LIFE cereal.

Mine too until they put it on the WIC list. But like I said, I have a strategy for that now.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Ramhusker said:

Great story bro I would have dine the same. I'm just a productive stoner gym rat.. no issues w/ wings or LIFE cereal original, cinnamon or brown sugar . :mrgreen:

Homer Simpson Aaaarrggghhh donuts drooling picture. On my phone can't upload unless someone knows of an app, flash or adobe upgrade I need.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRambo said:
Ramhusker said:

Great story bro I would have dine the same. I'm just a productive stoner gym rat.. no issues w/ wings or LIFE cereal original, cinnamon or brown sugar . :mrgreen:

Homer Simpson Aaaarrggghhh donuts drooling picture. On my phone can't upload unless someone knows of an app, flash or adobe upgrade I need.
Get the Tapatalk app. Easy to upload pics, and it's like 3 beans to purchase.

First it was bacon, now its chicken wings. With less than two weeks to go before the big game, football fans may find it a bit harder to find their favorite Super Bowl snack. I must say that Super Bowl mania is the reason behind all of this and I know it's super obvious. It isn’t exactly time to panic, but it is time to be aware if one plans to have chicken wings on the menu for the Super Bowl. A chicken wing shortage is being reported, as this year’s drought has depleted feed stock and the number of chickens available for use as wings. Check more

[warning]-Removed the obvious spam link
because the Super Bowl isn't two weeks away
you fucking twit bot.
- BlueCoconuts[/warning]