Checking in on Steven Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...+running+game+with+healthy/9885877/story.html

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Mike Smith knows his Falcons finished last in the NFL in rushing last season. The coach just has a difficult time saying the words.

“We were a number I don’t even want to talk about in terms of where we were statistically,” Smith said Wednesday, the second day of the team’s organized team activities.

The ugly numbers — 77.9 yards rushing per game and 32nd in the league in rushing — played big roles in Atlanta’s disappointing 4-12 finish.

In his first season in Atlanta, running back Steven Jackson missed four games with a hamstring injury. Jackson said he doesn’t want to be known as the running back on the league’s worst rushing attack.

“Definitely by no means do we want to be known for that and we don’t want to have another year like that,” Jackson said.

A healthy Jackson says the top item on his to-do list is an improved running game in 2014.

Jackson, who will be 31 when the 2014 season opens, ran for only 543 yards and six touchdowns. That ended a streak of eight straight 1,000-yard seasons with the Rams.

The Falcons added competition for Jackson by selecting Florida State running back Devonta Freeman in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

Other important additions for the running game were the first-round pick, offensive tackle Jake Matthews, and free-agent addition Jon Asamoah.

In Wednesday’s practice, Jackson was running behind a first-team offensive line that included Matthews at right tackle and Asamoah at right guard.

Offensive co-ordinator Dirk Koetter said he doesn’t believe Jackson’s decline in 2013 was about the running back turning 30.

“There’s enough statistical data out there that there’s something to 30-plus running backs,” Koetter said. “With that said, Steven Jackson is a freak of nature. Because we didn’t run well, everybody blames the running back first. Trust me, as somebody who has studied it a lot, it’s not always the running back’s fault when you don’t run the ball well.

“He always keeps himself in great shape. I haven’t been around a whole lot of guys who do a better job of taking care of their body and staying in shape.”

Koetter said newcomers on the offensive line are “the main thing” for an improved ground game. Mike Tice was hired as the new offensive line coach.

“I think the adjustments we made, the guys we added up front, the addition of coach Tice and my ability to do what I can and stay healthy — I think we’ll be quite all right,” Jackson said.

Smith, who has made “bigger and stronger” the team’s off-season priority, said starting left tackle Sam Baker looks bigger.

“I think Sam is moving around extremely well,” Smith said. “He’s gotten stronger, he’s gotten bigger. I think it’s very noticeable. You look at our team and what they’ve done in the off-season in term of body weight. Body weight is up and fat is down and that’s a positive.”

Smith said there is a renewed emphasis on a strong running game to complement the passing attack led by quarterback Matt Ryan and receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White.

“I believe this: It’s a quarterback-driven league,” Smith said. “There’s no doubt about it. You’ve got to be efficient at throwing the football. You’re going to go as your quarterback goes.

“But there are times where you know that you have to run the football and they know you have to run the football and you’ve got to be able to do it efficiently and effectively.”

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like this year might be Stevens last. Well, unless he just doesn't want to give up football.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Love Jackson, I still have his jersey hanging next to Faulk's in my house. He has a ton of hard miles on him and it showed last year. Nobody fought harder for this team than Jackson during his time in horns.

His legacy lyes with the horrid teams of the late 2000's Rams. That's a bitter shame. I hope he can reforge that brand, but not at the expense of Rams. ATL will not rise against the powerhouse defenses in the NFC. Same goes with New Orleans.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“I believe this: It’s a quarterback-driven league,” Smith said. “There’s no doubt about it. You’ve got to be efficient at throwing the football. You’re going to go as your quarterback goes.

“But there are times where you know that you have to run the football and they know you have to run the football and you’ve got to be able to do it efficiently and effectively.”

There is some truth in this, but it also demonstrates the difference in philosophy between Smith and Fisher.

And in Smith, there is a big reason the Falcons have always folded in the playoffs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Steven Jackson is one of my favorite players of all time. I hope he does well this coming season, possibly the best person on and off the field in the NFL. Sucks that he's cursed and it seems he will never be able to have success. He's definitely a Rams legend, and I'm still rooting for him, unless he plays us.

FRO

Legend
What a waste of a career. I feel bad for the guy. He didn't deserve this.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steven Jackson is one of my favorite players of all time. I hope he does well this coming season, possibly the best person on and off the field in the NFL. Sucks that he's cursed and it seems he will never be able to have success. He's definitely a Rams legend, and I'm still rooting for him, unless he plays us.

^ this is my take too. SJ was an amazing ambassador for the Rams through some really bad years of management.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
There is some truth in this, but it also demonstrates the difference in philosophy between Smith and Fisher.

And in Smith, there is a big reason the Falcons have always folded in the playoffs.

It's still won and lost in the trenches unless the defenses stayed home. Even then, the defensive factor played a huge role. Very true...

…..

Legend
I'm in Atlanta and I am not hearing alot of concerns regarding running the ball. The general consesus here is that the Falcons are way behind in the trenches and most knowledgeable fans know that until you get your big uglies situated, the rest is mute conversation.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm in Atlanta and I am not hearing alot of concerns regarding running the ball. The general consesus here is that the Falcons are way behind in the trenches and most knowledgeable fans know that until you get your big uglies situated, the rest is mute conversation.

Matthews helps their passing game, primarily. But hey, they already had that. I agree with their consensus.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He never would have signed there if Lacy was in the fold. As much as he's had some bad luck as a player, it's his own fault that he demanded to be a feature back. He could have stayed in St. Louis if he wasn't so dead-set on not sharing the ball.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
SJ IMO is done but he keeps himself in such great shape it's hard to accept, Eddie George was pretty well the same way.
I think Atlanta's record last year was no fluke and they had too many holes to fill ,I doubt they make the playoffs and expect Smith will be fired .

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't know about that. Even if they had signed SJ, wasn't he 29 last year? Packers have a track record for planning ahead so Lacy might have still been the pick. At his age and with his mileage, he wasn't really in a position to demand being the bell cow. And it proved true right away in Atlanta. The Rams were smart in forcing his hand but he still could have come back under better terms for the team. Good for SJ fleecing Atlanta. I don't begrudge him getting a big paycheck. But it's kind of ironic that as much of a team player as he's been in his career that he'd get selfish at the end.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Steven Jackson just isn't a winning RB in this league. It all comes down to wins and losses, and therefore he's just no good. A winning RB elevates the players around him, and Jackson didn't do that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or play on redundant field ("The Frozen Tundra")

moklerman

Warner-phile
Can't say that I enjoy being cold but if I had to make a choice, I'd have to think long and hard about the humidity and heat in Atlanta. I can put on a jacket to get warm, not sure there's much relief from 100+ degrees and 100% humidity.