Chat with Jim Thomas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.aspx?Id=121240&Page=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.a ... 240&Page=0</a>

Hello Jim--If the Rams were to run the pistol offense, do they have the right personnel to do it? Thanks.
by Bopat from SoCal June 11 at 4:30 PM

Starting with the quarterback, no.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:30 PM

hey jim, are the rams dissatisfied at this point with the current situation at safety? if tj mcdonald struggles they could be in big trouble.
by jay from ct June 11 at 4:30 PM

No, they appear to be satisfied. Don't forget Rodney McLeod. He's looked good in the OTAs I have attended, and has the kind of range you need at free safety.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:31 PM

Jeff Fischers celebrity softball game was a blast! We are going to make it a yearly trip.
by t-bone June 11 at 4:31 PM

I didn't attend this year's event, but I did last year. And it was a fun evening.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:32 PM

Odds Zac Stacy is our every down back?
by ZacStacyFanClubPres June 11 at 4:32 PM

I'm not sure there will be an every-down back. I really think this will be by committee.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:33 PM

Is Jones taking reps at center or guard?
by Peter South June 11 at 4:33 PM

I haven't seen him take any reps. I think he's still recovering from the foot surgery.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:34 PM

What is your projection for the rams depth chart at RB?
by joey June 11 at 4:35 PM

I really don't have one at this point. I think it's as wide-open as can be.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:35 PM

based on what you've seen so far, can you guess who'll have the best year at receiver?
by Rob June 11 at 4:35 PM

Based on what I've seen, Austin Pettis has been the best WR this spring. Cook and Austin have looked good. Givens, Quick have had their moments.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:36 PM

how are the linebackers looking as a group?
by jay rob June 11 at 4:36 PM

I guess good. It's hard to make sweeping judgements watching a handful of practices, and practices with no pads on at that. I'm writing about first-rounder Alec Ogletree for tomorrow.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:37 PM

I think fisher and the gang really liked the fact that Zac Stacy ran a bit of the wildcat and chucked a few passes down field at Vandy. What say you Jim?
by p james June 11 at 4:38 PM

I'll say this: Fisher has never been shy about running trick plays.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:38 PM

Jim, do you think the Rams will become a very aggressive team on offense and have a style similar to what Bradford ran at Oklahoma? I think the team has an opportunity to be much approve on offense if (that's a BIG if) the receivers improve.
by J Carroll June 11 at 4:38 PM

I think it's leaning that way. And that would seem to be the best way to utilize the personnel on hand.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:39 PM

What's the situation with Rok?
by 28-Blast June 11 at 4:40 PM

Here's a link to the story I wrote on him last week: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.stltoday.com</a>
by jthomas June 11 at 4:42 PM

Jim, which offensive set do you think we will see the more of? 2WR-2TE-1RB, 3WR-1TE-1RB? I've been hearing a lot of good things about both cook and kendricks being on the field to create mismatches, but find it hard to take one of Tavon, Givens, Pettis, or Quick off the field so much for kendricks.
by danielb3223 June 11 at 4:42 PM

Keep in mind, Kendricks could be in the backfield more this year lined up like a fullback. He blocked pretty well there last year.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:43 PM

Is benny cunningham healthy yet or is he still on the side lines
by Jay Jay Stanford June 11 at 4:43 PM

He's not 100 percent.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:44 PM

Your first impressions on the 6'10 monster of a RT? Situational guy or potential starter down the road?
by @207etc June 11 at 4:44 PM

I have seen him do very little. Maybe he makes the practice squad.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:45 PM

who's been getting the punt return/kickoff reps in practice?
by kman June 11 at 4:48 PM

I've seen Tavon Austin, Isaiah Pead, and Nick Johnson back there.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:49 PM

What are your thoughts on ray ray? do you think he will contribute as a linebacker this year? Thanks Jim
by joey June 11 at 4:49 PM

He hasn't been running with the first two units that I've seen. And that's basically where he'll need to be to make the 53-man roster.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:50 PM

Hard Knocks: tell me there has been some form of dialogue between HBO/ rams brass? Obviously alot of potential with negative given the youth of the team, but seems like a perfect fit for both sides, getting exposure for the rams and HBO profiles a young, ascending team. Or are we not allowed to know anything..
by @207etc June 11 at 4:51 PM

FIsher is not a Hard Knocks kind of guy.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:51 PM

How many wide outs and running backs will we carry on the roster this year?
by Fred June 11 at 4:51 PM

The usual numbers are 5 or 6 wide receivers and four running backs.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:52 PM

Do you really think that Radio City Music Hall was putting on an Easter Show (which is never the same day every year) or was that an NFL-funded event so that the NFL draft could be conveniently moved to May?
by Tackleberry June 11 at 4:52 PM

