Check out the big brain on Barrett Jones...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
IJGb4ft.png

From Alabama Media Relations:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Barrett Jones was named the 2013 Capital One Division I Academic All-America of the Year on Thursday as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

Jones is the second overall and second straight Alabama student-athlete (Brooke Pancake, women's golf) to be selected as the Capital One Academic All-America of the Year. He is also the first football player to win the award at the Division I level since Utah's Alex Smith in 2004-05. The award was first presented in 1988.

A graduate student who completed his degree with a perfect 4.0 G.P.A., Jones was a very versatile offensive lineman who started for three national championship teams at Alabama at three different positions. In 2012, he was the center for a team that posted a 13-1 record and beat Notre Dame in the national championship game.

Jones was a four-time selection as a member of the Capital One Academic All-America® football team and earned first team honors in 2010, 2011 and 2012. He was also a second team selection in 2009. A two-time selection as a consensus first team All-American.

Jones started 50 games during his standout career along the Tide's offensive front. He made 25 starts at guard, 11 at tackle and 14 at center. In 2012, he was named as the winner of the Rimington Trophy, presented to the top center in the nation. In 2011, he was honored as the winner of the Outland Trophy which is given to the top interior lineman in the nation.

He was honored as the winner of the 2012 William V. Campbell Award, which recognizes an individual as the absolute best in the country for his academic success, football performance and exemplary community leadership. Jones also won the McWhorter Award, which is presented to the top Scholar-Athlete in the SEC as well as the 2011 Wuerffel Trophy and the 2011 ASA Sportsmanship Award.

A native of Germantown, Tenn., Jones earned his undergraduate degree in accounting in only three years and graduated in 2011 with a perfect 4.0 grade-point average. He earned his Master's degree in accounting in December of 2012 with a 4.0 G.P.A.

During his playing career, he helped Coach Nick Saban's Crimson Tide post a phenomenal 49-5 record as Alabama won all four bowl games, including three BCS national championship contests. He was a fourth round draft pick by the St. Louis Rams in the 2013 NFL draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good for him. You don't see that many student-athletes put as much care into their classes as they do with their sports, so it's really refreshing to see Barrett do just that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Memento said:
Good for him. You don't see that many student-athletes put as much care into their classes as they do with their sports, so it's really refreshing to see Barrett do just that.

Couldn't agree more. Love hearing when the players put as much effort into there academics as they do their sports occupation. I think Jones will be our future starting center for years to come, and love that we got him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thats also one of the reasons that he would make one hell of a center to make those OL calls & help Sam!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
Thats also one of the reasons that he would make one hell of a center to make those OL calls & help Sam!
:plus1:

iced

Snead said one of the big reasons they were high on him was because his last season in college he never missed an assignment

Volnerman08

Rookie
I can't wait to see how he plays after putting some muscle on. One of my good friends is a huge Alabama fan and he thinks once he bulks up in the NFL that we'll have a hell of a center or guard.

paceram

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
albefree69 said:
He's got the brains already and now he just needs the brawn.

We got one hell of a O-line coach to get him there.

I think Jones will end up being an All-Pro Center for the Rams for many years! A great player and maybe even more importantly he sure seems like a great person!