Well, there's no doubt that the NFL wants to keep the draft in May. They're obsessed with having a "big event" even in each month if possible. If the TV ratings are there next year, I think it'll move to May on a permanent basis.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:54 PM

hows Janoris doing? hes been quiet, which i guess is a good thing for him..lol
by kman June 11 at 4:54 PM

How much are you seeing Tavon in the backfield. I would imagine he will be there a lot ... even if he gets the ball only 20% of the time ...
by jeffinutah June 11 at 4:56 PM

He's looked very good. Quick feet, very good closing skills, had an interception of Sam Bradford during a red zone drill today.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:56 PM

I haven't noticed Tavon in the backfield. Now keep in mind, about half the OTA sessions are closed to the media, so maybe he's taking his handoffs there.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:57 PM

Rank these 3 according to speed: Austin Pettis, Brian Quick and Jared Cook
by @207etc June 11 at 4:58 PM

I would say Cook, Quick, PEttis.
by jthomas June 11 at 4:58 PM

I hate to even ask about next year's draft. But do the Rams have the standard allotment of picks?
by Ruj1982 June 11 at 4:58 PM

They have the extra 1st-round pick from Washington. And I think they have a good chance to get one or two compensatory picks because of free agent losses this past offseason. I think that's it.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:08 PM

I guess since you answered my only non O-line question already, I'll stick with the O-line in my requests. I wonder if Tim Barnes is on the outside looking in now that we have 2 centers in Wells and Jones, and a full rotation of other interior line mates in Williams, Watkins, Dahl and Washington/Smith.
by dbcouver June 11 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, barring injury, it looks like it will be tough for Barnes to make the final 53, particularly if the Rams keep only 9 o-linemen.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:10 PM

I know it's early but looking at tavon austin and just his speed and shiftiness are you blown away? I mean does he stand out compared to everyone else?
by jay from ct June 11 at 5:11 PM

His shiftiness is really what catches my eye. Am I blown away by it? Not necessarily. I mean, I've watched some great wide receivers play for the Rams over the years. And the real question w/regards to Austin is will defensive backs be blown away by his speed and quickness.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:13 PM

Who's the player most likely on the roster to reach 1000 yards either on the ground or in receiving?
by Jim June 11 at 5:13 PM

I'd say, based on his rookie year, Chris Givens.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:14 PM

Is there any chance that Mikell comes back this year?
by mike June 11 at 5:14 PM

I think it's still possible. But if he came back here, it would be knowing that he probably would enter camp as a backup.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:15 PM

Your guess as to who will have more impact this year..Quick or Pead?
by JPD June 11 at 5:15 PM

Quick.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:15 PM

Who leads the team in sacks and tackles?
by Jb June 11 at 5:16 PM

Easy. Laurinaits (tackles). Quinn or Long (sacks). If I had to pick one, I'd say Long.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:16 PM

I know a lot of people are hyping Rok Watkins at guard, but in the few instances I saw him, his pass protection seemed highly suspect. What's the coaches and scouts feeling about his pass pro, and is Chris Williams a safer bet at that position? Also, I liked McCleod's energy and coverage ability last year - any chance he is being considered starter material for safety over Stewart?
by George June 11 at 5:17 PM

Pass pro was the concern about Watkins coming in. We'll see how he does with his new-improved physique and conditioning. As for safety, the job is Stewart's to lose.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:18 PM

Hi JT-after reading the article about the upcoming "Camp Braford"-I'm wondering who foots the hotel. food, traveling bills, etc for the Receivers? If Sam pays the Hotel bill-that tells me that he is the ultimate team player-or does he get reimbursed by the Rams?
by ScottyD June 11 at 5:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Bradford foots the bill.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:19 PM

well, is Austin blowing by our DB's in OTA's? Anyone else? Offense should be dominating 7 on 7, no pads
by jeffinutah June 11 at 5:19 PM

Austin has been tough to cover this spring.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:20 PM

what safeties are running with the 1's
by jay rob June 11 at 5:20 PM

WIth Stewart sidelined, it has been McDonald and McCleod working with the 1s.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:21 PM

Will our committee in the backfield prevent us from having a 1000 yard rusher? If not is there a chance that one of the backs rises above the others and obtains the feat? Any guesses who it'd be?
by Jim June 11 at 5:21 PM

I think that's probably true _ no 1,000-yard rusher in camp because of committee approach.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:23 PM

glad to hear he has been "tough to cover" .... Have you considered running for political office? lol
by jeffinutah June 11 at 5:23 PM

I've watched three OTA practice sessions this spring and one rookie minicamp. And I'm looking at 90 players. So you're not going to get hard-and-fast generalizations from me in June about players wearing pajamas (no pads). That would be stupid.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:25 PM

Is austin pettis running in this slot again this year? I would imagine it'll be tough to get reps from that spoy with tavon and cook.
by rmnation June 11 at 5:29 PM

He's played in both the slot and outside.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:31 PM

Where is Stan Kroenke's 'home office'? And has he made any public comments about the rams since the press conference for Fisher/Snead?
by @207etc June 11 at 5:32 PM

It seems to be Denver. And no, to my knowledge, he has made no public comments about the team since then other than a few odds and ends after games.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:33 PM

How does Ganaway look? How does he compare with Stacy thus far?
by pictrmpt June 11 at 5:34 PM

Ganaway looks pretty quick, especially for someone who weighs 240 pounds. Like Stacy, Ganaway looks like more of a between the tackles runner. Stacy looks a little more polished of a pass catcher at this point.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:36 PM

What's a realistic thought on Baileys contribution in his rookie season? Is he a possible starter down the road?
by David Campbell June 11 at 5:36 PM

As good as Pettis has looked this spring, Bailey looks like the 5th wideout in 2013, which may not lead to much playing time. He certainly looks like he had good enough hands to be a starter at some point.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:37 PM

Do you think that Ogletree will be moved around on Defense?
by RamsJersey June 11 at 5:38 PM

At this point, no. He's the left outside linebacker.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:38 PM

which former player will the rams miss most this season, Jackson, Amendola or Mikell
by vaone June 11 at 5:38 PM

I still think it'll be Jackson, based on his production, his leadership, and his pass-blocking prowess. Saying that, if Amendola plays 16 games for the Patriots, he'll catch 90 passes.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:39 PM

How many games into the season before we start "expecting" the offense to score rather than "hoping" they score? Or, does it even happen this year?
by Tom R June 11 at 5:39 PM

I think the offense will be better this year. But if there's a breakout year, I think it's 2014.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:40 PM

To date, what do see as the biggest surprise in the OTA's so far.
by Ramman59 June 11 at 5:40 PM

I'd say Austin Pettis.

Is this the year a rams player becomes fantasy relevant and if so, is it Jared Cook, Chris Givens or Sam Bradford?
by @207etc June 11 at 5:40 PM

Those are the three most likely candidates as we sit here today. I think I'd pick Bradford, just because I think the Rams will spread the ball around some.

how long before the offense puts it together and starts clicking... week 5 or week 10
by vaone June 11 at 5:41 PM

I'd say more like Week 10 than Week 5.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:42 PM

Do any of the quartebacks beside Sam, look like keepers?
by Ramman59 June 11 at 5:43 PM

Davis looked good today. He throws well on the run.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:43 PM

JT, do you think Bradford is more comfortable being the leader of the offense with SJ gone. I think Bradford was kind of uncomfortable taking that role with SJ in the huddle.
by Keith June 11 at 5:44 PM

There could be something to that.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:44 PM

I always get a little confused when I hear --insert defensive or offensive lineman-- has looked good in OTAs. What can you gather about a lineman's ability from practice without pads?
by alit June 11 at 5:44 PM

Not much. It's almost impossible to get a good read on the linemen, particularly the o-linemen, this time of year.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:45 PM

Jim Is this the fastest group of Ram receivers that you have been around? GO RAMS
by ramsfan1974 June 11 at 5:47 PM

It's pretty close. You've got the Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl group of '99, '00, etc. But a few years later, Bruce Holt, Proehl, McDonald, Curtis. Those would be comparable to this group.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:50 PM

They say we will again be the youngest team in the NFL, what is the average age difference between the youngest and the oldest team?
by Fred June 11 at 5:52 PM

Just so happens that ESPN's Mike Sando, who tracks this information like no other, is at Rams Park today. According to Mike's research, the Rams were the youngest team in the league last year at 26.4 years of age, and Detroit was the oldest at 28.2. Two years per player may not seem like a lot, but spread over a 53-man roster, it is.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:54 PM

I know its early, but whats your take on cody davis?
by joey June 11 at 5:54 PM

Haven't watched him that much. With the injury to Stewart, however, he has been running with the 2s.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:55 PM

Hey Jim thanks for answering our questions. What are the chances we actually need Shelly Smith this year on the interior rotation? What about Brandon Washington? I had high hopes for him when we picked him up, is there a chance he makes the final 53 this year?
by dbcouver June 11 at 5:55 PM

Right now, he and Chris Williams have been getting the reps with the starters at left guard. Brandon Washington has yet to dent the top two units on the offensive line. I'd say Washington's a longshot to make the final 53.
by jthomas June 11 at 5:56 PM

Do you see the Rams making a move for any of the veteran free agent RB's?
by Dookstank June 11 at 6:00 PM

I do not. I think they're content to stick with the youngsters at this point.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:01 PM

How many TE's are we gonna keep, I'd like to see a wide body as a blocker -how about that free agent invitee from Auburn-I like him in college...
by sippa June 11 at 6:01 PM

I think when all is said and done, it'll probably be four TEs on the final roster.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:02 PM

With three first round picks, I'm a little awed by the pedigree of the Rams' DLine. As second and third contracts come up, will the team be able to keep them all under the salary cap?
by bfulton June 11 at 6:06 PM

BFULTON: For some reason I've had problems calling up your questions today. But on the contract status of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, Wilson's current contract doesn't expire until after the 2015 season. Kaepnernick's current contract expires after 2014. As for elaboration on the WRs, I don't think I've seen the group enough to go into great detail. But Tavon Austin does look very impressive. Based on the guys he's going against on the practice field, and keep in mind Finnegan and Johnson aren't practicing, Austin has been tough to get a hand on coming off the line of scrimmage. Quick was great late last week. But he was so-so today. Couldn't hang onto some catchable balls in traffic. Austin Pettis has really been eye-opening this week and last. It's clear Bradford has a lot of confidence in him particularly in the red zone.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:20 PM

Off subject, but did you ever know the great sports writer for the LA Herald Examiner...Bud Furillo???
by California rams Fan forever June 11 at 6:20 PM

I did not.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:20 PM

Jim - Thanks for doing these chats, we really appreciate it. The off-season moves have certainly re-made the offense, but it seems a lot to expect a 'breakout' year in 2013. There are just too many young (and new) players. I expect a lot of excitement at times, but also a lot of inconsistency. 2014 looks like a better bet for a breakout year by the offense. What do you think?
by cdfunk June 11 at 6:21 PM

I agree. Maybe the Rams _ the offense in particular _ surprise us in 2013 and have that breakthrough year. But it would be a lot to expect, particularly with the young players at the skill position. I think 2014, with another year of experience in this offense and with another good offseason could be it.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:24 PM

Who leads the teams in receptions, receiving yards?
by David Campbell June 11 at 6:24 PM

I'll guess Cook in receptions, Givens in reception yards.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:25 PM

Do you expect Quick to fall below A Pettis on the depth chart?
by massimo June 11 at 6:25 PM

Interesting question. I've wondered that myself lately, based on what I've seen on the practice field in OTAs. And if Pettis is in the starting lineup, it wouldn't be at the expense of GIvens, or T. Austin.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:27 PM

I know it's early, but in terms of red zone receivers, will Cook be the go to guy?
by Mike June 11 at 6:27 PM

Any noticeable changes with the new DC on board in the OTAs?
by Mike June 11 at 6:27 PM

MIKE: Sorry two of your questions came up at once. As for DC, nothing that I've really noticed so far other than the left linebacker, right linebacker approach on the outside. As for red zone receiver, there's no doubt Cook will be looked at long and hard. So will Pettis. And Quick still has a lot of potential there.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:28 PM

Hey Jim, Why are your chats left off the IPAD app but included in the iPhone version?
by STLSCOTT June 11 at 6:28 PM

I'm a low-tech guy, so I really have no idea what you're talking about. But if Mike Smith is on here, maybe he can help.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:29 PM

I think our young RB crew is very talented, but i am concerned about the lack of experience, SJ picked up a blitzer that could have hit sam several times, on the job training for our youngsters?
by lefton June 11 at 6:29 PM

Blitz pickup always is a major concern with young running backs. Most feature backs in college don't do much blocking. Sjax developed into a very good pass blocker over the years. And keep in mind, Pead and Richardson in particular are about 40 pounds lighter than Jackson. So yes, it will be on-the-job training for the youngsters.
by jthomas June 11 at 6:31 PM

Is it fair to say that Wilson and Kaepernick have more pressure on them this year than Bradford? Bradford, while not currently showing the All-Pro trajectory fans were hoping for, has suffered a bad season ('11) and bounced back ('12). Wilson and Kaepernick have had one good season against defenses who will no doubt be better prepared when facing them this season.
by Tackleberry June 11 at 6:31 PM

While there's no doubt there will be some pressure on Wilson and Kaepernick to pick up where they left off, I still think there will be more pressure on Bradford just because it's his fourth year and he was a No. 1 overall draft pick. Time to go, thanks for the questions. . . .
by jthomas June 11 at 6:33 PM

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
hey jim, are the rams dissatisfied at this point with the current situation at safety? if tj mcdonald struggles they could be in big trouble.

No, they appear to be satisfied. Don't forget Rodney McLeod. He's looked good in the OTAs I have attended, and has the kind of range you need at free safety.

I don't know the level of "in the know" he is but that sounds good. :bg: